Frost was offered $1.8-2.0 million (corrected) | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Frost was offered $1.8-2.0 million (corrected)

IF true, so much for it not being about the money. $1.2 offer, even if it's initial offer is still a joke. IF true this whole search is an absolute joke, and we deserve to be right where we are right. But then again what should we expect. The whole operation up there is so lacking, and incompetent. Top to bottom is a disaster.
If Coyle was indeed brought in to fix football, why would he have taken the job if the BOT wasn't willing or able to commit the necessary funds? Makes no sense.

If you think Coyle is the one suggesting salaries, you must not understand how this works.

People get paid what the market dictates and the top always pulls up the bottom more than you think. If you want to play you pay or get the ones nobody else wants.
Fair comment. But I'll pay the guy that has proven himself in the role I'm hiring into. If he has no experience in the role I'm hiring,they don't get the top dollar (at least compared to person with experience)

FWIW, the information came out in a story written by a staffer at The Oregonian, and regurgitated by the PS writer (because the PS doesn't do any actual reporting of their own). The source was almost certainly connected to Oregon.

If true, my guess is this rumor came from the Frost camp. I bet average salary over the 5 years was significantly closer to the 1.8 - 2 range.
That's my thought. If we here were aware Frost was HC-in-waiting at Nebraska, I'd have to think that Coyle was aware of it also. In that position, I would suggest an escalator that really kicked in in year 3, along with incentives along the way, IMG $, camps, etc. In that way, if Frost is really committed, he gets rewarded down the line. If he wows us (and Nebraska), and does well here, he gets his real payday from the Huskers.

I'm guessing (purely guessing) that with incentives the first two years probably averaged around 1.5-1.8M. Reality is reality - we are never paying 3M base for a coach. But we also have to remember NHCIWSF has never even been a coordinator on his own.

Just my thoughts

If true, my guess is this rumor came from the Frost camp. I bet average salary over the 5 years was significantly closer to the 1.8 - 2 range.

The Frost camp is 100% the rumor creators as it came out in The Oregonian.

Frost was making a $750k base, FWIW.

Onward.

The Frost camp is 100% the rumor creators as it came out in The Oregonian.

Frost was making a $750k base, FWIW.

Onward.
he wants people to believe there are reasons he went to UCF other than easy resume padding for a year or two

but SU really is cheap

so who knows

One other thing to keep in mind are additional factors that make this negotiation more complex. Specifically, the Dome renovation. Frost has no cache as a head coach...if he comes here and fails, that puts him behind the 8 ball on future head coaching spots P5 or otherwise. Once the bloom goes of a coordinator's rose...well...

Aside from the incentive issues in a vaccuum, we are potentially dealing with candidates who will have to deal with a neutral field/road scenario during a Dome renovation. That might not be as daunting for an established coach as it is for a highly regarded coordinator but it has to be a factor. It is also unlike every school currently in the coaching market.

If I were a highly regarded young coordinator and saw that in the future, I would try to front load as much money as possible and/or incorporate provisions that basically gives me a safety net if the team regresses or is status quo in a renovation season if that is what it comes to. If I am the University I try to get creative with incentive based attendance clauses, etc.

Long story short, it also does not help that we are in the same division with Clemson, Florida State and Louisville. A hot coordinator could get the program back on the right track and still legitimately be looking at a third or fourth place divisional finish and a mid level ACC bowl. The question would be if that is seen as a success if you are trying to win this fan base or jump elsewhere. Remember this year's team finished ahead of Wake and BC in the division.

It will be an interesting few days...PR has taken a hit but the AD and the Chancellor are like minded in their thought process for building. I do have faith here...

SUOrange44

Shafer's total ranked just 66th on USA Today's 2014 list of public schools behind the coaches of schools like Fresno State, Connecticut, Colorado State and Navy.

He earned $263,530 in base salary from the school and $1.2 million from IMG. Multimedia rights companies like IMG often pay coaches directly in lieu of giving schools money for the advertising rights. Shafer also earned $8,085 through a summer football camp.

Respectfully disagree. Folks with different experience levels get paid differently for same position.

I won't disagree that that can factor into it, but when you are getting outbid by the AAC and other non-P5 schools are paying more, and in some cases much more, then that tells you what the BOT thinks of the position and the program. I don't care if he didn't have HC experience. If you think the position is worth $2M and you've identified Frost as tyour candidate, then you offer $2M or close to it. You don't lowball because you think you have leverage due to his lack of Head Coaching experience. Assuming that the amount is accurate, or close to it, the BOT obviously believes the position is worth $1.2M and they are will to accept a coach with no HC experience.

Fair comment. But I'll pay the guy that has proven himself in the role I'm hiring into. If he has no experience in the role I'm hiring,they don't get the top dollar (at least compared to person with experience)

Then the BOT should be stipulating that the position requires someone that has HC experience and pay accordingly. They have not done that and believe the position doesn't require HC experience (as has been proven from our last three hires) and that a position not requiring HC experience is worth about $1.2M. The BOT needs to seriously re-evaluate what they want and what they are willing to pay, because as Crusty said, we are going to get someone much lower on the rungs offering this amount.

If we weren't going to splurge and chase the highest profile guy we could afford OR significantly change our philosophy (offensive mad scientist)... We should have stuck with Shafer. I believe he would have eventually gotten us to be a semi-regular bowl contender.

MadNY3 said:
I am...in....disappointment mode right now. Not over losing Frost, over the supposed offer. If he's your guy, GET HIM.

Then the BOT should be stipulating that the position requires someone that has HC experience and pay accordingly. They have not done that and believe the position doesn't require HC experience (as has been proven from our last three hires) and that a position not requiring HC experience is worth about $1.2M. The BOT needs to seriously re-evaluate what they want and what they are willing to pay, because as Crusty said, we are going to get someone much lower on the rungs offering this amount.

I think what Chakka said about the BoT during the time when Marrone was leaving is starting to make more and more sense.

I won't disagree that that can factor into it, but when you are getting outbid by the AAC and other non-P5 schools are paying more, and in some cases much more, then that tells you what the BOT thinks of the position and the program. I don't care if he didn't have HC experience. If you think the position is worth $2M and you've identified Frost as tyour candidate, then you offer $2M or close to it. You don't lowball because you think you have leverage due to his lack of Head Coaching experience. Assuming that the amount is accurate, or close to it, the BOT obviously believes the position is worth $1.2M and they are will to accept a coach with no HC experience.
My best friend got a job offer about 5 months ago. He was extremely well-qualified for the position and they wanted him. They made a handsome offer. He took another offer due to some non-financial reasons.

I got the job he applied for. I appeared, on paper, to be marginally qualified based on the skill sets needed. His recommendation got me the first phone interview. The second round involved a fair amount of, "Tell us why you think you can succeed when you don't have X requirement and Y requirement and..." They eventually made an offer that was about 80% of what they offered him. I took it. His wife, who is a senior HR manager, said that it was a fair offer given my experience in what they needed etc etc.

So, how much was the position really worth to them? Am I wrong for having taken the job? Should I be insulted that they low-balled me?

upload_2015-12-1_21-26-57.jpeg

Here is photo of the Syracuse wallet.

There have always been unique and inherent challenges associated with the SU Football Program.

That is why I have always felt that experience with the Program/University is an important qualification for the HC position.

Can you explain what those unique challenges are, unique from other Private Universities, I assume.

My best friend got a job offer about 5 months ago. He was extremely well-qualified for the position and they wanted him. They made a handsome offer. He took another offer due to some non-financial reasons.

I got the job he applied for. I appeared, on paper, to be marginally qualified based on the skill sets needed. His recommendation got me the first phone interview. The second round involved a fair amount of, "Tell us why you think you can succeed when you don't have X requirement and Y requirement and..." They eventually made an offer that was about 80% of what they offered him. I took it. His wife, who is a senior HR manager, said that it was a fair offer given my experience in what they needed etc etc.

So, how much was the position really worth to them? Am I wrong for having taken the job? Should I be insulted that they low-balled me?

I presume the position has a salary range, and each of the offers were within that range. 20% from the floor to the ceiling of the range is not unusual, as those ranges are also used for annual salary increases and companies try to keep the ranges relevant for several years. 20% change of Frost's offer (assuming it was the floor) only gets us to $1.44M. Still waaaaaaaaaay too low.

Don't a lot of contracts nowadays start with say 1.2 then year 2 is 1.5 then 1.8, 2.0, 2.5?

MadNY3 said:
The Frost camp is 100% the rumor creators as it came out in The Oregonian. Frost was making a $750k base, FWIW. Onward.

The whole thing sounds like two sides just playing games with each other.

I'd call it an ugly negotiation but I'm not really sure either side put that much time into it and I don't think anyone other than us really cares all that much.

Seems weird to me that Syverud and Coyle would even go this far down the path with him.

A lot of it is how you sell yourself. I routinely get paid less then people I am more qualified than because a. I'm terrible at selling myself and b. I'm willing to accept the first offer.

The whole thing sounds like two sides just playing games with each other.

I'd call it an ugly negotiation but I'm not really sure either side put that much time into it and I don't think anyone other than us really cares all that much.

Seems weird to me that Syverud and Coyle would even go this far down the path with him.

If they made an offer, they must have put a bunch of time into him though.

Does not sound like a devastating blow in losing Frost.

I love it when the board melts down over a rumor. Good lord the last few days have been pure gold to read! As usual the spin by the PS is like my washing machine, others have alluded to it, but this report doesn't tell the whole story.

Doesn't matter. That offer isn't close to being serious.
No matter what the incentives, it isn't a serious offer? Really? What do you know about the offer, apart from what some Oregon partisan "reports"? I am disappointed I had to click the link and give Mink any traffic, but at least he pointed out that we don't know any real details about what the offer contained, and what was left out of the Oregon "report".

What if there was a $100K bonus per win? What if the contract was back-loaded to try to keep Frost around for at least the duration of one recruiting class thru their graduation, as has been suggested? What if $2.5M is too much to spend on an unproven coordinator, anywhere, and we don't play that flavor of The Stupid Game?

I see a lot of really sad, pity-begging self-reinforcing confirmation bias in this thread. Why so many are desperately willing for someone to vindicate their own sense of doom and hopelessness is an unfathomable mystery.