FSU vs The ACC | Page 45 | Syracusefan.com

FSU vs The ACC

I honestly think it’s about more than just money. Money is certainly a big part if it. But I think it’s more about ego. The FSU big donors just can’t stand the idea that their school isn’t fight it out with Alabama and Georgia and Ohio State and Michigan every year. They feel disrespected.
If Travis hadn't gotten hurt the SEC would have been left out since Texas beat Bama head to head.

There wasn't a good outcome for the Noles they would have been curbstomped by any of these teams with their backup QB...who transferred out because he knows he stinks and won't have a chance at being the starter next year.

I mean yeah sure it would have been better to get humiliated by Michigan than Georgia but its the same end result and of course the SEC being left out would have been nice but people would be talking about how Michigan didn't earn their title with no SEC team in the field.

Sucks Norvell didn't get picked off and hired elsewhere.

The GOR probably spells out where any suit against it has to take place.
If the courts decide on overturning the grant of rights contract, after a school(s) signed and collected on it for a decade, you are talking massive uncertanity in all facets of college football. I can't see either side getting everything they want in this. But to allow FSU to just walk is total insanity. I see potential mediation between the parties and a possible amendment to the current GOR contract. Would and should be substantial sum, but if this isn't settled fairly quickly, ESPN may opt out of the media deal next year. Thoughts?

I think we’d think that way but it’s kind of like thinking a new team won’t want a player from the portal who didn’t play their bowl game or left b/c of playing time. Seems “unsavory” maybe to some fans, teams looking for players don’t care though. Any new conference I don’t think cares about that at all. You could argue any of the teams they’ve added in the last 10 or so years left in ways that may seem unattractive. The new conference could care less how it goes down as long as they are benefiting at the end of the day.
SEC doesn't want FSU IMO driven by UF. B1G needs better teams and foothold in FL. That said unless a conference is willing to help fund this exit, FSU is on its own. To me the real player is ESPN. What are they saying and doing behind the scenes?

If the courts decide on overturning the grant of rights contract, after a school(s) signed and collected on it for a decade, you are talking massive uncertanity in all facets of college football. I can't see either side getting everything they want in this. But to allow FSU to just walk is total insanity. I see potential mediation between the parties and a possible amendment to the current GOR contract. Would and should be substantial sum, but if this isn't settled fairly quickly, ESPN may opt out of the media deal next year. Thoughts?
I don't see why ESPN would opt out of the deal next year when they can extend it for another 10 years (maybe 11).

They are paying the ACC below market value today. They can extend this great deal for more than a decade. Why wouldn't they do it?

I could understand if the market for college sports had collapsed and ESPN was losing money showing ACC sports. But with the deal they have, this is clearly not the case.

But let's see what the impact of no renewing is.

If they let it end, the schools in the ACC will look to get a better deal elsewhere.

A few would get deals with the SEC and/or the B1G. ESPN would have to pay more for the same team if they go to the SEC. If they go to the B1G, they are lost. A disaster for them.

The rest would presumably go to the B12. I think that league is split with FOX so you lose significant control of your inventory and your costs are about the same (ESPN pays both about the same).

Then there is the matter of the ACCN. It delivers a lot of revenue (I believe over $150 million per year for ESPN). That just dies on the vine. Poof. That revenue stream disappears.

I think SUTomC explained it better than I could.
We are in uncharted territory for sure, but right now the best move appears to be waiting out the courts initial decisions, and adjusting accordingly.
FSU still remains in the worst position, by far. They filed this suit now, and there doesn't appear to be an endgame. The CFP expands this season, and more than likely, they would've been a shoe-in for a spot. The only caveat might be if they're getting backdoor counsel from the P2, promising them a landing spot or something. Otherwise, the suit makes little sense other than cutting off their nose to spite their face.
ACC needs to just watch and wait, and see where the dominoes fall. And oh...offer no lifelines for an escape! JMHO

If Travis hadn't gotten hurt the SEC would have been left out since Texas beat Bama head to head.

There wasn't a good outcome for the Noles they would have been curbstomped by any of these teams with their backup QB...who transferred out because he knows he stinks and won't have a chance at being the starter next year.

I mean yeah sure it would have been better to get humiliated by Michigan than Georgia but its the same end result and of course the SEC being left out would have been nice but people would be talking about how Michigan didn't earn their title with no SEC team in the field.

Sucks Norvell didn't get picked off and hired elsewhere.

I thought the Noles defense was legit. They would've lost but in low scoring games imo. The reverse of their LVille game.

I don't see why ESPN would opt out of the deal next year when they can extend it for another 10 years (maybe 11).

They are paying the ACC below market value today. They can extend this great deal for more than a decade. Why wouldn't they do it?

I could understand if the market for college sports had collapsed and ESPN was losing money showing ACC sports. But with the deal they have, this is clearly not the case.

But let's see what the impact of no renewing is.

If they let it end, the schools in the ACC will look to get a better deal elsewhere.

A few would get deals with the SEC and/or the B1G. ESPN would have to pay more for the same team if they go to the SEC. If they go to the B1G, they are lost. A disaster for them.

The rest would presumably go to the B12. I think that league is split with FOX so you lose significant control of your inventory and your costs are about the same (ESPN pays both about the same).

Then there is the matter of the ACCN. It delivers a lot of revenue (I believe over $150 million per year for ESPN). That just dies on the vine. Poof. That revenue stream disappears.
Just caught up with the B1G deal leaving ESPN on the sidelines, now this makes sense. Would be wise for ACC to hold firm on FSU but if they do bolt that may open opportunities within the conference. Just fed up with all these mergers and taking down old rivalries and conferences. Then of course there are all the other sports programs that have to go along for the ride, Boy I for one miss the Big East BB we so enjoyed!

Interesting listen and gives an insight into the FSU minds. As per this guy, FSU Board of Trustees has raised $300 million to get out of the ACC but wants to get out for $150 million.

Starts at 30:14 for reference FSU And ACC Fallout

Interesting listen and gives an insight into the FSU minds. As per this guy, FSU Board of Trustees has raised $300 million to get out of the ACC but wants to get out for $150 million.

Starts at 30:14 for reference FSU And ACC Fallout
I don't have time to listen, but does it mention what their endgame is? Obviously they want to be in the SEC or B10. But, do they already have a spot, provided they get out?

I don't have time to listen, but does it mention what their endgame is? Obviously they want to be in the SEC or B10. But, do they already have a spot, provided they get out?
I listened a few mins

Just all speculation and wishful thinking. They think the ACC will accept $150M.

They think FSU already knew they'd win.

I listened a few mins

Just all speculation and wishful thinking. They think the ACC will accept $150M.

Agreed.. pretty delusional at $150 million if you ask me and wishful thinking. They think they can win as the ACC doesn’t want to air the dirty laundry so to speak and thus the ACC will settle for penny’s on the dollar.

Edit: I can’t see the ACC settling for anything less than a 1/2 billion as the floor and they are vastly short of that.

If any court invalidates the GoR as a concept, no conference is safe. I'll say this once again, the answer to the supposedly rhetorical question "Why would anyone leave behind the big money they get in the SEC or the B1G?" is "For even bigger money in a conference of only bluebloods." And if there's nothing that legally holds Bama, Georgia, Ohio State, and Michigan in their present conferences anymore, they'll be gone for that bigger paycheck in a nanosecond.

I listened a few mins

So, just to recap, FSU believes that the ACC will be willing to settle for less than 15% of the total worth of the contract, because they want to avoid "dirty laundry"?
And...they believe that they'll overturn the GOR, something no other conference or institution has been able to accomplish, and has studiously avoided because of its impact? Got it.

If any court invalidates the GoR as a concept, no conference is safe. I'll say this once again, the answer to the supposedly rhetorical question "Why would anyone leave behind the big money they get in the SEC or the B1G?" is "For even bigger money in a conference of only bluebloods." And if there's nothing that legally holds Bama, Georgia, Ohio State, and Michigan in their present conferences anymore, they'll be gone for that bigger paycheck in a nanosecond.

Rutgers, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Maryland would be dropped so fast if this is the case.

I still think the two sides will come to a settlement. More than 150mm, less 500mm. I also think the deal that FSU strikes will end up putting them in a worse position than the schools that stay because no one knows how it all shakes out in 10 years anyway. However, FSU will have had to pay all this money to go...nowhere maybe

Rutgers, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Maryland would be dropped so fast if this is the case.

I still think the two sides will come to a settlement. More than 150mm, less 500mm. I also think the deal that FSU strikes will end up putting them in a worse position than the schools that stay because no one knows how it all shakes out in 10 years anyway. However, FSU will have had to pay all this money to go...nowhere maybe
ACC has to make it painful. No bending over and absolutely no deals.

Incentive to settle (at a very steep price to FSU) is that for the league even a 5% chance of losing is existential.

Incentive to settle (at a very steep price to FSU) is that for the league even a 5% chance of losing is existential.

Has there been any inkling whatsoever that they're likely to lose this case? Maybe after a few rulings go against them... but not before.

I listened a few mins

I can’t buy it. Not saying it isn’t true but if it was that easy it would have happened already. I heard that it is somewhat de on the state the case would be in. Again I think there is no 150 even moves the dial.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom