Frost update to UCF | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Frost update to UCF

Not if they want all the money up front.

And/or are not willing to include a buyout into the contract, in the event they jump for "greener pastures".

Yep. All makes logical sense. And if the lynch pin was him not having the opportunity to leave here after 1-2 years, then the right decision was made.
Assume that he did leave us after a year or two. Obv that is a recruiting red flag that would be played against us. But more importantly, to maintain continuity and not have to redo the O scheme, we would need to get someone who understands the Oregon way. How big is that tree? Would we be backing ourselves into a corner where our best bet in 2 years would be the guy that Frost hired as OC, and do you want to be bound by that?

phil77 said:
I am not freaking out I am mildly concerned. This was clearly Coyle's number 1 target and he was unable to close the deal that is my concern. And if Coyle is scrambling and hires Ash then he wasn't prepared to deal with the possibility of Frost saying NO and had no plans after that.

If he had no plan then why was he out flying around meeting various candidates and if I remember the article correctly, so did Syverud.

If he had no plan then why was he out flying around meeting various candidates and if I remember the article correctly, so did Syverud.

Well the plan should be fast acting then right? I mean Mizzo lost out on number 1 choice and report they will announce the new coach within 24 hours.

IF we got frost at the dollars and years it would have been a great hire. That being said sometimes ya move and and there are other great hires available given our current status.

You all know I was a keep shafer guy but whats done is done. We don't need to cannibalize Coyle the same way Shafer was. Not everyone is gonna agree with every decision.

Well the plan should be fast acting then right? I mean Mizzo lost out on number 1 choice and report they will announce the new coach within 24 hours.

They are hiring in house, right? There is a big difference between hiring a new coach after jettisoning an entire staff and simply promoting a coordinator. Even that took SU longer to do three years ago when Marrone left. Everything I've seen and read tells me Coyle is on the right path.

Assume that he did leave us after a year or two. Obv that is a recruiting red flag that would be played against us. But more importantly, to maintain continuity and not have to redo the O scheme, we would need to get someone who understands the Oregon way. How big is that tree? Would we be backing ourselves into a corner where our best bet in 2 years would be the guy that Frost hired as OC, and do you want to be bound by that?
Valid points. However, we just went through that. We hired SS, who hired MFI. We ran his offense for a year and we went 3-9 (injuries and personnel were probably factors). MFI got fired, and we promoted Lester. Lester installed another offensive scheme, and we went 4-8. Again, unacceptable. So now we have to hire a new staff, to run yet another system next year. That's 3 different systems in 3 years. Where's the continuity there?

My point is ... you have more continuity problems by sucking than you do by hiring someone really good that may jump. There's always a risk that very good young coaching talent may jump -- even if they played for SU (like DM). That comes with the territory. We're not going to sign up-and-coming young coaching talent by forcing them to make an unrealistic promise that SU's their final destination.

Last edited:
Shrmdougluvr said:
They are hiring in house, right? There is a big difference between hiring a new coach after jettisoning an entire staff and simply promoting a coordinator. Even that took SU longer to do three years ago when Marrone left. Everything I've seen and read tells me Coyle is on the right path.

If I remember right Syverud had the same deliberate process. I think there were as many as 100 candidates for the AD job. That was whittled down to 7-8 viable ones who we spoke too. Then it was narrowed to 2 for a more in depth interview.

Valid points. However, we just went through that. We hired SS, who hired MFI. We ran his offense for a year and we went 3-9 (injuries and personnel were probably factors). MFI got fired, and we promoted Lester. Lester installed another offensive scheme, and we went 4-8. Again, unacceptable. So now we have to hire a new staff, to run yet another system next year. That's 3 different systems in 3 years. Where's the continuity there?

My point is ... you have more continuity problems by sucking than you do by hiring someone really good that may jump. There's always a risk that very good young coaching talent may jump -- even if they played for SU (like DM). That comes with the territory. We're not going to sign up-and-coming young coaching talent by forcing them to make an unrealistic promise that SU's their final destination.
So you get someone who uses a technology that isn't a pigeonhole. I get the sense that the Briles tree is bigger. It would be like hiring someone to write new COBOL code today. Good luck finding someone to maintain it when your first guy gets hit by a bus.

If I remember right Syverud had the same deliberate process. I think there were as many as 100 candidates for the AD job. That was whittled down to 7-8 viable ones who we spoke too. Then it was narrowed to 2 for a more in depth interview.

Sounds reasonable...

So you get someone who uses a technology that isn't a pigeonhole. I get the sense that the Briles tree is bigger. It would be like hiring someone to write new COBOL code today. Good luck finding someone to maintain it when your first guy gets hit by a bus.
The system's a factor, but there are many others that are probably higher priorities than the replicability of an offensive scheme. For example, I'd be happy just to reach .500 in conference and not look silly against schools like USF and LV.

If we hire a coach with an unreplicable system and he WINS, we're a better program -- and coaching destination -- than we are today.

Last edited:
The more I thought about it the more I understand why Frost chose UCF. This is really simple fellas, Coyle wanted a long term commitment. Frost wanted a opportunity to leave after a couple years. UCF is a smart move. UCF was 0-12 people. Gonna be easy to turn it around in that conference with good athetes. If he wins 5 games next year he is showing a huge turn around. If he wins 9 the following year he is the next big thing. This will make the big schools go after him and also make Nebraska come up with a lengthy deal to get him there. Its brilliant.
Not to mention that he will be getting into the good graces of the FLA HS coaches by taking their less than P5 quality players while he's there (and presumably coaching them up to a successful level). Which will be handy once he upgrades his job and gets into the recruiting wars for the 5-star players at those same schools.

reedny said:
The system's a factor, but there are many others that are probably higher priorities than the replicability of an offensive system. For example, I'd be happy just to reach .500 in conference and not look silly against schools like USF and LV. If we hire a coach with an unreplicable system and he WINS, we're a better program -- and coaching destination -- than we are today.

That's the slow train. I want a plane.

That's the slow train. I want a plane.
Me too. But don't expect any luxury jets looking to land in the Dome until we improve our runway.

Last edited:
Why would Frost ever consider Syracuse? I think he never did especially with Coyle as would be boss...you know the guy that didn't select him for the Boise job.

Last edited:
Why would Frost consider Coyle as a boss? No chance ever for Frost at SU. Payback for not getting the Boise job. The kid has an ego and a memory that won't let him forget. Central Florida is a better job/situation than SU could ever hope to be.
I had been thinking this all along. He never hired him the first time, so why would Frost jump at this?

A little late to the party, but wanted to throw in my .02.

People who think Frost was crazy to go to UCF must not know much about that school. I mentioned some of these things in earlier posts. UCF is the 2nd largest school in the country. It has an amazing new campus and an excellent new on campus football stadium. It is nothing like a commuter school.

The school has a lot of money and is run by an administration that gets it. They understand how important a good football program is to a college in Florida, and is clearly willing to do what they think it takes to move the program in the right direction.

The location is excellent in regards to weather and recruiting. The football team has been good recently, has some talent, and nowhere to go but up from this season.

Why does it seem so crazy that he would take that job? Almost a no brainer. If the compensation package is similar, the only thing we have to offer over that is the P5 conference affiliation and I'm not sure how important that is to a coordinator trying to enhance a resume. I'll even go out on a limb and predict that UCF will be a member of a P5 conference in 5 years or so.

Having said that, I'm not terribly upset about losing Frost, as I would prefer someone with head coaching experience. My concern is that the longer we wait, the the worse the options become. I hope Coyle has a good plan B,C,D, and E in his pocket.

Some people were saying the Miami job was worse than the Syracuse job yet a coaching target takes UCF over us? I think we're in bigger trouble than we think......

Some people were saying the Miami job was worse than the Syracuse job yet a coaching target takes UCF over us? I think we're in bigger trouble than we think...

Because they fell over with their legs in the air, and we wouldn't?

Would you really want our shiny new toy with a 3 year contract??
He probably would have just stayed at the Sheraton, rather than bother unpacking.

One thing about the AAC... Obviously if your goal Is to win a national title you gotta be in the P5. But if your goal is to make a big payday bowl (the majors outside the playoff) one can argue that the path is easier for schools in the AAC or Mountain West than it is for a lower level school in the P5.

SU, for example, will likely need to beat Clemson and/or FSU and win the ACC championship game to make a big payday bowl. That's a helluva path. Meanwhile UCF, for example, needs to win the AAC and be higher ranked than any other G5 school (most likely the Mountain West, lesser chance of the competition coming from the MAC, no chance from CUSA or Sun Belt). Tough but not exactly running the gauntlet.

Just sayin'.

OrangeSky said:
A little late to the party, but wanted to throw in my .02. People who think Frost was crazy to go to UCF must not know much about that school. I mentioned some of these things in earlier posts. UCF is the 2nd largest school in the country. It has an amazing new campus and an excellent new on campus football stadium. It is nothing like a commuter school. The school has a lot of money and is run by an administration that gets it. They understand how important a good football program is to a college in Florida, and is clearly willing to do what they think it takes to move the program in the right direction. The location is excellent in regards to weather and recruiting. The football team has been good recently, has some talent, and nowhere to go but up from this season. Why does it seem so crazy that he would take that job? Almost a no brainer. If the compensation package is similar, the only thing we have to offer over that is the P5 conference affiliation and I'm not sure how important that is to a coordinator trying to enhance a resume. I'll even go out on a limb and predict that UCF will be a member of a P5 conference in 5 years or so. Having said that, I'm not terribly upset about losing Frost, as I would prefer someone with head coaching experience. My concern is that the longer we wait, the the worse the options become. I hope Coyle has a good plan B,C,D, and E in his pocket.

I think if the guy is wanting 2-3 year contracts with small buyouts UCF can have him.

I'm glad we didn't get him. I don't like the way he looks.