Frank... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Frank...

I wonder if the procedure that Tua got done @ Andrews could have been helpful?

Tua had his syndesmosis (tib/ligament complex) repaired. I don't know what Frank had done but it was probability more severe than that.

You're probably right, Jake. He has no explosiveness. This might be as good as it gets for Frank. That would suck.

Not to be a smart arse, but I haven't seen much "explosiveness" in 4 years from Frank, that is clearly not close to being an attribute of his, injury or no injury. Frank has always struggled getting by his defender and creating space, it's why he has to push off as much as he does, especially with an average handle as well. If he had a stronger handle, with his size, he should be able to get to the hoop with much more frequency than he has during his 4 years. The injury no doubt has slowed him down even more, something he could ill afford to take on.

Prior to his injury, JB stated he "wasn't missing anything" in practice, not that he was blowing by people, etc. Hopefully, he continues to get healthier (maybe mentally more than physically) so that at least he becomes a serious threat/more consistency from a shooting standpoint.

Not to be a smart arse, but I haven't seen much "explosiveness" in 4 years from Frank, that is clearly not close to being an attribute of his, injury or no injury. Frank has always struggled getting by his defender and creating space, it's why he has to push off as much as he does, especially with an average handle as well. If he had a stronger handle, with his size, he should be able to get to the hoop with much more frequency than he has during his 4 years. The injury no doubt has slowed him down even more, something he could ill afford to take on.

Prior to his injury, JB stated he "wasn't missing anything" in practice, not that he was blowing by people, etc. Hopefully, he continues to get healthier (maybe mentally more than physically) so that at least he becomes a serious threat/more consistency from a shooting standpoint.

He'd probably be a pretty decent 2 guard, which is what he is.

Had surgery for a broken ankle or lower leg.
I think we can be pretty sure now it was a broken ankle. During a home game a few games ago LePhonso Ellis was the color announcer. He said he always talks with his good friend Red Autry first thing when in Syracuse. Ellis said he talked with Red about the team for 20-30 minutes. A few minutes later when talking about Frank playing after his injury Ellis said Frank broke his ankle. I think that info had to come from Autry.

Maybe it's just me, but I thought there was much more motion today, and I don't recall us actually passing the ball to that spot nearly as much as we did today at all this season.
Overall, saw some nice give and go's vs. ND. Basic, but we weren't doing much of that in the losses.

He'd probably be a pretty decent 2 guard, which is what he is.
Best passer here since Ennis. See’s the floor better than anybody. Looks off defenders with his passes as well as anybody I’ve seen. Doesn’t shoot it terribly well.

yeah...he’s a 2 guard.

Best passer here since Ennis. See’s the floor better than anybody. Looks off defenders with his passes as well as anybody I’ve seen. Doesn’t shoot it terribly well.

yeah...he’s a 2 guard.

He shot ok from 3 last year. According to Boeheim he was shooting very well before the injury.

He’s never really been able to go by people and often has struggled when pressured. He’s good at some aspects of being a PG, but that’s a pretty big flaw. His passing would still be there from the SG spot.

It’s irrelevant because the best player on the team is a SG, but I don’t think it’s crazy to suggest he’d be more effective as the 2...provided we had another PG. If we weren’t a 100% zone team I’d be curious to see how a Carey, Howard, Battle, Hughes, (and a Center - I guess) lineup would play. I think we’d be way better offensively with that...unfortunately the missing piece would be a Center who can play man defense and catch the ball and finish.

The thing people can’t “see” because it’s not a stat or obvious, is the huge difference between frank and jalen (and Tyus when he is at pg) when it comes to “running or managing” the offense. He’s often moving guys, pointing to guys, calling for screens not just for himself but others, etc. Except for the rare young player, that comes with experience and confidence. This team needs a PG, and Jalen right now just isn’t one. It’s his first year playing it. It’s Franks 5th. The shame is that Frank can be a creative passer and sees the court but we don’t have bigs that can catch the ball and immediately go up and flush it. If we did, Franks skills would be even more obvious.

The thing people can’t “see” because it’s not a stat or obvious, is the huge difference between frank and jalen (and Tyus when he is at pg) when it comes to “running or managing” the offense. He’s often moving guys, pointing to guys, calling for screens not just for himself but others, etc. Except for the rare young player, that comes with experience and confidence. This team needs a PG, and Jalen right now just isn’t one. It’s his first year playing it. It’s Franks 5th. The shame is that Frank can be a creative passer and sees the court but we don’t have bigs that can catch the ball and immediately go up and flush it. If we did, Franks skills would be even more obvious.

I agree with that. And it’s why I wish they could be in there together. I think their games could compliment each other pretty well. Unfortunately the roster makeup and defensive system doesn’t really make that feasible.

Not to nit pick, but I think it's Frank's 4th year, I don't recall him red-shirting.

He shot ok from 3 last year. According to Boeheim he was shooting very well before the injury.

He’s never really been able to go by people and often has struggled when pressured. He’s good at some aspects of being a PG, but that’s a pretty big flaw. His passing would still be there from the SG spot.

It’s irrelevant because the best player on the team is a SG, but I don’t think it’s crazy to suggest he’d be more effective as the 2...provided we had another PG. If we weren’t a 100% zone team I’d be curious to see how a Carey, Howard, Battle, Hughes, (and a Center - I guess) lineup would play. I think we’d be way better offensively with that...unfortunately the missing piece would be a Center who can play man defense and catch the ball and finish.

Getting back his shooting touch, after a broken ankle, may take a little time, We all know shooting is 90% from the legs and any change there can impact percentages of makes until the player can get used to it.

He may know the offense better than a frosh in Carey. He also has a better outside shot at this point in his career. However, The offense still seems to grind to a halt when he’s in and it felt like we weren’t going to score 20 points in the first half if JB hadn’t put Carey in.

Not to nit pick, but I think it's Frank's 4th year, I don't recall him red-shirting.

He played a lot PG his HS senior season and AAU. Sorry is wasn’t clear.

I agree with that. And it’s why I wish they could be in there together. I think their games could compliment each other pretty well. Unfortunately the roster makeup and defensive system doesn’t really make that feasible.

IMO, the few minutes battle gets a blow or even Hughes, Howard and Carey should be in together.

He still doesn’t look healthy to me. His lateral quickness at the top of the zone is not good. Several times he didn’t even try to get out on shooters. And he’s a step slow when he does.

He’s also not shooting it as well as he can.

Right now Carey is a ginormous step up athletically up top.

Need them both, but I’m not sure Frank is going to be 100% at all this year.

Yeah, he's definitely not there yet...

Hopefully he will make steady progress tho.

Either way, jalen stepping up and showing more consistency in his game, so things are coming around

I think the difference between Frank and Carey defensively is obvious. Carey has much better lateral movement, is faster on closeouts on the perimeter, has superior speed to recover and gets more deflections.
Offensively Frank still can’t get past his defender and get to the basket. His shot isn’t falling. I’d play then equally right now and go with the hot hand.

I've had the thought that if you liked winning 50-49, Tyler Ennis was your PG. If you'd rather win 89-85, it's Frank. Count me behind door no. 2.
Frank definitely loves to get out and push it, no question.

Not sure if serious. Actually pretty sure you’re serious.

I used to really like Frank - at this my opinion varies wildly game to game. His Frosh campaign it seemed like he had great vision, an ability to get to the rim, and some trouble with decision making. Maybe the game was still a bit too fast for him though - he was a Frosh. As he's progressed, and refined his game, he seems more like a good defensive PG (limited this year by injury in that department) and just sort of plodding. He has his moments, and the injury is impactful, but I thought we would see more by now. Still impressed by how much he improved his shot though...

It's all fine...just thought he would develop into a more dynamic player.

At this point I consider Frank as a huge X factor for the balance of the season. If the team continues to play at the level they have the last three games we probably end up on the good side of the bubble as a 9 - 11 seed with a chance to do some damage in the tournament dependent on matchups. If Frank returns to the form he showed pre-injury I think the ceiling raises significantly and we would rise to dark horse Final Four contention.

With an improved defense and four double figure scorers this team becomes what we thought they would be and as much as we'd like improved play from the 5, that almost becomes a luxury. I'll take the 2 point, 15 rebound, 2 block performance that our three headed center provided on Saturday every game.

At this point I consider Frank as a huge X factor for the balance of the season. If the team continues to play at the level they have the last three games we probably end up on the good side of the bubble as a 9 - 11 seed with a chance to do some damage in the tournament dependent on matchups. If Frank returns to the form he showed pre-injury I think the ceiling raises significantly and we would rise to dark horse Final Four contention.

With an improved defense and four double figure scorers this team becomes what we thought they would be and as much as we'd like improved play from the 5, that almost becomes a luxury. I'll take the 2 point, 15 rebound, 2 block performance that our three headed center provided on Saturday every game.
The center position would have produced more points if Marek wasn't fouled out. He can actually shoot and pick, roll, catch, score.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom