Friday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Friday Articles

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I am temporarily taking over the daily articles for OE as he recovers from surgery. Get well soon Dan.

The Declaration

img24503303.jpg

Tyler Ennis Leaving Syracuse to Enter NBA Draft (PS; Waters)

Prior to Ennis' announcement on Thursday, Boeheim joined Adam Schein on Sirius XM radio. Schein asked Boeheim what his thoughts were regarding Ennis' NBA potential.

"Well, I always think you have to be physically ready,'' Boeheim said. "He's still 175-80 pounds. To play point guard, the toughest position to go into the NBA is point guard. There's the most good players at that position and physical players. And I think he needs to get stronger. His shooting is getting better, but he needs to shoot the ball better and a year would really help him. A year would help him.''

TE's Father: SU Frosh Was Comfortable with Decision to Enter NBA Draft (PS; Waters)

The final decision came down to a telephone call between Tyler Ennis, who was still on the Syracuse University campus, and his parents, who back home in Brampton, Ontario.

The family conference call ended with the decision that Ennis, a 6-foot-2 guard, would enter the NBA draft after just one year at Syracuse.

"We had a good family discussion last night and felt comfortable with the direction it went,'' Tony McIntyre, Ennis' father, said Thursday. "Tyler felt comfortable. He wanted to make the decision before the weekend.''

TE Will Declare for the 2014 NBA Draft (CBS Sports; Parrish)

Ennis was a borderline top-25 prospect coming out of high school who flourished in one season while leading the Orange to a 25-0 start. The 6-foot-2 point guard averaged 12.9 points, 5.5 assists and 3.4 rebounds in 35.7 minutes per game. He's projected as a first-round lock who could go in the lottery. He's listed 19th in this mock draft.

TE To Enter NBA Draft (USA Today; Nicole Auerbach)

"I'd like to thank Coach (Jim) Boeheim, the coaching staff, my teammates and the amazing fans of Syracuse for the opportunity to play at a great university like Syracuse," Ennis said in a statement. "I feel this experience has helped prepare me to fulfill my lifelong dream – to play in the NBA."

Ennis averaged 12.9 points, 5.5 assists and 3.4 rebounds for the Orange this season. Syracuse lost to Dayton in the NCAA tournament's round of 32 last weekend.

TE Entering NBA Draft (Fox Sports; Anonymous)

Ennis finished second on the Orange in scoring at 12.9 points per game and averaged 5.5 assists to go with 1.7 turnovers, one of the top assist-to-turnover marks in the nation.

"He sat down with us and we talked about it," Ennis's father, Tony McIntyre, said Thursday. "He feels like he's in a good place in the draft. There are not too many point guards and he feels that he can be valuable to a team in this year's draft."

Reaction to TE's Decision (PS; Axe)

ESPN's Chad Ford currently ranks Ennis as the ninth best prospect in the 2014 NBA Draft.

"Ennis has been lauded all season for his steadiness as a rookie point guard, but that sheen has begun to wear a little bit thin over the course of the past month as Syracuse has struggled. Ennis was the best thing Syracuse had going for it in an opening-round loss to Dayton, but his 7-for-21 shooting from the field and 0-for-5 shooting from beyond the arc wasn't what NBA teams were hoping for. Ennis' struggles to finish at the rim, combined with just so-so shooting numbers from the perimeter, worry scouts a bit. However, he's still projected as a late lottery pick on most draft boards."

The Future

13771289-mmmain.jpg

Future SU PG Kaleb Joseph is a Winner (PS; Ditota)

Michael Hart, St. Andrew's School, Barrington, R.I. (coach of Michael Carter-Williams):

"First of all, he's a winner. We had three years of battles with them, all of which were awesome. This year, in the semifinals, we had a four-point lead with 40 seconds left and Kaleb hit a three, then made a steal on one of our guys.

"He's as good an on-ball defender as you'll get.

"He's a pure point guard offensively, and he really excels at running offense and pull-up jump shots. His middle-range jump shot is as good as it gets.

"Where he struggles — he's not a catch and shoot guy. He's more of an off-the-dribble shooter.

"It's tough to lose Tyler Ennis, but Kaleb Joseph is a very good player."

Jamie Sullivan, Worcester Academy, Worchester, Mass.

"He's a wonderful kid, first and foremost. Grade A for that young man. He's on a great team and he's a great leader.

"He's worked really hard on his game. He's continued to improve his jump shot over the course of 4, 5, 6 years that I've seen him play. He's matured physically — his body has matured.

"And he works extremely hard to be a great teammate and a great facilitator for his basketball team.

"We beat them this year by throwing a tough triangle-and-two against them, but they won our league championship.

"He's a point guard. He likes to get in the lane and throw the ball to his teammates for open shots. He's a big, strong point guard who has a great work ethic.

"I don't know him all that well off the court, but one of my kids plays AAU with him and loves playing with him."

Jay Tilton, Philips Exeter Academy, Exeter, N.H.

"First and foremost, I'm glad I don't have to play against him any more. He's a terrific talent and he's developed a lot. He's shown a lot of maturity over the three years I've seen him.

"He has tremendous ability to change a game. He's demonstrated the ability to adapt to different teammates. He's a versatile kid, a player who can make other players around him better.

"Earlier in his career, he was more of a scorer, but he's been able to play a variety of roles over the years. His role has evolved. That's a strength of his — his versatility.

"He plays with a kid this year in the backcourt who is a tremendous talent, who can score in bunches. (2015 prospect Jalen Adams, the MVP of the NEPSAC Class AA tournament.) And Kaleb can play off of him.

"He's been a real concern for us when we play them. I just really like his versatility.

"And he's got a real passion for the game. He works hard. In his free time, he's working on his game. He's a gym rat. And he plays hard."

14581448-mmmain.jpg

Silent G Could Fill a Bigger Role Next Season (PS; Waters)

With Tyler Ennis' decision to enter the NBA draft now official, Gbinije figures to see time at the point again next season either as the starter or perhaps as the back-up to incoming freshman Kaleb Joseph.

Either way, Gbinije must continue to hone his ball-handling skills. He struggled against pressure defenses last season. He must learn to protect the ball while keeping his eyes up and his dribble alive.

Gbinije can get to the basket. He needs to be more aggressive in doing so, but he also must work on his outside shot. If he could make 35 percent of his 3-pointers in part-time duty after sitting out an entire year, Gbinije should be able to inch toward the 40 percent mark while taking even more threes.

Hop Watch

For Mike Hopkins, is the Grass Getting Greener on the Other Side of the Fence? (PS; Axe)

Some hold on to the theory that it would be good for Hopkins to gain some head coaching experience elsewhere before taking over at Syracuse.

I do not subscribe to that theory. Mike doesn't have to earn his keep with grandpa's old Ford Taurus before he gets to drive the Corvette in the garage.

He's ready to be the guy.

But if you are an athletic director at a school with an opening, like Boston College, Marquette or Wake Forest, would you be willing to give Mike Hopkins your head coaching job knowing that he may have always have one eye pointed back in Syracuse to see what Boeheim is doing?

I wouldn't blame Hopkins at all if he took another job, if that's Boston College or another offer.

Who knows how much longer Jim Boeheim will stay. Who knows how ironclad that agreement is to be the "coach-in-waiting." There is a new chancellor at Syracuse. Things change. Contracts can be bought out.

Season in Review

BMK Served as a Reliable Backup His Entire Career at Syracuse (PS; Waters)

14576297-mmmain.jpg

Christmas' scoring and rebounding numbers were just slightly better than his sophomore year stats. He went from 5.1 points per game to 5.8 this year. His rebounding went up from 4.6 to 5.1. Those increases may not appear to be very significant, but point and rebounding totals are usually tied to minutes played and Christmas averaged 23.6 minutes per game as a junior, which was only a little bit more than the 20.8 minutes per game he logged in 2012-13.

But Christmas did show real improvement in other areas that aren't tied to minutes played. His field-goal shooting percentage went from 53 percent as a sophomore to 61.3 percent this season. His free-throw shooting percentage increased from 57.4 percent a year ago to 72.6 percent this year.
This past season, Keita served as the reliable back-up to starting center Rakeem Christmas. He still wasn't very skilled offensively. He still carried just 220 pounds on his 6-10 frame, but with maturity and strength he could withstand the physical play under the boards. And his hands had improved. He could catch a pass, but opponents could still strip him of the ball.

Keita averaged just 1.8 points per game as a senior; that was the lowest average of his career. He pulled down 3.8 rebounds; just 0.1 higher than his freshman year average.

But Keita was still a reliable and valuable player for the Orange.

His keen sense of how to play the zone made him a good defender in the middle. He was rarely out of position. He was a strong leader, always setting a solid example for younger teammates. And he was a breath of fresh air in the locker room, a kid from Senegal who was unspoiled by the AAU system, which can create a sense of entitlement.

Rakeem Christmas Remained a Fixture in SU's Starting Lineup in 2013-14 (PS; Waters)

Offseason

Former Players

imagejpg-10d0be617999cbe6.jpg

MCW and 76ers Tie NBA Record For Losses (PS; Anonymous)

Philadelphia matched the 2010-11 Cleveland Cavaliers for the NBA's worst skid and can set the record at home against Detroit on Saturday.

The Sixers haven't won since Jan. 29 and are two games away from going winless in two straight months. There was very little visible emotion as the final seconds ticked away and the players slowly made their way off the court.

There were a number of lowlights as the 76ers took their spot in history. One came when Howard blocked a shot by Thaddeus Young and he fell backward to the ground. By the time he got up, the Rockets were already on the other end of the court running their offense.