FSU and Clemson Rumors | Syracusefan.com

FSU and Clemson Rumors

Some people mentioning Pitt in the comments section ... so I saw: ND, Miami, Gtech, FSU, Clemson, Pitt mentioned ... sounds like a lot of horse being tossed against the wall to see what sticks

Sorry but I've been fooled too many times to believe anything that comes from someone who goes by CF247.

If it were someone that goes by Pete Thamel, or something similar, I'd be all ears.

If it's genuine, then it is what it is.

If it's just Internet rumors, then it must be:
(a) idle speculation by folks with no knowledge, who have convinced others that it is real, and allowed it to run rampant, or,

(b) intentionally started by someone for some purpose.

No idea, but (b) is the only possibility that holds some interest to me. So they question I have is, Who would benefit by the perception that the ACC is suddenly weakened? Some possibly candidates:

The Big East - During this period of flux for them, trying to patch together a New New Big East with the likes of Houston, SMU and San Diego State, does the perception of a weakened ACC benefit them? Does it help them in their TV negotiations?

Notre Dame - Always first in line to have their name thrown around in conference expansion scenarios, does Notre Dame benefit by fueling the fires of instability in college football, perpetuating the illusion of desirability? And does it help them by helping the Big East, which helps to maintain a home for their other sports?

The Big12 - Obviously it benefits them to appear to be a selector conference rather than the unstable mess they appeared to be just 10 months ago.

Florida State and Clemson - Does it help them to gain more bargaining power with their own conference if they are thought to be headed out the door? In what ways does it help them? Does it give them a greater voice in deciding who might be #15 and #16?

Any other possible culprits.

When I read this part, I knew he was full of it:

"-They (Notre Dame) want to stay independent. Their choice in this whole deal comes down to whether the new BCS is based off rankings or in fact is the conference champion model is used. Everything we hear points to the conference champion model and must be ranked in the top 6. If this happens ND goes in to the Big 12 and the fun begins with taking GT or Pitt most likely as 14."

So, if the championship model is based off of conference champions, then Notre Dame is automatically headed to the Big XII. No questions asked. No other conferences trying to pull them in. Just straight to the Big XII. I guess we can expect to hear Notre Dame announcement to join the Big XII the day after they announce that you have to win your conference to be eligible for the playoff. :crazy:

Let me clarify: I think there has been contact (IMHO the FSU BoT Moron confirmed that to me) but I remain confident that FSU and CU will see through the Schiano like Big 12 sell job and propaganda campaign and stick with the ACC.

The Internet: The world's largest game of telephone.

Still not buying all of this nonsense. Maybe the Oklahoma to the Pac12 rumors are still too fresh in my mind but I'm skeptical of pretty much everything posted on a message board these days. As Chip says, unless its coming from Thamel or McMurphy, I'm not buying it.

We should just start our own rumors and see if they catch fire.

Syracuse is headed to the Big XII. No official announcement will come until the Big XII decide on FSU or Clemson. There's a chance they could take both. In that case, it will be Syracuse, Pittsburgh, FSU and Clemson bringing the Big XII to 14.

Why do you think we have so many offers going out to prospects in Texas. ;)

So this is a Clemson insider that knows everything going on with Clemson, Miami, Notre Dame, the Big 12, Georgia Tech and FSU? And Pitt. He might, but really?

Stability good. Instability not good. Who's to say that even if FSU and Clemson bolt the ACC that additional changes won't occur? Someone else pointed out that there is no secret illuminati meeting between the Pac12, B1G, SEC and Big12 and ND to set up some 4 League super conference of 16 teams each. AND there are teams in those conferences who do not fit the so-called super 64 concept. If anything a championship in football would be more inclusive rather than less inclusive and not just include the teams that find themselves in the "Big 4" Conferences by default.

I agree that by June's end, something will have taken place; or not. I believe that the following events are important to decision making about conference realignment in order of priority-importance to universities:
1. Is the BCS NC coming from Conference champions
2. Is there the possibility for a non conference champion being in top 6 poll or whatever basis a possible entry ahead of a conference champion
3. Does each university fully understand the TV contracts as well as revenue vs. expenses...the contract differences are not as large as some have thought when expenses are included
4. Does the ACC get its bowl agreement like the SEC/Big 12 (my bet is it will and maybe even better in scope and number of bowls)
5. ND has no rush in next two-three years to make decision. NBC TV contract goes through 2015
--would ND join a conference that has one of lowest academic standards
--would ND join a conferecne where a Texas is the outcryer from the rest of
the teams
If the ACC responds in a positive way and it can help its membership understand the financials and vote in #1 and get #3 and #4 there most likely is no good reason for a team to leave. I believe that Swofford and the ACC will not stand pat and that all the talk and change that the Big 12 is pushing will turn out to be BS. Now if the SEC and B1G decide to expand then there maybe something to be concerned with...but for now let's enjoy the Memorial Day Weekend and the month of June.

Too much smoke to deny that there are not ongoing contacts. Pretty confident that GTech and Miami are committed to the ACC...their denials have been stronger. It sounds like we have some turbulent days ahead.

http://clemson.247sports.com/Board/22/Sundays-Clemson-Big-12-Update-GT-Miami-and-ND-included-9811761[/quote]

-------------------------------

Will the real insider please stand up:

One of the posters from Texas replies:

"I post on the Texas board, let me give you a different scenario. I am not doing this to be difficult, just to let you know what other schools are thinking. There is no guarantee that expanding the Big 12 will lead to a bigger pie. The thinking from Texas POV is that the only school that does that is ND. While Clemson and FSU are great regional schools, no one is sure that it will lead to more money.

Brian Ethridge has rightly pointed out that adding them would create a two division league and a league championship game. That game could earn 20+ million so some additional money via football. The problem is that Mack Brown, Bob Stoops and others don't like or want the game. It is just one more game that you have to win to get to the MNC. Lots of risk, little upside. The other problem is that it adds travel cost that will likely eat up and additional revenue made by the game.

Add to that there is no guarantee that Fox gives a step up in money for the TV contracts and you could be looking at a situation where the Revenue pie doesn't change but there are now 12 slices instead of 10.

If the deal isn't better then a couple of million more for football, then I don't think that Texas will go for it.
To explain some local politics. Texas could have left the Big 12 twice in the last three years. On both occasions Texas insisted that any move would include Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, OU and aTm. While aTm was a butt hurt baby and went to the SEC after 100 years of getting their ass kicked. The other schools appreciated Texas standing by them. The point is they will vote with Texas.

While some of the schools in the Big 12 are all for expansion (a little more money maybe and bigger issue security) it is far from a done deal that Texas, OU and others will support it unless it makes the pie a lot bigger.
Sorry for the edit but one more really important point. For the deal to get nixed, you would need two Big 12 teams to vote against it. Texas couldn't block it alone but as I pointed out OSU, OU and Tech would all probably vote with them."

Then another poster says:

"ut755, you are either obtuse or naive. The tier 1 contract expires in 2016 and talks are currently underway with ESPN to extend that contract. That is where the substantial increase in revenue is likely to occur. This is a completely different situation than the SEC or the ACC faced when they added teams. They had to reprice and existing long-term contact (expiring in 2024 in the SEC's case). The tier 2 contract with Fox will most certainly be repriced to avoid dilution. There will likely be an increase in the per team payout from that contract as well because adding two teams increases the tier 2 inventory. Whether adding FSU/Clemson will increase the per team payout from the rumored $20 million to the rumored $25 million remains to be seen, but it will not be dilutive. Saying that the increased travel costs from a championship game will eat up any additional revenue from that game is just silly talk."

Let's assume the ACC isn't the frontrunner for ND. I would be sincerely SHOCKED if ND chose the B12 ahead of the B1G. There is no way on god's green earth that scenario happens.

I agree with 44 pride. There is no way that ND goes to the 12 none. Touchdown Jesus would bolt if that were to happen. Geographic choice would be the Big but Academic choice would be the ACC. The fact that ND has all of their non football sports in the East and has for a long time leads me to believe that they may side with the ACC. I really see this as a toss up for the Irish

I must be missing something, because for the life of me I cannot understand this notion that the Big 12 is a better football conference than the ACC. Do the fans clamoring for FSU and Clemson to leave realize that Nebraska and Texas A&M aren't there anymore?

