FSU vs The ACC | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

FSU vs The ACC

Sorry if already been posted but CBS sports channel bottom ticker says the board estimates it will cost $572 million to leave. Hope it's all worth it

Look at TV ratings/attendance and compare the current Big 12 schools vs the potential left behind ACC schools. I think the Big 12 looks better.

Here are the TV ratings of the Big 12 Championship vs the ACC Championship in 2022 and 2021 in which the Big 12 did not have either Texas or Oklahoma and ACC didn't have FSU:

2022:
Big 12: Kansas St./TCU 9.4 million viewers
ACC: Clemson/North Carolina 3.5 million viewers

2021:
Big 12: Baylor/Oklahoma St. 8.0 million viewers
ACC: Pitt/Wake Forest 2.7 million viewers

And, if FSU figures a way out, there will be other top ACC schools leaving. And don't think ESPN would not be an enabler like they were when the ACC picked apart the Big East. All ESPN has to do is say they won't exercise their ACC option after 2027 and it's game over.

As far as the Big 10 and SEC, they aren't going to come right out and say they want FSU or any other ACC school for legal reasons. If FSU figures a way out of the ACC, then the other conferences will express interest.
Part that of that is because the ACC inexplicably plays it’s game head to head v the big 10.

With no more PAC, they all can have a slot to themselves.

How many teams that have jumped conferences in the past 10 years or so of this conference mayhem won or been in a contention to win a football playoff National Championship? Just wondering?
Probably just Utah after they went to the now defunct Pac 12 (took a while to work up to a contender). Texas is still technically in the Big 12 this year.
Remember next year the playoff expands.

I would think FSU already has a suitor or they are dumber than I imagined.
I equate it to the office worker hitting on the hot intern. They use the "but you're married" excuse to politely get him to go away. The next week, he says "I divorced my wife, we can go out now" and the creeped-out intern needs to come up with another excuse.

I think FSU actually anticipates a bidding war if they can get out of the conference.

Sorry if already been posted but CBS sports channel bottom ticker says the board estimates it will cost $572 million to leave. Hope it's all worth it
I believe that they are trying to get out of paying that.

I equate it to the office worker hitting on the hot intern. They use the "but you're married" excuse to politely get him to go away. The next week, he says "I divorced my wife, we can go out now" and the creeped-out intern needs to come up with another excuse.

I think FSU actually anticipates a bidding war if they can get out of the conference.
I think that FSU is partially doing this to show that they're the biggest brand in the conference.

You basically just said the big12 has useless teams because nobody wants them. If the creme de la creme leave the ACC, the ACC will replace that with the best of the big12.

Nobody give a flying faluck about iowa st, okie st, TT, SMU, Baylor etc.

Yeah, The Big 12's army of Comic Book Guys on Twitter aside, they don't have a network or any premier brands. And their contract comes due before the ACC, could be a swift fall.

Yeah, The Big 12's army of Comic Book Guys on Twitter aside, they don't have a network or any premier brands. And their contract comes due before the ACC, could be a swift fall.
I will have you know that Central Florida is poised for greatness.

1703280557569.jpeg

At a certain point I'd think that the SEC/B10 are done adding teams and the B12/ACC or 3rd conference is "safe". Heck, maybe at some point they'd want to boot smaller market schools such as Maryland etc... ?

fsu will come up with what is necessary, to get them out after the legal stuff is done and a compromise is met. this is the deep southland, and NOTHING is more sacred than football. in order of priority: FOOTBALL, family, FOOTBALL, god , FOOTBALL, country, AMEN, pass the turkey.

At a certain point I'd think that the SEC/B10 are done adding teams and the B12/ACC or 3rd conference is "safe". Heck, maybe at some point they'd want to boot smaller market schools such as Maryland etc... ?

The SEC doesn't need them. I assume if there's a place it's the B1G. IF they're doing this for the Big 12 they're too dumb to be here anyway.

I believe that they are trying to get out of paying that.

Yup. Their argument is they signed the contract under the expectation that the ACC would manage the business end of the contract adequately - including negotiating and securing adequate media licensing monies for its member schools with the GOR stipulations.

FSU is basically saying the ACC has mismanaged the media rights negotiations to the point of professional negligence and that the professional negligence (negotiated rights at a fraction of the of peer P4 conferences) amounts to a breach of contract by the ACC... and that the breach of contract should allow them to leave the conference without paying the GOR penalty.

Last edited:
Yup. Their argument is they signed the contract under the expectation that the ACC would manage the business end of the contract adequately - including negotiating and securing adequate media licensing monies for its member schools with the GOR stipulations.

FSU is basically saying the ACC has mismanaged the media rights negotiations to the point of professional negligence and that the professional negligence (negotiated rights at a fraction of the of peer P4 conferences) amounts to a breach of contract by the ACC... and that the breach of contract should allow them to leave the conference without paying the GOR penalty.
I am not a lawyer, but this seems like a stretch of an argument.

fsu will come up with what is necessary, to get them out after the legal stuff is done and a compromise is met. this is the deep southland, and NOTHING is more sacred than football. in order of priority: FOOTBALL, family, FOOTBALL, god , FOOTBALL, country, AMEN, pass the turkey.
Personally, I wouldn't consider Tallahassee the Deep South. That's just me.

FSU got outbid for Jimbo's services not too long ago. FSU has some money, but they're far far from rich.

There's no incentive to negotiate anything down for FSU At. All. Zero...zip...nothing. if anything FSU could get stuck paying ACC legal fees when it is confirmed FSU made fully informed and evaluated decisions before signing this ACC contract. Over a long term contract, somewhere is written the expected fees/payouts with likely language calling out look ins, etc. If people don't think attorneys from every school AND each schools specialized outside counsel also didn't review, question and pressure test the Gor as well, I don't know what to tell you. My expectation would be there's so much correspondence between all parties confirming their review and approval. No school, anywhere in the last decade is signing their media rights away without absolutely scrutinizing those terms.

The SEC desperately does not want the BT locating in the South with any major football ewer or with any school like UNC or UVA. The BT knows that it cannot ever really hope to equal SEC football faulty unless it has at least a few sound football program in the South. So, yes, both leagues would bid to get FSU, to prevent the other from doing so.

Any school that is not FSU, Clemson, UNC, UVA, maybe Miami that has resisted the league taking a hunk of the TV money and distributing it based on TV numbers has been stupid. That might have satisfied FSU for years.

No we don't know that UT and OU agreed to that. You are making assumptions based on the B12's spin.

I will make it simple. Answer these questions and just these questions, no tangents.

1. Are Texas and Oklahoma paying any money out of pocket to leave the B12? Yes or No. If yes, please provide supporting article.

2. Are Texas and Oklahoma having any money withheld from the 2023-24 payout? Yes or No. If yes, please provide supporting article.

Please see: Big 12 Announces Agreement for Withdrawal of Texas and Oklahoma

IRVING, Texas — The Big 12 announces that the Conference has agreed in principle to terms with the University of Oklahoma and The University of Texas at Austin to leave the Conference following the 2023-24 athletic year, one year earlier than originally announced, subject to final approval from the OU and UT governing Boards. Compensation to the Conference for the early withdrawals of the two schools totals $100 million in foregone distributable revenues, which OU and UT will be able to partially offset with future revenues.

And:

The Big 12 announces that the Conference has agreed in principle to terms with the University of Oklahoma and The University of Texas at Austin to leave the Conference following the 2023-24 athletic year, one year earlier than originally announced, subject to final approval from the OU and UT governing Boards. Compensation to the Conference for the early withdrawals of the two schools totals $100 million in foregone distributable revenues, which OU and UT will be able to partially offset with future revenues.

Please note that each link is from each school's official website. The statement is from the Big 12. The statements are the same. Three parties to the agreement, posted at two of the parties official sites. This official statement carries much more weight that an internet airhead posting bad math to explain why neither school is paying anything to leave. Believe what you like, but neither school will receive a pay out of the 2023-2024 deal, to be paid after the sports year, unless the earnings exceed the agreement. They may receive postseason incentives and will receive monies for reimbursable expenses (if any). This happens daily in the contracting world. I work in the contracting world, I have some experience in this type of arrangement.

Further, there is no evidence that the deal has been negotiated downwards except from statements taken out of context. There is no incentive for the Big 12 to reduce the costs of getting out early as this was agreed upon by the three parties involved.

Forgive me for holding my ground on this point, but unless the parties state otherwise, there is no basis to fundamentally believe anything different.

For those that want a little more proof:

I once had a woman that paid me $6800 for materials for a job in banded $1s and rolled quarters. I wanted to strangle her. It was a full plastic grocery bag and then some.
Strangle her? There isn't a jury in the great United States that would have convicted you for beating her with that bag full of singles and quarters.

The SEC doesn't need them. I assume if there's a place it's the B1G. IF they're doing this for the Big 12 they're too dumb to be here anyway.
Yeah even the Big Ten if they wanted to get some schools in the south. I think there better off calling Georgia Tech (Atlanta), USF (Tampa/ St Pete), UCF (Orlando), and Miami or FAU (West Palm Beach/Miami/Fort Lauderdale) before FSU. Tallahassee is so difficult too travel to, even within many parts of the state of Florida. The other Florida schools are just in much more desirable locations.

They will be done, after they've added all they see as having Big Value. That list starts with ND. They intend to so weaken the ACC that ND must join the BT. Stupid, selfish ND has played right along the whole way, assuming it was too big to ever be bothered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom