Friday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Friday Articles

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
Former Players

120411_9--nfl_large_580_1000.jpg

From an interview with linebacker Isaiah Ekejiuba, who just became a free agent on Tuesday after spending the last two years with the Detroit Lions

POD: Speaking of one of the younger guys. Doug Hogue, a guy that we brought in, drafted last year, is also a linebacker. He spent most of his time in the special teams, which is your expertise. Did you get a chance to kind of work with him, talk with him and what did you see from him if you got a chance to kind of work with him a little bit this year?

IE: Yeah, I did. I actually worked with Doug a lot this year. Doug is a very smart guy, talented, athletic. He wouldn't be in the league if he wasn't. With the linebackers we had this year -- DeAndre Levy, Justin Durant and Stephen Tulloch starting -- his role, he realized, was going to be special teams. And he put in a lot of work. I tried to help him out, doing different looks. I've been in the league -- I just finished my seventh year -- so I've seen a lot of the looks that I was trying to help him out with that early in my career had kind of bothered me. We just worked at that, and he picked up a lot of it really quickly. Like I said, he's a very athletic and very smart kind. He's a great addition to the Lions
PoD

Vickers an upgrade over Fiammetta in run blocking

It's possible the cap hit cost the Cowboys fullback Tony Fiammetta, who was let go rather than pay him $1.26 million this season. Vickers was signed for a reported base salary of $800,000 this season plus a $200,000 signing bonus.

So we're not talking a huge savings by allowing Fiammetta to walk. More likely, Fiammetta wasn't as productive after missing several games with an inner ear problem, while Vickers is a proven blocker.
FSSW

10687498-large.jpg

Agent: Patriots, Steve Gregory agree

Opinion on Gregory deal

Steve Gregory Signs With Patriots, Will Compete for Starting Safety Position ...

San Diego reaction

Patriot reaction

From NBC

Patriots sign safety Steve Gregory and defensive tackle Marcus Harrison

Former Staff

Bob Casullo's mom Jeanette dies

Around The Big East

Big East mailblog

Bowl News

Ex-Fiesta Bowl exec pleads guilty to conspiracy

Around The Nation

Okla. St. front-loads Gundy's $30.3M contract