Frost update to UCF | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Frost update to UCF

UCF isn't 8-10 off suit if that is the case we are 7-2 off suit.

UCF is a way easier job to get to 6-6 next year than Syracuse. They play in the weaker American Division and Temple is losing their entire D for the most part. UConn/ECU/Temple/USF/Cincinnati is not a scary tough division and you can recruit 2nd tier guys in your backyard.

We should go after a mid-pocket pair i.e MAC/CUSA HC and hope to flop a set. Then hire a coordinator A/J, A/Q and hope to hit a pair.
If you are a ACC school and you can't beat out UCF for a coach, I don't care where UCF is located, trouble.

Can someone explain to me what the big deal is about Frost? He just reminds me of Gerg part deux. When we hired 'I think I can' he was a supposed defensive mastermind brought in to fix a defense that gave up bookend 50+ point games back in '04 to Purdue and GT. No HC experience, a west coast guy with absolutely no ties to the northeast, and brought in an OC to run an offense that we didn't have the personnel to run. How is it that Frost isn't just the offensive version of the same thing?

...without the NFL experience....

If you are a ACC school and you can't beat out UCF for a coach, I don't care where UCF is located, trouble.

If Frost was so great why didn't he get a sniff from other P5 schools like Maryland and UVA. Here's hoping Coyle just pulled an anti-gross and avoided hiring Gerg the 2nd.

Can someone explain to me what the big deal is about Frost? He just reminds me of Gerg part deux. When we hired 'I think I can' he was a supposed defensive mastermind brought in to fix a defense that gave up bookend 50+ point games back in '04 to Purdue and GT. No HC experience, a west coast guy with absolutely no ties to the northeast, and brought in an OC to run an offense that we didn't have the personnel to run. How is it that Frost isn't just the offensive version of the same thing?

...without the NFL experience...
hiring oregon's defensive coordinator was like hiring gerg. gerg was along for the ride. frost had results

Personally I was caught off guard by this and am a bit disappointed. Especially because I want a staff in place ASAP for recruiting reasons. Now, if we get Babers or one of the offensive coaches within the next week or so, I'll feel much better. If we make a bowl game next year with Coach X, unless Frost becomes Vince Lombardi, I won't give him another thought.

...without the NFL experience...

1. Frost is 40 and had interest from a few P5 schools, and Boise. Greg was 55 when he was hired, and if not for us would probably be a career coordinator.

2. Greg was CO defensive coordinator at Texas for one year. Before that his last stint in college was 1989.

3. I couldn't care less if our next hire has NFL experience.

I have a feeling that in 5-7 years, there will be a large number of people around Syracuse thinking what may have been. Frost is a guy that will be successful.

BUT

Doesn't matter, he gone.

If Frost was so great why didn't he get a sniff from other P5 schools like Maryland and UVA. Here's hoping Coyle just pulled an anti-gross and avoided hiring Gerg the 2nd.
I think you mean VT, but those schools empty the wallet for established head coaches. Syracuse does not.

hiring oregon's defensive coordinator was like hiring gerg. gerg was along for the ride. frost had results
He had results with top rated recruiting classes. No evidence he can run an offense not littered with top talent, now add in the fact we don't already have top talent, and he has absolutely no recruiting ties to any school within 1000 miles from here and you can see how easily it would be to fail here.

I think you mean VT, but those schools empty the wallet for established head coaches. Syracuse does not.
I meant UVA, but VT works too, another ACC school that didn't give him a sniff. So 2 ACC schools didn't even look at this guy and people are freaking that we didn't give him some superstar deal.

Based on these reports, this is more a situation of Syracuse walking away from ridiculous demands than not being able to get their candidate. If things are to be believed, he was willing to become SU's coach and we walked away.

Based on these reports, this is more a situation of Syracuse walking away from ridiculous demands than not being able to get their candidate. If things are to be believed, he was willing to become SU's coach and we walked away.
Gotta take everything with a grain of salt right now. I don't think anybody really knows what's going on behind closed doors. Speculation turns to rumor, rumor to fact.

I meant UVA, but VT works too, another ACC school that didn't give him a sniff. So 2 ACC schools didn't even look at this guy and people are freaking that we didn't give him some superstar deal.

I am not freaking out I am mildly concerned. This was clearly Coyle's number 1 target and he was unable to close the deal that is my concern. And if Coyle is scrambling and hires Ash then he wasn't prepared to deal with the possibility of Frost saying NO and had no plans after that.

To be honest I wasn't sure about Frost because of his personality judged by his interviews. Completely personal bias or good instincts but something about him I didn't like. Wasn't sure he would have made a great HC for us. Time will tell how he does overall. Not how he does at UCF but how he does at whatever the next gig after that is.

He had results with top rated recruiting classes. No evidence he can run an offense
Oregon generally gets by with 3-stars with a few 4-stars thrown in the mix. Rarely do they get 5-stars. (Granted Syracuse doesn't even get 4-stars, but still Oregon ain't Alabama.
Those schools weren't/aren't hiring coordinators to be head coaches. They're hiring head coaches. Frost is a coordinator. Syracuse isn't interested in paying head coach money.

IMO, if Coyle wouldn't budge on adding easy escape clauses, that's fine. But Syracuse needs someone to rebuild a program, again, and they need to do it right with a real hire. Otherwise, they may as well cancel the dome renovations and really save some coin.

I am far from an expert but I would prefer a guy like Babers anyways. I would have been happy with Frost since he brings offensive experience but for some reason I was not completely sold on him. Do we have a shot at a guy like Babers?

If the new coach is successful, I fully expect him to leave for greener pastures in 4-5 years.

But if Frost told Coyle up front that he would only be killing time here until Nebraska called...
I see your point. But that raises the bar even higher. This program already has hurdles (weak recruiting stream, piles of losses, high expectations, incredibly difficult division with 2 powerhouse programs, improving but not state of the art facilities and potential renovation season away from home, etc..). If you add: "Must Believe SU is His Final Destination and Dream School", I'm not sure who measures up that doesn't cost $4-5M.

He had results with top rated recruiting classes. No evidence he can run an offense not littered with top talent, now add in the fact we don't already have top talent, and he has absolutely no recruiting ties to any school within 1000 miles from here and you can see how easily it would be to fail here.
he did a very good job this year with an FCS transfer who started slow and got hurt. they should've fallen off on offense this year and they didn't

I'm no master of the universe.

But the question was, are you going to underwrite overpaying?
Do I get to keep the increased revenue from ticket sales, bowls and concessions? Looks like that would be a pretty good trade.

The media in Nebraska today is exactly why I wanted Frost and why I didn't want to hire Frost. All talking about UCF football and praising the program but then also talking about his buyout at UCF and how fast he can get to Nebraska. After one season their fan base has already given up on Riley and moved onto Frost, he would have been out of CNY and headed to Nebraska in 3 seasons.

I get Syracuse will be a destination for a lot of guys but lets at least get a guy that will not already have his foot out the door when he gets to campus.

Also according to one Omaha World Herald sports writer Cuse is a bottom 5 program but UCF and Nebraska, who had a combined 5 wins are. I live in a delusional football hell.

When losing a prospective coach to UCF ;the losing keeps on coming. I guess the real question is why(?) Was it money? Perhaps he caught some earlier games and hurled at the thought of trying to fix this team.:vomit: