Fresno St QB in Portal | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Fresno St QB in Portal

I'm by no means "anti-Shrader" but I sure as hell hope that there is competition for the job this spring/summer. There is no debating that he is extremely limited as a passer. We all get excited about him because of the toughness and reminding us of Dungey in kind of physically trying to will the team to victory, which he did a few times this fall. I would certainly expect him to improve with more time and experience and maybe he becomes an average passer which would be pretty darn good combined with exceptional running ability. I imagine that is the most reasonable outcome of what his ceiling is as a passer unless he's working with John Beck or Jordan Palmer or one of those guys and they completely take apart and rebuild his stroke.

I just fear that if he's our guy the next 2 years and he only goes from Bad to Not Good as a passer that we're kind of just going to be stuck in neutral given that it's the most important position on the field in terms of wins and losses.

Sorry as I think I conflated you with the anti-Shrader crowd, apologies on that.

But the only way to effectively address this “limited“ discussion is the talk about the numbers.

If you don’t think a quarterback who had 155 yards rushing his entire season,more interceptions than touchdowns on a team with a record of 7–4-2, if that is not similarly “limited” as with Shraders early career situation, then I don’t know what to tell you.

Similarly with McPherson, Schrader in his less than one full season here has more rushing yardage then in McPherson‘s first 3 seasons, and in point in fact in that one 3/4 first season has rushing yards that is approaching what McPherson had in his entire career as well. In terms of passing he Has early in his career very similar numbers and in point of fact almost the exact early career passing numbers as Shrader that so many are disappointed with.

This while his team (McPhersons)was barely .500, to me that’s the definition of a similarly limited qb as well just like our current guy early in his career.

So Good lord right back at you for not seeing the reality of the situation in how they are/were all “limited” at the same early stages of all their careers.
The “anti-Shrader” crowd is awfully small. The “needs to progress as a passer crowd” is near everyone.

And we’re all pulling for him.

Im not being a dick, im stating the obvious. He didn’t have the arm strength to even be in the QB room. He had middling success at Mississippi state with SEC level athletes, and he had middling stats at Syracuse with ACC level athletes, he’s a middle of the road QB at best and a complete dud at worst. No one has given me a single trait he has that makes him a serviceable QB of the future.

He was a true freshman against SEC teams.

The kid didn’t have any run with the first team in the off season.

He got hurt.

Is he the greatest thrower ever? Nope.

But then again, neither was Eric Dungey and we got 10 wins with him.

The kid can extend plays with his feet and is a great rep for the team. Good kid with a good head on his shoulders. Just out there trying to win as many games as possible and doesn’t care to brag about it on social
Media. Not looking to be a stat stuffer.

Like I said, no one on here doesn’t think that he needs to improve some things but he has an off-season to do so.

All you do is keep ragging on the kid like a jealous ex. Did he do something to personally make you upset? What’s up with your absolute hatred towards him? I went through almost all of your posts since you joined on here and all you do is hate on Syracuse for literally everything.

He got hurt.

The kid can extend plays with his feet and is a great rep for the team. Good kid with a good head on his shoulders. Just out there trying to win as many games as possible and doesn’t care to brag about it on social

Like I said, no one on here doesn’t think that he needs to improve some things but he has an off-season to do so.

All you do is keep ragging on the kid like a jealous ex. Did he do something to personally make you upset? What’s up with your absolute hatred towards him? I went through almost all of your posts since you joined on here and all you do is hate on Syracuse for literally everything.
Great post, exactly. Never can fully grasp the minds of haters and trolls. Time to move on…..but unlike the td vs Gs debates we had on here earlier this fall with good posters on both sides, so no need to rehash it directly with them, this I’ll remember come next year (hopeful) succes and will look forward to bringing it back up directly with this one.

The “anti-Shrader” crowd is awfully small. The “needs to progress as a passer crowd” is near everyone.

That's it in a nutshell.

