Frost was offered $1.8-2.0 million (corrected) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Frost was offered $1.8-2.0 million (corrected)

That 1.2 has to be the first offer. if that's the final what a joke. What's the guess for staff another 1 million. I can see not going all in on a first time hc but wow you can't lowball the guy and expect him not to be offended

The big question is this: do we have more cash to offer a more experienced coach and the Frost offer was low because he is a first time coach? Or is this what the BOT told Coyle he can spend? Unfortunately I think I know the answer.

djorange1989 said:
The big question is this: do we have more cash to offer a more experienced coach and the Frost offer was low because he is a first time coach? Or is this what the BOT told Coyle he can spend? Unfortunately I think I know the answer.

Sanity. Thank you.

beyond-fast-good-and-cheap-12-638.jpg

We don't, which is why many including myself would prefer HC experience, ala Babers. Not sure why we'd offer him if we didn't like what we saw, though. Either way we didn't like him at whatever price which shows the limits of what we are willing to spend--not enough to be competitive with UCF. This is embarrassing, imo.

I'd be embarrassed if we did not offer a Dino babers at competitive salary similar to a pj fleck deal. That would do it for me. But I'm not embarrassed over frost's deal. I think it's fair. Conjecture is that he bid up his salary or package. Good for him, well played.

It's business.. If Frost was only willing to accept a 2-3 year contract with a small buy out then you can't offer him big money.. It's bad business.

What was he making? I've seen so many different numbers over the last 48 hours. 1.2m ain't bad if he as making 500k

That should play no factor in what you pay. You pay what you believe the position is worth. It's obvious the BOT does not believe the position is worth much if this report is true.

That is like the Red Sox offering Jon Lester 80 million in 2014 Spring Training then offering him 150 million last December and now giving David Price 217 million to compound a stupid cheap offer.

Why do we run the AD like we are the Tampa Bay Rays. I get we aren't the Yankees/Red Sox but we should be spending like a mid market team like the Blue Jays and not the freaking cheap skate Rays.

We could get very lucky and hire a guy like Joe Maddon...about as likely as Price being worth 217 mil. (And I'm a RS fan).

SYR2RDU said:
It's business.. If Frost was only willing to accept a 2-3 year contract with a small buy out then you can't offer him big money.. It's bad business.

Do we know the 1.2 was the first number? I could see a situation where we offered more and Frost wanted a shorter contract with an easier buyout and we countered with a low number.

I know this place is in full pitchfork mode right now but let's take a collective deep breath on this.

First, we are worked up on about a supposed announcement that never came. Second, we are assuming that Ash is going to be our coach from a tweet sent out yesterday. Makes sense.

As to the contract, I think most are unaware how FB contracts CAN work. First, let's just assume the offer was 1.2 (which, once again, is a Fukking rumor). That doesn't include any incentive bonuses, which could significantly increase that number. Second, if Syracuse was worried that Frost was going to jump ship in 2 years, I bet that contract was significantly back loaded with bump in salary.

If Frost was our first choice, it sucks to lose him. But if the guy was only here to take the money and run Syracuse must protect it's best interests as well. It's not fantasy sports here - it's a business.

Because a "rookie HC" is worth as much as a successful 20 year coaching veteran, right.

O'Leary wasn't exactly coming off of the best circumstances, remember. He had gone to work for Mike Trice after the ND fiasco.

I'd be embarrassed if we did not offer a Dino babers at competitive salary similar to a pj fleck deal. That would do it for me. But I'm not embarrassed over frost's deal. I think it's fair. Conjecture is that he bid up his salary or package. Good for him, well played.

Frost was the first to get an offer, if true. If you are willing to pay your top guy 1.2 million in base, why do you think there would be more money for a Babers? That makes zero sense - Coyle evaluated that Frost was his guy supposedly.

I can't think of any reason there would be more money for a guy with prior HC experience. That either means Coyle failed to sell the BOT (Syverud) on his pick, which is potentially bad or there is no money to give, which is potentially bad.

Petrino's pay is listed at $ 3,000,000 A YEAR PLUS WITH $700,000 IN BONUS MONEY

Great point.

With that number, might as well hire Kyle Flood

No doubt it is good for him- I just find it frustrating after basically enduring the quality of play we have been forced to endure for the last 15 years that it's time to buck up and get serious about competing at this level. I find it difficult to believe this institution is serious if you are outbid by UCF for our supposed first choice. At the end of the day, if you believe he is your guy what difference is a few hundred thousand $/year going to matter? They'd make that up on the concession sales alone with an exciting/competitive team. To me, this shows we are trying to do this on a shoestring and are not serious about doing what's necessary to compete. We've been fortunate on the hoops side our coach is willing to give a hometown discount but I don't think that's going to happen on the fb side.

I know this place is in full pitchfork mode right now but let's take a collective deep breath on this.

First, we are worked up on about a supposed announcement that never came. Second, we are assuming that Ash is going to be our coach from a tweet sent out yesterday. Makes sense.

As to the contract, I think most are unaware how FB contracts CAN work. First, let's just assume the offer was 1.2 (which, once again, is a Fukking rumor). That doesn't include any incentive bonuses, which could significantly increase that number. Second, if Syracuse was worried that Frost was going to jump ship in 2 years, I bet that contract was significantly back loaded with bump in salary.

If Frost was our first choice, it sucks to lose him. But if the guy was only here to take the money and run Syracuse must protect it's best interests as well. It's not fantasy sports here - it's a business.
Everybody is herecto take the money and run if they can.