Frost was offered $1.8-2.0 million (corrected) | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Frost was offered $1.8-2.0 million (corrected)

Frost wanting to be able to leave for Nebraska is not a secret.

Thinking he was locking him up for five years after he just put Mariota into the NFL and has had monster offensive seasons is ridiculous.

FIVE YEARS for a guy that probably has his Nebraska bags packed and waiting for the call is just as ridiculous as the two years.

It's why he shouldn't have been at the top of the list to begin with.

We needed our guy to be locked.
I think Coyle has the better of the situation. Who knows what will happen next year, three years out, five years? Five years is a standard contract term. At worst, Frost says no thanks, I'll hang at Oregon. Coyle need look no further than Marrone to see what can happen when a coach tries to get too smart about what his future holds.

MikeSU02 said:
Frost wanting to be able to leave for Nebraska is not a secret. Thinking he was locking him up for five years after he just put Mariota into the NFL and has had monster offensive seasons is ridiculous. FIVE YEARS for a guy that probably has his Nebraska bags packed and waiting for the call is just as ridiculous as the two years. It's why he shouldn't have been at the top of the list to begin with. We needed our guy to be locked.

Things changed. Riley at Nebraska sucks, job might open quicker. I think Coyle would have been happy with 4 years. That's why you backload the contract. He's only in consideration for a P5 job because he coached Mariota and put up huge numbers.

He conned UCF into a 3 year deal (rumor) that pays about the same.

Thinking he was locking him up for five years after he just put Mariota into the NFL and has had monster offensive seasons is ridiculous.

FIVE YEARS for a guy that probably has his Nebraska bags packed and waiting for the call is just as ridiculous as the two years.

This is a pretty one sided view... the way I'm sure it was constructed was 5 years with a buyout number in case Nebraska came calling. I'm sure Frost countered that with fine give me just 2 years and don't worry about a buyout. Remember Frost is taking a HUGE risk with a 2 year contract... if he can't deliver then we can just fire his butt and Nebraska isn't going to hire him.

I think Coyle has the better of the situation. Who knows what will happen next year, three years out, five years? Five years is a standard contract term. At worst, Frost says no thanks, I'll hang at Oregon. Coyle need look no further than Marrone to see what can happen when a coach tries to get too smart about what his future holds.

I'm happy to agree to disagree.

My contention is that we are in a bad situation and had to lock up our first public offer for momentum and recruiting and to empower Coyle.

He chose to go after a guy who has a clear end game that isn't Syracuse and is in a great situation as an OC.

The pool of candidates is shrinking and the recruiting days are dwindling.

We need every advantage we can get.

MikeSU02 said:
I'm happy to agree to disagree. My contention is that we are in a bad situation and had to lock up our first public offer for momentum and recruiting and to empower Coyle. He chose to go after a guy who has a clear end game that isn't Syracuse and is in a great situation as an OC. The pool of candidates is shrinking and the recruiting days are dwindling. We need every advantage we can get.

The pool of candidates isn't drying up yet. We are not getting Richt. We don't want Helton. We don't want Schiano or Davis.

If things look this way by Monday, I'd start worrying.

So you must have loaned your crystal ball to Coyle, if not it's on you that you didn't.

Hindsight is always 20/20 and nobody is ever "locked" until they sign on the dotted line.

This is a pretty one sided view... the way I'm sure it was constructed was 5 years with a buyout number in case Nebraska came calling. I'm sure Frost countered that with fine give me just 2 years and don't worry about a buyout. Remember Frost is taking a HUGE risk with a 2 year contract... if he can't deliver then we can just fire his butt and Nebraska isn't going to hire him.

Coyle chose to put Frost as his top target.

He chose a guy who openly wants to end up at Nebraska and has a fantastic situation to showcase his abilities as OC of Oregon.

Guys who win aren't going to worry about the risk of doing poorly because they have confidence they will succeed. They have a winning track record and aren't expecting to lose. Why change anything ever if that's the case?

These aren't timid men. These are guys that expect to succeed at all times.

texascpa said:
That should play no factor in what you pay. You pay what you believe the position is worth. It's obvious the BOT does not believe the position is worth much if this report is true.

Keep hanging onto that belief.

At least Frost didn't proclaim it to be his "dream" job. He was basically telling it straight: I know I'm hot, and will light up the Dome for a couple years to raise the profile of your program. In return I want an out if I'm successful, even if you'll feel "stepping stoned". If not, you'll want me out anyway, so this will make it easier. That's the chance both sides take. Not sure I agree with not taking the gamble here. Sounds like UCF did. We'll find out. But I actually like Frost's moxie here more than Coyle's cautiousness.

Hey that's what I said!
Sorry Otto ! lol

I try to read all comments to avoid exactly this but I guess I was so worked up over everything I missed your post!

my bad

Coyle chose to put Frost as his top target.

He chose a guy who openly wants to end up at Nebraska and has a fantastic situation to showcase his abilities as OC of Oregon.

Guys who win aren't going to worry about the risk of doing poorly because they have confidence they will succeed. They have a winning track record and aren't expecting to lose. Why change anything ever if that's the case?

These aren't timid men. These are guys that expect to succeed at all times.
So what's your point? Coyle should have known before he negotiated that Frost would come back with a two year offer? Do you think Coyle called Frost and Frost said I'm going to want a 2 year contract and Coyle said, I know you want 2 but how about 5? That's why you negotiate. Do you think S. Carolina should have never interviewed Herman even though it was news that he was getting a raise to 3mm from Houston?

Coyle is in a no win situation. If he didn't interview Frost he would be getting shat on for not interviewing the hot candidates... if he interviews someone and they say no thanks, even though they aren't being reasonable Coyle again gets shat on.

It's one thing to overreact to misinformation and quite another to continue to overreact when the misinformation is found to be incorrect.

:bat:

What? Why not spill the beans earlier.
Because I heard it from people who asked me not to since things were ongoing? And I'd prefer not to have people stop feeding me info by immediately running out and posting it?

Besides - I've been hinting at this for the past 24 hours. I spelled it almost entirely out.

Because I heard it from people who asked me not to since things were ongoing? And I'd prefer not to have people stop feeding me info by immediately running out and posting it?

Besides - I've been hinting at this for the past 24 hours. I spelled it almost entirely out.

Ok thats fair. The amount of misinfo going on is annoying though.

(IF TRUE)

That would explain Ash over Rhule and Golden.

Makes you wonder, what happened with those finances under the good doc's watch.

Also makes me wonder why we fired Shafer. Cost cutting?
We still have to pay Schafer on top of that.

I'm happy to agree to disagree.

My contention is that we are in a bad situation and had to lock up our first public offer for momentum and recruiting and to empower Coyle.

He chose to go after a guy who has a clear end game that isn't Syracuse and is in a great situation as an OC.

The pool of candidates is shrinking and the recruiting days are dwindling.

We need every advantage we can get.
name a recruit that makes or breaks this program. it doesn't matter. we are bad and if anything is going to change we have to rip off the bandaid and hire a legit coach that isn't just trying to get out of here as soon as possible. frost didn't want it, that's it.

I hope Nebraska's coach goes on a 10+ year run of success.

Or even better, in a few years when they make a coaching change they decide they want to go in a different direction from Frost.

Then the BOT should be stipulating that the position requires someone that has HC experience and pay accordingly. They have not done that and believe the position doesn't require HC experience (as has been proven from our last three hires) and that a position not requiring HC experience is worth about $1.2M. The BOT needs to seriously re-evaluate what they want and what they are willing to pay, because as Crusty said, we are going to get someone much lower on the rungs offering this amount.
I'm not arguing. I wish they wanted head coaching experience. I know that was a box on my check sheet