FSU Postgame Thoughts | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

FSU Postgame Thoughts

8 and 9 seconds to cross mid court and almost no passing didn't work out too well.
7 assists for the team. I'm not sure if we had any in the second half.
Soft.

Red got worked by the last coach leaving him with a talent hole to dig out of

Devil’s Advocate: If not for that talent hole, Red wouldn’t be a HC right now

I said at halftime it was surprising were up 1 with the way we were playing. Hard to win when you have 3 players come close to playing close to their potential -- Mintz, Brown and Williams, yes Williams -- missed 2 follows but had 8 rebounds and 2 assists, both of which were second high on the team. He has to start over Taylor, who once again was a huge minus on the court. Maybe if Williams gets into the game at the start he will play up to his potential. Taylor certainly has not.

Red got worked tonight
Not really. There’s not much he could’ve done differently. Maybe make sure they guard the 3pt shooter when we went zone, which we didn’t do and he nailed the 3. Game over at that point. But not many levers to be pulled.

Red got worked by the last coach leaving him with a talent hole to dig out of
If only there was a portal full of players that could be used to get more talent. I think FSU had a couple of those

Childress was right early in the second half when he said FSU had enough subs to wear us out. And they did.
And when you don't have shooters, you let your guards try to do something and they couldn't keep up the pace.

It's a joke that some are ready to throw Red to the curb again. He got very little from his bench and not much more from two of his starters.

FSU was taller, quicker, stronger. Pretty good players too. And their team has an identity at both ends of the court.
Every time our players went to shoot, someone 6"s taller was guarding them.
They ran us into the ground.
Seems to me like we could have gone to the rim more often, but Judah was gassed.
We were up 7, until we weren't.
our last gasp w 7 mins left, only down 5 and we stopped scoring and got 0 stops.

1000001998.jpg

I had to put the kids to bed so I missed 80% of the game but to me it seems like this was more on the players, no?
We looked like we have never practiced a press break before and the half court offense was a my turn, your turn for the majority of the second half. I don't expect us to run some intricate chit non-stop like Yukon or Purdue does but it seemed like once they started to get disruptive in 2H we just threw our hands up and asked Judah and JJ to create off the bounce every possession.

The loss is not at all solely on Red, and the guys on the court quit around the under 4, but this was the first time this season where I thought he flat out got out-coached. It happens and he will learn from it. Just tough timing coming off a big win and trying to get momentum to sneak into the tourney.

Last edited:
We looked like we have never practiced a press break before and the half court offense was a my turn, your turn for the majority of the second half. I don't expect us to run some intricate chit non-stop like Yukon or Purdue does but it seemed like once they start to get disruptive in 2H we just threw our hands up and asked Judah and JJ to create off the bounce every possession.

The loss is not at all solely on Red, and the guys on the court quit around the under 4, but this was the first time this season where I thought he flat out got out-coached. It happens and he will learn from it. Just tough timing coming off a big win and trying to get momentum to sneak into the tourney.
Good recap. Thanks.

Let’s see what he does in offseason to change that. Early rumors are “not much.” Hope that changes.
You’re hearing he’s not going to have much roster movement?

I had to put the kids to bed so I missed 80% of the game but to me it seems like this was more on the players, no?
It was a very physical game. We got ground down. You could probably argue some guys didn't show up. Some didn't, like Q & Taylor. Others were doing OK, but kept missing easy tap ins, like Benny. We just couldn't match their intensity, but for 28 minutes, & folded.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom