Fresno St QB in Portal | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Fresno St QB in Portal

We should absolutely be looking to bring in a QB from the transfer portal. We only have 3 on the roster, might have one more join in the recruiting class, but he will not have been a plan A.

Problem is that the new OC needs to be part of the discussion. So without that hire in place, there isn't much we can do.

And to add to that, we clearly didn’t have a QB the staff thought was even ready to play in garbage time minus a few hand offs in one game. So I’m not too optimistic about our back QB’s for next year if we wouldn’t even put them in to see how they did in at least 2 games.

By the time he graduated he didn't have any committable p5 offers. We're not grabbing Toledo's backup.
Probably not...but it's more realistic than Haener or some of the other QBs mentioned in this thread.

If we get a QB in the portal, many of us are going to say "who?"

ND has a QB transferring. As mentioned in another post, Oklahoma has a QB transferring. Ohio State has a QB transferring. The question is, do we really need any of them? Is the SU QB room that bereft of talent?

I'd rather SU pound the portal for linemen, linebackers, and wide receivers.

By the way, Ohio State is left with only three QB's, all underclassmen. Whatever will they do?
yeah and the one QB who's Big10 Freshman and Player of the Year may win the Heisman. lol. Our H-back throws roughly 40 percent of 8 yards or more, and isn't proficient on a 5 yard slant. Big difference there.

He’s also actually a good QB, not a glorified TE.
you anti shrader guys are so tiresome and can be real d bags. Nice job making this same post on here for about the 700th time.

Dude was injured half the season. Guy against Pitt and VT is the guy we hopefully see all next year. Ya know the guy who had more yards, a better qbr passing rating, a better PFF yard rating than the all ACC conference soon to be All east, soon to be AA qb he just played against.

Hope when he tears up next season you and the rest of the Shrader haters will zip it. No I hope you all zip it now and S T F up already.

you anti shrader guys are so tiresome and can be real d bags. Nice job making this same post on here for about the 700th time.

Dude was injured half the season. Guy against Pitt and VT is the guy we hopefully see all next year. Ya know the guy who had more yards, a better qbr passing rating, a better PFF yard rating than the all ACC conference soon to be All east, soon to be AA qb he just played against.

Hope when he tears up next season you and the rest of the Shrader haters will zip it. No I hope you all zip it now and S T F up already.

Thanks to you for saying what we are all thinking

Notice how the man who keeps claiming we have a converted TE at qb hasn’t responded to me…

Still trying to figure out who exactly he’s talking about but I’m sure it’s Shrader…

Too bad Shrader was a highly coveted QB recruit, including a lot of SEC schools.

When Mike Lynch came over he wanted a pro style qb (not Shrader style at all) but knew Shrader was a gamer so wanted him to play so moved him to…. WR (not TE as y’all keep saying). I’m assuming the few haters haven’t watched a lot of Syracuse Football so they probably missed his 42 yard perfectly placed pass to Alford against VT where he got absolutely leveled because the OL just decided to not even touch his guy.

Shrader literally laid on the ground and only got up because Dino came over to him….and after that game, suddenly his throws were off…..imagine that.

Let’s chill on Shrader until we see what the new OC a does with him and he’s had a full off season running with the first team and we know he’s fully healthy

I hope we can bring in a competent QB coach who works with him 8 hours a day in the Summer on His passing tree routes...The fact that he completes 40 percent on passes of 8 yards or more is worrisome. He's a good Runner, but he's far from a competent QB...Sometimes, his best pass is a 50 yard deep ball YOLO. Which proves he has arm talent, but for all you bitching and moaning about Babers being back, do you really think a new HC would want Schrader as his QB...More likely if he's from a G5 school or FCS, he'd bring in a kid who he recruited at a James Madison, Delaware type situation to compete against Schrader...I cannot even fathom how you some of you think Garrett Schrader is an adequate passer when he missed so many 5-7 yard slants, badly...He has arm talent for sure, and maybe he's rusty; however, if Mike Leach moved him off QB at Miss St., that should tell you something.

Last edited:

The guy against Pitt who ran drives 2-6 in the first half and gathered a total of 14 offensive yards? He had 2 good drives and looked pedestrian at best the rest of the game against a very suspect Pitt secondary.

You can live in Lala land all you want, but us in the real world see that his limitations are a problem and it’s going to take a change at QB to make this team successful. He has grit, and he’s funny in press conferences but even the coaches see his passing is just not up to an ACC level.

Rex was a QB recruit who we moved to TE and then back to qb because we had so many injuries to the Qb last season

I guess I shouldn’t take your criticism so seriously, it’s apparent you don’t watch very much Syracuse Football

Wouldn’t be surprised if this was a burner account…….
Are you dumb bud? Both of those players were moved from the QB position because they couldn’t compete with the other QBs on the roster. Shrader was converted back from WR when he came to Syracuse and Rex was converted back from TE in 2020. You really want to try and pretend Syracuse doesn’t have a QB problem when in the last 2 years they’ve had guys who didn’t even play the position the previous year on the two deep?

Are you dumb bud? Both of those players were moved from the QB position because they couldn’t compete with the other QBs on the roster. Shrader was converted back from WR when he came to Syracuse and Rex was converted back from TE in 2020. You really want to try and pretend Syracuse doesn’t have a QB problem when in the last 2 years they’ve had guys who didn’t even play the position the previous year on the two deep?

Shrader only was moved due to the fact that Mike Lynch doesn’t like a dual threat qb. He wants a pocket passer

Rex, was never supposed to come back to being a QB but had to out of pure need. Last year, we 100% had a qb issue.

Going into this off-season we have Shrader, Morgan and Lamson. We are probably going to pick up Jalen out of Cali.

That puts 4qbs in the room. Shrader was clearly hurt pretty bad for those final 4 games after VT.

But hey, keep rocking what you’re rock my dude

Let me guess, you think Tommy Devito would have been the savior

Shrader only was moved due to the fact that Mike Lynch doesn’t like a dual threat qb. He wants a pocket passer

Rex, was never supposed to come back to being a QB but had to out of pure need. Last year, we 100% had a qb issue.

Going into this off-season we have Shrader, Morgan and Lamson. We are probably going to pick up Jalen out of Cali.

That puts 4qbs in the room. Shrader was clearly hurt pretty bad for those final 4 games after VT.

I'm sick of the Shrader bagging. Without him we probably don't win a single ACC game. He was darn close in so many games, and made clutch plays. Tommy Devito in his two years starting didn't make a single clutch throw to win a game. His one and only came as relief in 2018.

Shrader threw the game winner against Virginia Tech an absolute beauty
Threw the game tying pass and made plays to put us in position to beat Wake Forest
Led the team to a makeable field goal against Clemson
Got the game tied against Florida St.

He had three games where he made plays in crunch time, Tommy Simply never did. I look forward to another year of Shrader, he and Tucker are the biggest pluses I look forward to watching next year. He will never be an amazing passer, but he certainly could be Eric Dungey, get the kid a real play caller, and another year practicing QB, and he could fly. Against Pitt he was the lone bright spot on offense, wasn't perfect, but completed 70% of passes for two touchdowns, that's dang good. When he is confident his throws are good, I think coaching needs to let him play a little looser like he did at Miss St under Moorhead.

He’s also actually a good QB, not a glorified TE.
I think Shrader is fine. Not good, but fine for a college QB. I don't think it would be a terrible idea to bring in another transfer QB and I wouldn't at all be surprised if whatever OC we hire might have some ideas in that department. But I wouldn't want it to be Rattler, because he's a 5 star d*bag.

I'm sick of the Shrader bagging. Without him we probably don't win a single ACC game. He was darn close in so many games, and made clutch plays. Tommy Devito in his two years starting didn't make a single clutch throw to win a game. His one and only came as relief in 2018.

Shrader threw the game winner against Virginia Tech an absolute beauty
Threw the game tying pass and made plays to put us in position to beat Wake Forest
Led the team to a makeable field goal against Clemson
Got the game tied against Florida St.

He had three games where he made plays in crunch time, Tommy Simply never did. I look forward to another year of Shrader, he and Tucker are the biggest pluses I look forward to watching next year. He will never be an amazing passer, but he certainly could be Eric Dungey, get the kid a real play caller, and another year practicing QB, and he could fly. Against Pitt he was the lone bright spot on offense, wasn't perfect, but completed 70% of passes for two touchdowns, that's dang good. When he is confident his throws are good, I think coaching needs to let him play a little looser like he did at Miss St under Moorhead.

Exactly. Is Shrader the best qb ever??

Absolutely not.

Will he make it to the NFL as a QB?

No way

The kids got guts and the will to win games. Give him an off season working with all the first time WRs and I think he’s going to surprise a lot of people

The guy against Pitt who ran drives 2-6 in the first half and gathered a total of 14 offensive yards? He had 2 good drives and looked pedestrian at best the rest of the game against a very suspect Pitt secondary.

You can live in Lala land all you want, but us in the real world see that his limitations are a problem and it’s going to take a change at QB to make this team successful. He has grit, and he’s funny in press conferences but even the coaches see his passing is just not up to an ACC level.
it already took a change at qb to make this team successful. Successful in a relative sense, when they put GS in (finally!), more successful if the change had not been made, successful enough to get close a bowl season, which would have occurred if not for some significant coaching deficiencies not the least of which was not having the kid start play the lionshsare of the game against Rutgers.

Of course he's limited. Other than DM name one Syracuse qb who was not "limited", one. We're not getting the stars here, period, end of story. Should we try to recruit over him? Of course, you know why? Because he's LIMITED and because this is FBS. So yeah try, it likely won't happen so lets see what this kid can do with a full offseason, a full year of working with his receivers, a full year in the system. I have no doubt he has the physical skills to be good, maybe even beyond that.

So enough with the slams, we all know he's got to get better, lets see if he can. I think he can and will and then maybe just maybe the critics zip it.

Last edited:
I'm suspect of Shrader's passing and have been since the beginning. But there's no denying he's a gamer and can do most of the other things the position requires.

The new OC will have to max his strengths and get him proficient enough throwing that it's a legit threat.

New OC with his prize QB is my dream. But damn…my dreams only materialize 44% of the time.
Look before he had cancer, and sat out a year, and when Lewis was QB coach Culpepper had fairly good stats. Then We have had Martin, and Gilbert neither who have shown ability to teach the position.
Get someone like Lewis who was able to use Mahoney, and Culpepper, and be able to produce in the passing game. 2016 and 2017 the records are there so go back and look, we need a good QB coach.

No that’s I don’t think Tommy was the answer, which is why I’m advocating for a real QB to come in. Clearly Morgan ain’t it if he couldn’t see the field this year.

I think Shrader is fine. Not good, but fine for a college QB. I don't think it would be a terrible idea to bring in another transfer QB and I wouldn't at all be surprised if whatever OC we hire might have some ideas in that department. But I wouldn't want it to be Rattler, because he's a 5 star d*bag.
5 star none the less. Mike Williams was an a hole, didn’t mean he couldn’t help the team.

it already took a change at qb to make this team successful. Successful in a relative sense, when they put GS in (finally!), more successful if the change had not been made, successful enough to get close a bowl season, which would have occurred if not for some significant coaching deficiencies not the least of which was not having the kid play against Rutgers.

Of course he's limited. Other than DM name one Syracuse qb who was not "limited", one. We're not getting the stars here, period, end of story. Should we try to recruit over him? Of course, you know why? Because he's LIMITED and because this is FBS. So yeah try, it likely won't happen so lets see what this kid can do with a full offseason, a full year of working with his receivers, a full year in the system. I have no doubt he has the physical skills to be good, maybe even beyond that.

So enough with the slams, we all know he's got to get better, lets see if he can. I think he can and will and then maybe just maybe the critics zip it.
Okay let me change my tune, he’s not JUST limited, he is completely ineffective when you take away his legs. He’s an option QB that’s too tall to be an option QB. Nassib was a good QB, Dungey was a good QB, hell try out Terrell hunt on this team and you probably win six games. As for the Rutgers game, he did get to play, and he didnt look very good and competely threw off any rythym Syracuse had going.

What makes you think he will magically become good? His weak arm? His inability to throw the ball away? His lack of a mental clock?

Okay let me change my tune, he’s not JUST limited, he is completely ineffective when you take away his legs. He’s an option QB that’s too tall to be an option QB. Nassib was a good QB, Dungey was a good QB, hell try out Terrell hunt on this team and you probably win six games. As for the Rutgers game, he did get to play, and he didnt look very good and competely threw off any rythym Syracuse had going.

What makes you think he will magically become good? His weak arm? His inability to throw the ball away? His lack of a mental clock?
well you'd be an ineffective poster if you take away your right arm. Ridiculous nonsensical inaccurate take.

When he's doing well next year, better than this year the solace many of us will have is the knowledge that you unfair critics will be twisting in the wind not able to enjoy the success of his efforts and growth nor Syracuse footballs resurgence. You make him sound like Troy nunes. Way off not worth debating when one goes off the rails so spectacularly. Congrats.