If you look at programs based on brand names and historical success, and not just last season's results, I'd break the leagues down into the following tiers:

Tier 1: ACC: Miami and Florida State. Big 12: Texas and Oklahoma. Slight edge to the Big 12, but given the talent in Florida Miami and FSU can easily rise again. Also, I do not put any stock into the notion that NCAA sanctions will permanently cripple Miami.

Tier 2: ACC: Virginia Tech, Clemson, Ga Tech, UVa, BC, Syracuse, Pitt, Maryland, UNC and NC State. Big 12: West Virginia, TCU, Oklahoma St., Texas Tech and Kansas St. (historically one of the worst programs ever but on a sustained run now). Big edge to ACC here. When you look at this tier it becomes evident that the ACC is a superior football league.

Tier 3: ACC: Wake Forest and Duke. Big 12: Baylor, Iowa State and Kansas. A higher percentage of Big 12 teams are historic also-rans.

In short, FSU and Clemson fans who want to leave the ACC may want to think this through a little more, and spend less time listening to WVU fans.

Notre Dame isn't playing anything in Ames or Manhattan KS or anything like that. Just goofy stuff.

They either stick with CYO ball or end up in the ACC (sorry Townie, gotta disagree on this one)

Some people mentioning Pitt in the comments section ... so I saw: ND, Miami, Gtech, FSU, Clemson, Pitt mentioned ... sounds like a lot of horse **** being tossed against the wall to see what sticks

How is Pitt going to pay both the BE exit fee, whatever it ends up being, AND the $20 MIL exit fee to get out of the ACC? That alone could be $30 million of upfront costs that you can guarantee Pitt does not have. Paying a chunk of dough out like that cannot be done on a whim, and it would take them YEARS to get it back, if at all. This thing is about trying to coax FSU, and the rest are red herrings. Any team going to the Texas Conference would be stupid. I think the Big 12 wants their championship game again and are trying to get a steal with FSU before they end up with more scraps (ie raiding the NNBE).

How is Pitt going to pay both the BE exit fee, whatever it ends up being, AND the $20 MIL exit fee to get out of the ACC? That alone could be $30 million of upfront costs that you can guarantee Pitt does not have. Paying a chunk of dough out like that cannot be done on a whim, and it would take them YEARS to get it back, if at all. This thing is about trying to coax FSU, and the rest are red herrings. Any team going to the Texas Conference would be stupid. I think the Big 12 wants their championship game again and are trying to get a steal with FSU before they end up with more scraps (ie raiding the NNBE).
i.e. Houston / SMU

Here is a somewhat different take by a Clemson University Economics Professor.
His analysis is that there would be little $$$ earned by Clemson in the third tier of the Big 12...his stance appears well said. Furthermore he believes that the big challenge is making conference games more important not less so. His belief is that a playoff of 8 teams is better for competition and revenue. Here is link:
http://www.postandcourier.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120527/PC20/120529233

His analysis is that there would be little $$$ earned by Clemson in the third tier of the Big 12...his stance appears well said. Furthermore he believes that the big challenge is making conference games more important not less so. His belief is that a playoff of 8 teams is better for competition and revenue. Here is link:
http://www.postandcourier.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120527/PC20/120529233

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I think he's possibly talking about putting more value on the conference championship games by making winning that game the avenue into the 4-team playoff. This would, in essence, expand the playoffs to 8 teams (or 10 teams if there are 5 power conferences) while increasing the value of the regular season.

Cheers,
Neil

I pretty much agree with him on everything...especially the 8-team model.

The Internet: The world's largest game of telephone.

Still not buying all of this nonsense. Maybe the Oklahoma to the Pac12 rumors are still too fresh in my mind but I'm skeptical of pretty much everything posted on a message board these days. As Chip says, unless its coming from Thamel or McMurphy, I'm not buying it.

I just tweeted Swaim that the Big 12 feeds him his info on purpose. The league wants to control the conversation, cause dissention in the ACC. If anyone has ever read any of Swaim's stuff you'd think (like me) that he's way too dumb to have a credible source that would leak secret news to him.