FSU vs The ACC | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

FSU vs The ACC

Why wouldn't the ACC want a partner in Florida State that isn't spending a good part of the next 12 years trying to undermine the conference?

How can they undermine the conference? They can bitch and complain all they want but there is nothing that will impact the rest of the teams. The ACC has FSU by the balls.

1- They were looking for a reason, and now they got there reason because they went undefeated and missed the playoffs. Even though it was a justified reason they believe they were wronged.

2- McMurphy mentions the Big 12. That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. FSU does all this to leave the ACC to only go to the Big 12 which makes less money than the ACC? Not to mention it’s another half ESPN product.

3- I can’t see the SEC taking FSU. They already have a much bigger brand in Florida. Florida will fight it and they are a big factor in sEC. It’s not like A&M who just joined the conference. Florida has allies.

4- It’s Big 10 or independence. And the money is gone. Everyone just reipped their contracts. There isn’t money out there to buy product right now. And FSU is NOT ND. They aren’t coming close to the money ND signed for. Which is even less than what the ACC gets but they want their independence.

So again, it’s Big 10 or bust for FSU. Which, means this isn’t just FSU vs ACC. This is ACC and ESPN against FSU. ESPN will not allow FSU and product to leave and they will fight it because it’s probably Fox that have gone through back doors.

None of this makes any sense. At best they pay their way out of the ACC (indebted for years to come), and get an invite to the B18 at a half share until the next B18 TV contract (meaning they make less money than in the ACC). By the time this makes financial sense for FSU they would have been out of the GOR anyway. They are actually worse off leaving both financially and competitively by leaving now.

I think the meeting is to explain to the board what the options are for FSU. I don't think they are leaving, but I do think they want to test the legality of the GORs in court to better understand their options. It is interesting that the 3 schools that voted to not expand with Stanford and Cal (NC St. changed their view when SMU sweetened the financial pot), FSU, Clemson, and UNC, are the most attractive schools to the P2 and the three most rumored to want to leave.

I think the meeting is to explain to the board what the options are for FSU. I don't think they are leaving, but I do think they want to test the legality of the GORs in court to better understand their options. It is interesting that the 3 schools that voted to not expand with Stanford and Cal (NC St. changed their view when SMU sweetened the financial pot), FSU, Clemson, and UNC, are the most attractive schools to the P2 and the three most rumored to want to leave.
Florida or Texas are both huge growth opportunities for the BIG. I don't think there's anyone left in Texas that moves the needle, but FSU brings a lot of TV sets in the 3rd most populous state and is in the heart of the SEC. If I were the BIG, that's where I'd want to expand.

GOR is obviously an issue, but I'd keep trying until something worked.

None of this makes any sense. At best they pay their way out of the ACC (indebted for years to come), and get an invite to the B18 at a half share until the next B18 TV contract (meaning they make less money than in the ACC). By the time this makes financial sense for FSU they would have been out of the GOR anyway. They are actually worse off leaving both financially and competitively by leaving now.
You’re thinking like a rational adult which FSU is neither.

Florida or Texas are both huge growth opportunities for the BIG. I don't think there's anyone left in Texas that moves the needle, but FSU brings a lot of TV sets in the 3rd most populous state and is in the heart of the SEC. If I were the BIG, that's where I'd want to expand.

GOR is obviously an issue, but I'd keep trying until something worked.
If FSU actually litigates the GORs, every school in the ACC will start thinking about their future and start talking to other conferences.

If FSU actually litigates the GORs, every school in the ACC will start thinking about their future and start talking to other conferences.

Litigation does not equal success. They can sue all they want but if it ends up where they started, then they've accomplished little to nothing.
FSU is the canary in the coal mine- everyone else will watch them as they try to fight the GOR, and depending on outcome, either follow their lead or stay put. Why should anyone join them when they can sit back and let FSU and their pocketbook lead the way?

Oh, and you can bet your bottom dollar, everyone has already been thinking about their future and talked to other conferences. It wouldn't be prudent not to.

1- They were looking for a reason, and now they got there reason because they went undefeated and missed the playoffs. Even though it was a justified reason they believe they were wronged.

2- McMurphy mentions the Big 12. That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. FSU does all this to leave the ACC to only go to the Big 12 which makes less money than the ACC? Not to mention it’s another half ESPN product.

3- I can’t see the SEC taking FSU. They already have a much bigger brand in Florida. Florida will fight it and they are a big factor in sEC. It’s not like A&M who just joined the conference. Florida has allies.

4- It’s Big 10 or independence. And the money is gone. Everyone just reipped their contracts. There isn’t money out there to buy product right now. And FSU is NOT ND. They aren’t coming close to the money ND signed for. Which is even less than what the ACC gets but they want their independence.

So again, it’s Big 10 or bust for FSU. Which, means this isn’t just FSU vs ACC. This is ACC and ESPN against FSU. ESPN will not allow FSU and product to leave and they will fight it because it’s probably Fox that have gone through back doors.
And ESPN is well aware of the GOR contract terms.

Great, great post.

FSU has to fight the ACC, member schools and the networks. The GORs benefit the conferences, schools and networks. If the GOR is useless, then the networks have no hold on anyone.

Further, if it was as easy as the interwebs morons say it is, it would have been done sooner. UT, OU, USC (the real one, not Rutgers), and UCLA looked into it and decided to wait it out. Yes, OU and UT left a year early for a pile of cash and it benefitted everyone.

FSU has no resources to leave early. They cannot afford the exit fee, $120+MM, let alone the TV rights buyback. There are too many movies g parts right now. FSU can huff and puff and threaten to blow the ACC house down but it's just hot air, nothing more.

Anyway, this has been discussed as nauseum. If FSU could have done they would have done it.

Last point: Anyone who thinks the price is not high should recall that UNC can write a check and it would be a line item on their books but UNC does not want to write that check. This, we can conclude that it is too high for their interest.

Things may change in 10 years, but not right now.

FSU has to fight the ACC, member schools and the networks. The GORs benefit the conferences, schools and networks. If the GOR is useless, then the networks have no hold on anyone.

Further, if it was as easy as the interwebs morons say it is, it would have been done sooner. UT, OU, USC (the real one, not Rutgers), and UCLA looked into it and decided to wait it out. Yes, OU and UT left a year early for a pile of cash and it benefitted everyone.

FSU has no resources to leave early. They cannot afford the exit fee, $120+MM, let alone the TV rights buyback. There are too many movies g parts right now. FSU can huff and puff and threaten to blow the ACC house down but it's just hot air, nothing more.

Anyway, this has been discussed as nauseum. If FSU could have done they would have done it.

Last point: Anyone who thinks the price is not high should recall that UNC can write a check and it would be a line item on their books but UNC does not want to write that check. This, we can conclude that it is too high for their interest.

Another great post.

Uh... The Big 12? They are really flailing. If this move had any validity, it would be done and dusted.

ACC > Big12 as they do not have a TV network. That is a very stupid statement.

If they lose any potential lawsuit they will be toast.

If they took all that money they are about to spend on attorneys and invested into the program they wouldn’t be bitching. Bottom line is FSU rode on the coattails of Bowden and didn’t invest into the program and are now playing catch up.
Without Bowden they would be as Arizona State in FB - a sometimes successful program, but of course it was the rivalry with Miami too that helped to make them and UM won 5 of those mythical NCs. I still resent that they pushed him out early. Former President Thrasher was a party to that. That was disgraceful IMO but as someone said here the sociopaths in these schools would push a grandparent down a stairwell for more $$$, a condition dare I say that we see in this country today in many areas.

They go like 8-4 in the sec & yes they should have got in the playoff but they would have been pumped.

Texas and Oklahoma said to the B12...

My offer is this: Nothing. Not even the exit fee or the money FOX wants, which we would appreciate if you would put up personally.

The B12 bylaws said Texas and Oklahoma owed an $80M exit fee each. They did not pay a thing. The B12 owned those school's TV rights in 2024, and they did not pay the B12 anything for those rights. FOX supposedly settled for $20M for the 2024 TV rights which will be paid by the B12, not Texas or Oklahoma.

Texas and Oklahoma paid a combined $0.00 and had $0.00 withheld from the B12.

Now the FSU situation is completely different. They have a dozen years left instead of only one. And if they go to the B18, ESPN needs to be made whole. If we are using the $20M/year precedent for TV rights, that is a lot of money.

Also remember the ACC wanted a $52M exit fee from Maryland, who got off for only $31M. So that is another precedent to keep in mind.

If the SEC wants FSU, they can leave for a similar deal as Texas/Oklahoma since ESPN owns both the SEC and ACC. But there is no incentive to take FSU before 2032 given the SEC's current TV deal. So why meet today about an SEC move?

If FSU wants to move to the B18 they need to...

1. Establish what FSU's TV value is. Which BTW they kind of screwed themselves when they pushed for more ACC money. They overvalued themselves and cannot now low ball it.

2. Establish that ESPN is severely under paying the ACC. The problem here is this conflicts with keeping the first point low.

3. Establish that the ACC value post FSU is the same as what ESPN currently pays the ACC. Which means ESPN is paying fair market value, and is not damaged by FSU leaving.

Even if they pulled off the above (which I think isn't possible), they would need to forgo B18 TV $ compensation for the length of the ACC GOR. They cannot get paid for something they do not own (just like Texas and Oklahoma next year in the SEC). Which means FSU will be getting less money in the B18 vs staying in the ACC. So what exactly is the point in leaving?

The other option is to buy back the TV rights. Which they cannot afford to do.

Uh... The Big 12? They are really flailing. If this move had any validity, it would be done and dusted.

That source is 100% from FSU.

“Oppenheimer-like”?!

Texas, Oklahoma and USC are all changing leagues, but FSU is going to have a nuclear blast-like impact?

Oooooookkkkk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom