Friday Night | Syracusefan.com

Friday Night

DPCuse

Starter
There is something special about night games in the dome. I don't know what it is but it always feels more electric. Maybe the little kids stay home and the adults have a few more hours to pregame. As Bart Scott says..."Can't wait."

Atmosphere question - since it is Parents Weekend, is SU (in it's infinite marketing and planning wisdom) foregoing the student section for this game? I'm pretty sure it has been done in year's past.

Atmosphere question - since it is Parents Weekend, is SU (in it's infinite marketing and planning wisdom) foregoing the student section for this game? I'm pretty sure it has been done in year's past.
That is what they typically do

That is what they typically do

I hate to talk bad about what goes on up in the SU Athletics office, because I know people who work there, but seriously I have no idea what the basis for some of their decisions are. What other school in the country just does away with their student section for games??? We do it once a year for football and for about 6 to 8 games in basketball. Just ludicrous to me.

they "do away" with it on holidays and parents weekend because none of them show up anyways. most are out of town on holidays. the local fans are louder anyways

they "do away" with it on holidays and parents weekend because none of them show up anyways. most are out of town on holidays. the local fans are louder anyways

I'm sorry, but the local fans who fill the student section seats, at least for basketball, are in no way louder than the students. And instead of doing away with the student section for the holidays, why not fill it with local college kids who are home for the holiday break? Nevermind, I know the answer to that question: $$$$. SU has and always will put the almighty dollar above everything else.

Serious question: do other schools do this? I honestly have never watched a college football or basketball game on tv and seen no student section. The only place I've ever seen it is at the Carrier Dome.

Question, are the student sections GA or assigned seating?

LOL at the locals (who fill in the student section some games) being louder than the students. That is rich!

I sit directly above the student section in the basketball configuration. Not only is it not louder during Christmas break, it is very rare that more than a third of the seats get filled.

No one wants to pay over $50 to sit in 104 for a game against Morgan State.

It worked out fine last year but that was only because all the parents were in awe of the beatdown we gave WVU. My dad has no desire to ever go to another SU football game because he doesn't think any night will top that night.

I hate to talk bad about what goes on up in the SU Athletics office, because I know people who work there, but seriously I have no idea what the basis for some of their decisions are. What other school in the country just does away with their student section for games??? We do it once a year for football and for about 6 to 8 games in basketball. Just ludicrous to me.

Isn't the point to site with your visiting parent? :noidea:

I mean not mine, they dropped me off in 1989 and showed back up in May 1993, ate at Grimaldi's both times.

Isn't the point to site with your visiting parent? :noidea:

I mean not mine, they dropped me off in 1989 and showed back up in May 1993, ate at Grimaldi's both times.

You still have that option without having to do away with the student section. What about all the students whose parents aren't coming up for Parents Weekend (like yours didn't :))? They are going to be discouraged from even attending the game.

You still have that option without having to do away with the student section. What about all the students whose parents aren't coming up for Parents Weekend (like yours didn't :))? They are going to be discouraged from even attending the game.
If I'm not mistaken, and BK will know for sure, there was a student section last year for those students who did not have parents up to visit and the kids were grouped together as they would be traditionally. Not sure if it was general admission or if they just grouped the kids together with actual seat assignments.

If I'm not mistaken, and BK will know for sure, there was a student section last year for those students who did not have parents up to visit and the kids were grouped together as they would be traditionally. Not sure if it was general admission or if they just grouped the kids together with actual seat assignments.

Hopefully that is the case this year as well. I was at the WVU game last year, but all I remember is the beatdown we put on em and not whether or not we had a student section.

from what i recall, theyre not discouraged.

students with non attending parents check a different box.

X season tix
parents weekend + (how many)
X parents weekend single game ticket

you can either buy extra and they dump you and the folks wherever, or you buy a ticket for the game.

As an out of towner, I DONT like the evening games. My ideal start is 3. Allows me to come up in the morning, tailgate, go to the game, hit Armory Square till the wee hours, then retire for the evening.

The evening games leave my bar crawling hours way too limited... :)

I understand why there is no student section during winter break. I've taken advantage of that in the past and look at those games first to try and get some decent lower seats. However, for football that makes absolutely no sense. I'm guessing that maybe 10% of the parents come to visit their kids during Parent's weekend. Maybe I am wrong, but why cancel the student section because of a few (hundred or thousand) parents.

Maybe instead of eliminating the student section, they should expand it so those kids and their parents can sit together. Hello, common sense!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom