From a very big NBA source... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

From a very big NBA source...

Knicks have to shed a major contract to make that even possible. Rumor has it they are shopping Amare but would have to give up a good asset to find a taker. More likely with Bosh possibly exiting Miama that Melo would end up in South Beach…sorry Knicks fans (including myself)...

The Knicks are the Rutgers of the NBA. They tease you occasionally, get their fans hope up, do something stupid and accomplish nothing.

Don't forget, the Knicks have won a championship. That makes them the opposite of Rutgers.

They say philly may take stat but I dont know would take bargs. It is an expiring contract

According to CBS, those talks died two weeks ago, probably because New York mentioned Amare lol. New York would have to offer Hardaway, 1 or 2 unprotected 1st round picks, and Shane Larkin to get a team to even remotely consider taking Amare if I had to guess. Phil is full of it if he thinks he can move Amare and Barg without giving up pretty much every "asset" they have, and I use that term loosely because they really don't have assets lol.

I've found that people really don't get how much money the Knicks have committed for next year. They have roughly $59.6 million committed, without Melo, and not including 5 million on Odom and Dalembert which I believe they have team options for. Even if they made Stat and Shump go away, you're sending out about 26 million, but Melo is signing for at least $20 million, so you netted out a gain of about $6 million. If you decline the team options, you're at like $54 million, the cap is like $62 or $63; not even close to get a guy like Lebron.

I've found that people really don't get how much money the Knicks have committed for next year. They have roughly $59.6 million committed, without Melo, and not including 5 million on Odom and Dalembert which I believe they have team options for. Even if they made Stat and Shump go away, you're sending out about 26 million, but Melo is signing for at least $20 million, so you netted out a gain of about $6 million. If you decline the team options, you're at like $54 million, the cap is like $62 or $63; not even close to get a guy like Lebron.

The recent trade really screwed them in terms of cap space vs. where they were, but they could relatively easily free up an extra $15-20 million after Stoudemire. Bargani is fairly priced and so is JR Smith. JR can be moved if he's packaged with the right guys and Bargnani could be traded for a much cheaper Center, if the team doing the deal has room for the contract (which isn't too large). Also, the Knicks could unload some of the role players that are around $2 million and sign minimum contract players. I'm betting that they're waiting for word from Melo and/or Lebron before making any more moves.

Bargnani is fairly priced? Bargnani is terrible. No one is trading for him without getting an actual asset back.

The recent trade saved them a few million in cap space I think. especially if they dump Dalembert.

dont_believe_you_anchorman.gif

bigdeal.gif

(this had nothing to do with anything, I just wanted to post another Rob Burgandy thing)

Bargnani is fairly priced? Bargnani is terrible. No one is trading for him without getting an actual asset back.

The recent trade saved them a few million in cap space I think. especially if they dump Dalembert.

Bargnani works in the right system. If you're going to lean on him for defense, obviously you're screwed. But, if you run the right system, he's fairly priced for his offensive ability alone.

Also, the role players hurt cap space how I see it. I was banking on Chandler and Felton being gone, so I didn't consider their moves to be saving the Knicks any money. Having as many non-contributors earning $1.5M+ as the Knicks do adds up and hurts. Hopefully, they'll be dumping the majority of them.

Dalembert needs to go, Ellington isn't going to do anything special, Shannon Brown's minimum salary can be replaced with a second year player's minimum, and ditto for Odom. Prigioni needs to go, too; they have a backup with Larkin who will be healthier. That's around $7 million when you subtract out the contracts for the guys that would replace them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think there's any chance in the world any team takes Bargnani without getting an asset back. The guy is making $12 million next year! And he has a career 53% true shooting. And I think he forgot how to shoot 3's.

Also, the role players hurt cap space how I see it. I was banking on Chandler and Felton being gone, so I didn't consider their moves to be saving the Knicks any money. Having as many non-contributors earning $1.5M+ as the Knicks do adds up and hurts. Hopefully, they'll be dumping the majority of them.

Did you mean for this summer or next summer? For this year, they cut a little salary by dumping Chandler and Felton. Next year, obviously Chandler would be off the books. I think Felton had a player option? Can't remember now

Knicks can't get Lebron its just factual. Unless Philly took like every bad contract the Knicks have and the Knicks gave them like 5 unprotected first round picks and ability to swap first round slots for like the next decade. Only a few teams are below the cap and take salaries without needing to send a player back and Philly is really the only team willing to take salary if you give them assets. If Philly took Amare I bet they would either buy him out so they didn't win games or shelve him as much as they could.

OH...AND WHO THE IS YOUR SOURCE?! I bet it's the Maryland Mole. Yeah, your source is probably the janitor of the building the NBA team practices in, isn't it? HA! Sure, and JB is going to retire next season.

Go back to eating the heads off bats. ;)

:D

You may not have been around in those days but Bees' Maryland Mole was dead nuts on about everything he/she said. A few super conferences, 16 teams to a conference, big time consolidation, etc. Dead nuts on. Whoever it was, he/she was a great source.

Knicks can't get Lebron its just factual. Unless Philly took like every bad contract the Knicks have and the Knicks gave them like 5 unprotected first round picks and ability to swap first round slots for like the next decade. Only a few teams are below the cap and take salaries without needing to send a player back and Philly is really the only team willing to take salary if you give them assets. If Philly took Amare I bet they would either buy him out so they didn't win games or shelve him as much as they could.

They'd basically have to trade Shump and Stat to Philly. (Might be possible.) And then I guess Bargs and Hardaway to someone else with cap space? The Suns? Charlotte?

Seems incredibly unlikely. Especially since I bet Lebron decides in like 2 days

If the Knicks were realistically an option I believe Lebron would consider them because of NYC and MSG. However, their cap is a mess and its impossible unless he got like a 100 million dollar bonus from Nike and took a really cheap contract from the NYK. Lebron is either going back to Miami or "Coming Home" to Cleveland. Its obvious.

Lebron's agent met with the Mavericks, Suns, Cavaliers, Rockets, Heat, Lakers notice which team is missing, Those are the only teams he will consider meeting with.Lebron is meeting with Pat Riley today and is probably going to tell him if Napier, McRoberts, Granger are enough and if Bosh is going to go to Houston the Heat will be F'ed because they lose that cap space and it won't allow them to add another Max guy if Lebron wants the Max and he does.

Celtics have made a trade. Lebron is going to Cleveland
Nets-get Jarett Jack, Celtics get Tyler Zeller, Marcus Thornton, and Cleveland 2016 1st round pick, Cavs get nothing. Celtics used their trade exception so Cleveland didn't get anything. Cleveland needed to move Jack's salary and now Cleveland can offer Lebron the MAX without having to deal Dion Waiters because they shed Jack and Zeller.
Trader Danny sticking it to Pat Riley

Last edited:
OH...AND WHO THE IS YOUR SOURCE?! I bet it's the Maryland Mole. Yeah, your source is probably the janitor of the building the NBA team practices in, isn't it? HA! Sure, and JB is going to retire next season.

Go back to eating the heads off bats. ;)

:D
AND WHO THE IS YOUR SOURCE
It's probably Secret Squirrel and Morocco Mole...

Celtics have made a trade. Lebron is going to Cleveland
Nets-get Jarett Jack, Celtics get Tyler Zeller, Marcus Thornton, and Cleveland 2016 1st round pick, Cavs get nothing. Celtics used their trade exception so Cleveland didn't get anything. Cleveland needed to move Jack's salary and now Cleveland can offer Lebron the MAX without having to deal Dion Waiters because they shed Jack and Zeller.
Trader Danny sticking it to Pat Riley
Trader Danny? Who?

They'd basically have to trade Shump and Stat to Philly. (Might be possible.) And then I guess Bargs and Hardaway to someone else with cap space? The Suns? Charlotte?

Seems incredibly unlikely. Especially since I bet Lebron decides in like 2 days

It would likely take Hardaway, Larkin, and one or two first round picks to get anyone to take Amare, if not more. And Philly has apparently told New York that have no interest in taking Amare back, so I think that's pretty much dead.

Great inside stuff in this thread. You guys should follow Jerry's lead and write for Rant Sports, or whatever it's called. Jdubs can back him up and everything is figured out. Same as the predictions on Dion's draft status. It's great to read what Francis or Whitey says because it's accurate not just a stab in the dark.

Iommi, you promised you'd keep this under your hat. Now I can't trust you!