I hope we bring in a guy from the portal, not because I am anti-Shrader, but rather we are thin in numbers at QB, it wouldn't remotely surprise me to see a current one leave, and quality competition/depth at the position is always healthy. I expect Garrett to have a good Spring and hopefully we will have the luxury of a second guy who can both push him for the position as well as be insurance in case of injury.

That's it in a nutshell.

I hope we bring in a guy from the portal, not because I am anti-Shrader, but rather we are thin in numbers at QB, it wouldn't remotely surprise me to see a current one leave, and quality competition/depth at the position is always healthy. I expect Garrett to have a good Spring and hopefully we will have the luxury of a second guy who can both push him for the position as well as be insurance in case of injury.

Everything is so dependent on the OC hire, which I'd bet is someone that did not coach under Babers.

And hoping Lamson is the one pushing for the position. That would be so awesome.

maybe we get lucky and hire one of these OC's in transition flux and he brings a QB with him. Pie in the sky I know.
Aka The Kaiser Plan.

Syracuse absolutely needs to bring in a starting P5 caliber QB, there’s not 1 on the roster now.

If him and the new OC already are on the same page, then we can dumb down the routes to the starting P5 caliber WRs we also run out there.

So in the you learn something new everyday file…universally acknowledged QB guru Mike Leach not only took 1 look at Shrader and said not a QB, he also said NOT A TE??!

That fact my friends, is the biggest concern to me.

Leach doesn’t think he’s tough either?

No wonder why when he was ‘hurt’, Dino kept running him out there…..

ok I'll give this point Graves had a good to great career contributing earlier than I recall (long long time ago). And, yes, lets stipulate that as I've noted in about 20 previous posts that at this point in his young career GS is limited and needs to improve.

BUT the main point stands accurate, Marvin WAS limited just like GS at a similar point early on in his career, just in a different way:

lets look at the numbers both first year in the program and overall careers to get an accurate comparison of where these two players stack up against one another year one and more.

Both qb %'s come in at less than 60% overall for a career both in the 50%'s completion rates both first year (58% vs 53%) and the career. Graves played in the less than scary old BE and his first year with us still independent.

GS played against SEC and ACC competition and despite this no comparison in competition the overall numbers still work in GS's favor by a long LONG shot. And as mentioned as he evolves hopefully it all get better.

In GS first year here (3/4 of a season essentially) vs. Graves first full season here: MG has 1700+ yards passing but 9 td's against 11 Int's. In fact his overall career is 48 tds vs 45 ints. Not exactly stellar numbers. And again, against much much lesser competition.

Shraders first year passing Td's is 9 against 4 int's. Career so far is 17 td's vs. 9 ints. That stacks up well vs. MG. Shrader in not even a full year for his first year here, year one rushing yards are more in that first year vs MG's ENTIRE career.

GS in his less than a full season his first year here had 800 yards rushing with 14 more TD's. 5 td's for MG vs 14 year one for GS. Career hes almost at 1400 yards Rushing and 20td's. Graves entire career rushing yards is less than 300 yards, first year 155 yards! That is the definition of limited in my book

MG had 17 td's his entire career rushing vs shraders 20 with with GS still having 3 years left to play. Overall total TD's year one MG had 14 vs. Shraders 23.

So yeah we can do this all day but the numbers don't lie and favor my arguement. That’s an apples to apples look at things and not an apples to oranges. For some reason too many of you are not willing to give GS credit and his due. I for one don't get the self defeating message that sends.
Compare QB rating against peers. No comparison. Put Graves in a time machine, you think they're the same in any way, no way

So in the you learn something new everyday file…universally acknowledged QB guru Mike Leach not only took 1 look at Shrader and said not a QB, he also said NOT A TE??!

Leach doesn't really want TE anyway

Yeah ok kev Shraders not tough, if that’s what you’re saying get your head examined bro on that one.

Im in this camp. Love the guys toughness and running ability. Helps the run game with Tucker tremendously.

That he has been allowed (via coaching) to continue with his current throwing motion at this level is tough to understand. Slow release, bad footwork and shot put arm motion leads to heavy throws with very little accuracy.

I am rooting for him but something has to change or its going to be more of the same. He doesn't have to be a great passer but he has to become a better passer to succeed. Him and the staff already know this (I assume) and will put in the necessary work.

Compare QB rating against peers. No comparison. Put Graves in a time machine, you think they're the same in any way, no way
If what you’re saying with that is that Shrader is limited in his skill set, needs to improve dramatically, and Syracuse needs to recruit over him if possible, Yep, I agree.

I only said it about 46 times previously within this thread and others. But the anti Shrader dopes are trying to make him sound like he’s Helen Keller or something, I mean come on man

If what you’re saying with that is that Shrader is limited in his skill set, needs to improve dramatically, and Syracuse needs to recruit over him if possible, Yep, I agree.

I only said it about 46 times previously within this thread and others. But the anti Shrader dopes are trying to make him sound like he’s Helen Keller or something, I mean come on man
Helen Keller couldn’t see the running lanes GS does

I’ll see myself out now

Everything is so dependent on the OC hire, which I'd bet is someone that did not coach under Babers.

And hoping Lamson is the one pushing for the position. That would be so awesome.
I noticed in warms up for the Pitt game Lamson had a knee brace on his right knee. Has he been wearing the brace all year or was he injured in practice late in the season?

We 100% should try in bring in a QB this cycle, and bring in the best QB we can possibly get whether that is a transfer or a HS recruit. If any of the current QBs on the roster do not like it then they are obviously free to transfer. Competition is not just important but necessary at this level and the QB position is the most important position on the field. Players get injured, players transfer, and we just went 5-7 so there is definitely room for improvement. I think the Devito years are a good example of what happens when you dont have more than one true QB option on your roster.
Agreed. If a Transfer comes in and out plays GS than it's that player's job...The fawning over players, and proclaiming them the starter next year because they rushed for 175 Yards, and had 3 rushing TDs in a game, instead of winning is remarkable around here. He needs to work 6-8 hours a day on the passing tree in the summer...Bring a Grad Transfer from a Smaller School in G5 or the FCS with a bit of arm talent who wants to get a Master's should push him to do that .Do you think Oklahoma fans gave much gripe when they switched off of Spencer Rattler in the middle of the season because he was awful, and Williams lit it up, and won the game they were down big in...I'm not saying GS should not be the starter, but any healthy program who went 5-7 would bring in a kid to compete...Then again Syracuse isn't exactly a healthy program...

He got hurt.

Just keeping your expectations realistic. He’s not the savior and he’s not Dungey either, he doesn’t have the instincts Dungey did his freshman year.

The biggest set of balls we've seen since Dungey graduated.
Well that’s not saying much seeing as that was 3 years ago, and he isn’t in Dungeys ball park those comparisons begin and end with being a better runner than a thrower.

Yeah ok kev Shraders not tough, if that’s what you’re saying get your head examined bro on that one.
I don’t know, never met him and he hasn’t played enough for me to determine if he’s tough. I do know he can’t throw, which makes us pretty one dimensional and has everyone running to the portal it seems.

Just poking fun at all the angst on both sides.

I’m in the Dino doesn’t know how to run a simple QB friendly offense camp.

And he doesn’t know how to teach someone like him, to throw.

Which is a dangerous combination that likely ends with sub .500 W/L record.

I don’t know, never met him and he hasn’t played enough for me to determine if he’s tough. I do know he can’t throw, which makes us pretty one dimensional and has everyone running to the portal it seems.

Just poking fun at all the angst on both sides.

I’m in the Dino doesn’t know how to run a simple QB friendly offense camp.

And he doesn’t know how to teach someone like him, to throw.

Which is a dangerous combination that likely ends with sub .500 W/L record.

I agree that Dino does not know how to develop a QB and so far the offensive coaches he has brought in also haven’t know how to develop qbs

Hoping this next hire is a home run and can help take GS to the next level with passing, even if he is just serviceable to allow the run game to open up for him and Tucker