From the beginning | Syracusefan.com

From the beginning

SWC75

Bored Historian
Earlier today I used the "Winning Percentage Computation Form" to reply to a thread:
Win percentage computation form

You can have a lot of fun with it. The first SU game I ever watched was this one:
I wasn't there at the stadium,, (I didn't see a game in person until the 1964 UCLA game). Nor had I listened to a game on the radio prior to this one. But It began my interest in SU football. I'd been following Jimmy Brown in the pros and my Dad told that we had another one like him on the current SU team. This was my chance to see him. it proved to be the last game Ernie ever played.

I wondered today how many wins and losses I'd followed since then. How many times had I had that mixture or elation and satisfaction, (or relief) with a win and how many time had I dealt with the frustration and depression a loss produces. Which came out on top?

I used the WPCF to compute SU's record from 1962-2015:
I-A Winning Percentage 1962-2015
(We're #53) ...and then added in the Liberty Bowl win and the 4-7 record this year.

The total: 331-295-6 = .529 So being an SU football fan has, overall, been a positive experience for me. I expect that Dino Babers will get us back on the winning track before it evens up. (Even if he doesn't, I'll be a hopeful fan as long as I live anyway: it's a habit I can't break).

You might want to use that site to compute your own winning percentage since you became a fan and post the results in this this thread. Then tell us if it's all been worth it to you, as it has been for me.

Last edited:
Cool site. Forgot how good Nebraska was. Won 9+ games every year from 1969 through 2001. Amazing

Earlier today I used the "Winning Percentage Computation Form" to reply to a thread:
Win percentage computation form

You can have a lot of fun with it. The first SU game I ever watched was this one:
I wasn't there at the stadium,, (I didn't see a game in person until the 1964 UCLA game). Nor had I listened to a game on the radio prior to this one. But It began my interest in SU football. I'd been following Jimmy Brown in the pros and my Dad told that we had another one like him on the current SU team. This was my chance to see him. it proved to be the last game Ernie ever played.

I wondered today how many wins and losses I'd followed since then. How many times had I had that mixture or elation and satisfaction, (or relief) with a win and how many time had I dealt with the frustration and depression a loss produces. Which came out on top?

I used the WPCF to compute SU's record from 1962-2015:
I-A Winning Percentage 1962-2015
(We're #53) ...and then added in the Liberty Bowl win and the 4-7 record this year.

The total: 331-295-6 = .529 So being an SU football fan has, overall, been a positive experience for me. I except that Dino Babers will get us back on the winning track before it evens up. (Even if he doesn't, I'll be a hopeful fan as long as I live anyway: it's a habit I can't break).

You might want to use that site to compute your own winning percentage since you became a fan and post the results in this this thread. Then tell us if it's all been worth it to you, as it has been for me.
Thank you for another gem!

From 1968 through games played this year I am

287 won
286 lost
6 ties

If we lose at Pitt I will be all even at 50% UGH. If that happens I hope and pray that Dino can at the very least prevent me from slipping into negative territory next year!

My freshman year of 1972 was Ben's first losing season since 1949 and began a long era of misery - about as long as our current era of misery actually. I didn't get my head above water until 1990. And, after two eras of misery sandwiched around one era of glory, I'm only 7 games over .500 today.

I'm 238-208-5 (.534 winning pct) from 1979 through today. SU was 36-10-2 while I was at SU for the 1987-1990 seasons (what I would give to have a run like that again).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom