Frost was offered $1.8-2.0 million (corrected) | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Frost was offered $1.8-2.0 million (corrected)

Here is the difference: Frost is the commodity, not Coyle.

He was Coyle's first choice. We couldn't land him.

We were three years apart on our ADs first choice, a guy he's already interviewed, we still look like amateurs.

Him wanting to end up at Nebraska isn't news. If this was an issue, don't set your target on him.

good call...everyone should just assume they know how someone will react to an offer and just never offer them. How about we just don't play any games and assume we will also win or lose.

Even if the admins had a strong hunch he would turn the job down or not even be interested...you still make the offer, or at least inquire.

Word on at least one of the UCF forums is that Frost got a 5-year deal. No word on buy-out terms, however.

UCF presser. Frost starts 8 minutes in.

Buyout is 850k. In other words, chump change for some Nebraska booster

Buyout is 850k. In other words, chump change for some Nebraska booster
The buyout is only 850k? Where'd you see that? Holy crap, that seems remarkably low to me.

Buyout is one-half his compensation (850k). according to an AP reporter on twitter (Kyle Hightower).

The buyout is only 850k? Where'd you see that? Holy crap, that seems remarkably low to me.

Just expanding on the Adelson post:

Andrea AdelsonESPN Staff Writer
adelson_andrea_m.jpg

New UCF coach Scott Frost got a five-year deal with a base salary of $1.7 million annually, with incentive bonuses up to $250,000 per year when he hits certain performance goals. The salary pool for assistants is $2.3 million.

Base + assistants pool + annual bonus puts them at $4.25MM per year.

We need to be landing above $5MM and, really, closer to $6MM.

UCF: Scott Frost has a five-year deal with an option for a 2-year extension, worth $1.7 million annually. The salary pool for his assistants will be $2.3 million. Athletic director Danny White says that Frost was offered a higher annual salary, but wanted a higher pool for his assistant coaches.

UCF: Scott Frost has a five-year deal with an option for a 2-year extension, worth $1.7 million annually. The salary pool for his assistants will be $2.3 million. Athletic director Danny White says that Frost was offered a higher annual salary, but wanted a higher pool for his assistant coaches.
If buyout also tied to salary, then he benefits when he wants to bail for Nebraska as well.

So the sticking point was not the salary, and it was not the length of the contract. It was either the buy-out or Frost basically preferred being in Florida to being in Central NY?

So the sticking point was not the salary, and it was not the length of the contract. It was either the buy-out or Frost basically preferred being in Florida to being in Central NY?
I can hear it now. We short changed him on the assistants! We're not serious about football! Aaaaaa!

There's our MINIMUM baseline for the assistant coach salary pool.

Any idea what we were paying the ACs under Shafer [just curious]?

I can hear it now. We short changed him on the assistants! We're not serious about football! Aaaaaa!
There's probably a lot of factors. The super low buyout is one. The fact that they recently had a very good season indicates they can get talent to win in the AAC reasonably soon vs a more challenging rebuild with us in the ACC. A lot of ways to spin this...

There's our MINIMUM baseline for the assistant coach salary pool.

Any idea what we were paying the ACs under Shafer [just curious]?
Half that I believe

orangenauburn said:
Half that I believe

The average salary to our assistants was $125k?

So after any single year of the contract, all someone at Nebraska needs to do is pony up 850k and he's gone.

So after any single year of the contract, all someone at Nebraska needs to do is pony up 850k and he's gone.

Not that I'm discovering anything new, but that was obviously the holdup in negotiations with Frost.

Syracuse is not going to be caught with its pants down. The buyout, for any other school that had any sort of respect for their program, should have been much higher earlier in the contract (thinking $3-5M over 1st 2 years) with it progressively decreasing over the duration of a 5-year deal.

$850K is a joke. And I'm glad Syracuse said no.

Excellent move by Frost. He guarantees himself 8.5 mil if things go south at UCF or he gets passed over at Nebraska and he can leave with essentially no barrier at any time.

SUFan44 said:
Not that I'm discovering anything new, but that was obviously the holdup in negotiations with Frost. Syracuse is not going to be caught with its pants down. The buyout, for any other school that had any sort of respect for their program, should have been much higher earlier in the contract (thinking $3-5M over 1st 2 years) with it progressively decreasing over the duration of a 5-year deal. $850K is a joke. And I'm glad Syracuse said no.

This.

Not that I'm discovering anything new, but that was obviously the holdup in negotiations with Frost.

Syracuse is not going to be caught with its pants down. The buyout, for any other school that had any sort of respect for their program, should have been much higher earlier in the contract (thinking $3-5M over 1st 2 years) with it progressively decreasing over the duration of a 5-year deal.

$850K is a joke. And I'm glad Syracuse said no.

Agree 100%. Accepting that term / condition would be an act of desperation. Coyle did the right thing, even if Frost was his top candidate.

Half that I believe

Well... if we want to play big boy football, that's going to have to change.

Hopefully the additional ACC revenues will make it easier for the University to open the purse strings in ways that they haven't been able to accommodate before.

Thanks for the info.

I can see 850k as a fair buyout after, like, year four. Maybe year three, even. But the fact that he can leave after one season, potentially, for 850k? That's just ridiculous.