Free Throws | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Free Throws

I sort of disagree with the conclusion. We play alot of crappy teams. To say that equaling them in ft percentage is not a black eye on our FT shooting is being fairly lenient.
There are also a LOT of really good teams in those historical numbers, including a lot of pressure BE and NCAA tourney games.

Overlooked in this discussion, is how great this post is. Thanks, SWC. Great stuff, as usual.

Until we start shooting free throws better, opponents will continue to hammer our inside players rather than playing honest defense and giving us a field goal. I bet we're putting more opponents in foul trouble (particularly their inside players) because of our lackluster free throw shooting too. For every action there's a reaction or effect.

Thanks for the stats SWC. The way I look at it, for the last 20 years we were below the NCAA average 12 years (tied once and above 8 times). If we are a Top Twenty program, shouldn't we be better than average, at least most of the time ?

Until we start shooting free throws better, opponents will continue to hammer our inside players rather than playing honest defense and giving us a field goal. I bet we're putting more opponents in foul trouble (particularly their inside players) because of our lackluster free throw shooting too. For every action there's a reaction or effect.

good point CH . that would seem to be the one silver lining of our gift stripe glaucoma but in point of fact the last 3 games in spite of committing fewer fouls we haven't disqualified any opponents and yet somehow managed to lose both triche and southerland ourselves.

and this year we are currently 310 out of 347 teams

310 Syracuse 12 80.8 16.1 25.6 193 307 .629

we suck at it...just face it

good point CH . that would seem to be the one silver lining of our gift stripe glaucoma but in point of fact the last 3 games in spite of committing fewer fouls we haven't disqualified any opponents and yet somehow managed to lose both triche and southerland ourselves.

It's really just the last 2 games that opponents decided to use the foul strategy against us. We've shot only 50% on 31 of 62 free throws in those 2 games. Before the last two games our free throw shooting wasn't a strength but at least it wasn't a huge weakness at 66.1%. We were averaging taking 24 free throws a game before the Temple game and now teams are giving us 31 ft shots . Players like DC, Grant, Triche and Southerland are being targeted to foul rather than letting them drive successfully to the basket till they prove they can make them on a consistent basis.

i would certainly hope that depth of bench would be our one strong suit against the little debbies decembrists.

Our problem is that we never remember when the opposition missed critical or too many free throws.

I remember and am still grateful to the Rock Chalk Brickhawks for their .400 FT percentage on 4/7/03. Collison and Graves were wonderful to us that day.

Also grateful for your consistently excellent posts, SWC. Thanks as always!

GO ORANGE

Thanks for the stats SWC. The way I look at it, for the last 20 years we were below the NCAA average 12 years (tied once and above 8 times). If we are a Top Twenty program, shouldn't we be better than average, at least most of the time ?

This assumes that shooting free throws makes you a top 20 team.

I don't ubderstand the conclusions drawn here at all. If we are below the national average that means we dont shoot FTs well. That's it end of discussion. The opponents not shooting well doesn't justify SU not shooting well. JB doesn't teach FT shooting well, I would say you can't even debate that.

Good idea pearl. Why don't you jump right on that and let us know the results. Would be an interesting stat.
How about identifying games where the opponents FT shooting helped SU win?

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

I don't ubderstand the conclusions drawn here at all. If we are below the national average that means we dont shoot FTs well. That's it end of discussion. The opponents not shooting well doesn't justify SU not shooting well. JB doesn't teach FT shooting well, I would say you can't even debate that.

If the opponents have shot the same that suggests the venue has been significant. Those are all kinds of different opponents and coaches. We are talking 30 years here with most of the games in the Dome.

There. I debated it. :cool:

how about somehow identifying the losses over the years in which SU's poor FT shooting was the deciding factor...
temple 2012 and indiana 1987 are two that come to mind.

temple 2012 and indiana 1987 are two that come to mind.
Well Rony Seikaly dribbling a breakaway off his knee cost us 2 points as well.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Kind of makes you wonder about the 3pt line ... they keep moving it back because the % keeps going up ... yet FT % has been pretty much stagnant and teh FT line has never moved.

Also makes you wonder about the justification of free throws in general. Going by % it is more of a penalty to have 2 FTs. Wonder what people would think about having 3 shots to make 2 FTs. Would probably slow the game too much.

Kind of makes you wonder about the 3pt line ... they keep moving it back because the % keeps going up ... yet FT % has been pretty much stagnant and teh FT line has never moved.

Also makes you wonder about the justification of free throws in general. Going by % it is more of a penalty to have 2 FTs. Wonder what people would think about having 3 shots to make 2 FTs. Would probably slow the game too much.

I wouldn't want 3 to make 2 for that reason. I've hated it in the NBA. I think the problem with free thows is no glamour. The kids get more excited about the treys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom