FSU vs The ACC | Page 43 | Syracusefan.com

FSU vs The ACC

FSU went all “scorched earth“ as someone said above which is very accurate without any foresight, leverage, position of strength, and very limited resources to back up their actions/behaviors. FSU better hope that the State of Florida comes to their rescue to bail them out financially as this could be a billion dollar plus error on their part including legal fees that they have to pay.

It was a desperate move by a desperate school/BOT. The school won with Bowden even though they were falling behind in a spending war. Jimbo Fischer was unrealistic in his demands - but he was accurate in that they needed to spend more to keep up.

The problem was and is they have no way to actually do that, unless money floats down to them from heaven. This was and is an attempt to get the money they have no other way to access... the problem is it just delays the inevitable of them falling behind the real big boys and no longer being a huge football power.

In the long run, FSU is screwed no matter how this particular situation gets resolved.

"Everybody" says, "Why would you leave the B1G or the SEC because of the big money they get?" The answer - "For even bigger money of a conference composed of just the football bluebloods."

If GoRs are killed by FSU's suit, the conference realignments of the past will be viewed as nothing when compared to the realignment that will take place. I can easily envision Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Oregon, Washington, USC, and UCLA leaving the B1G. Bama, Georgia, Florida, Auburn, Tennessee, Texas, Oklahoma, and LSU leaving the SEC. Throw in ND because this will become the "Real National Championship", as the CFP gets shoved aside, and you've got one hellUVa conference for ESPN and Fox to show.

These are just examples of the schools that could leave for a super conference. Please don't turn this post into a discussion of schedules, matchups, and things like that.
So many twitter and reddit non-lawyers who think FSU's case is airtight and the ACC is dead in the water. It's almost funny.

Will FSU capitulate?
I honestly don't know.

Cooler heads would capitulate and wait. If the ACC deal improves, stay with the softer conference. If the ACC deal does not improve, FSU -and all ACC schools - has a get out of jail free cars in 2036. If FSU saves a few bucks they may be able to buy their way out early. Right now, everything is moot as FSU has insufficient resources to do anything and they admit the withdrawal and minimum rights buy back is $572MM.

However, FSU's AD lives in LaLaLand so who knows.

This will settle because the conference can't operate with a rogue partner. And FSU can't operate being a partner in the ACC. Be funny if the ACC just let FSU go with some sort of a payout that works for both parties and they used that money to convince ND to join the ACC and then redid the contract to pay out higher with ND vs FSU.

A man can dream right?

I honestly don't know.

Cooler heads would capitulate and wait. If the ACC deal improves, stay with the softer conference. If the ACC deal does not improve, FSU -and all ACC schools - has a get out of jail free cars in 2036. If FSU saves a few bucks they may be able to buy their way out early. Right now, everything is moot as FSU has insufficient resources to do anything and they admit the withdrawal and minimum rights buy back is $572MM.

However, FSU's AD lives in LaLaLand so who knows.
I am hopeful that cooler heads will prevail - that FSU will figure out that staying in the ACC is the better option.

We shall see.

This will settle because the conference can't operate with a rogue partner. And FSU can't operate being a partner in the ACC. Be funny if the ACC just let FSU go with some sort of a payout that works for both parties and they used that money to convince ND to join the ACC and then redid the contract to pay out higher with ND vs FSU.

A man can dream right?

A conference also can't operate if all of its members know it will roll over and give up if any one member challenges it.

IMHO, the right play for the ACC is to go absolutely scorched earth on FSU - deprive them of the money needed RIGHT NOW and effectively kill the athletic department for the school if necessary. The ACC needs to show everyone else (member schools and other conferences) they are not to be messed with.

And if FSU's AD is a smoking crater at the end of it, how is that any worse for the ACC than if FSU was allowed to leave? (Best play for FSU would be trying to find some way the ACC can still "win" if FSU leaves and help facilitate that...but I don't think any realistic scenario for that exists).

"Everybody" says, "Why would you leave the B1G or the SEC because of the big money they get?" The answer - "For even bigger money of a conference composed of just the football bluebloods."

If GoRs are killed by FSU's suit, the conference realignments of the past will be viewed as nothing when compared to the realignment that will take place. I can easily envision Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Oregon, Washington, USC, and UCLA leaving the B1G. Bama, Georgia, Florida, Auburn, Tennessee, Texas, Oklahoma, and LSU leaving the SEC. Throw in ND because this will become the "Real National Championship", as the CFP gets shoved aside, and you've got one hellUVa conference for ESPN and Fox to show.

These are just examples of the schools that could leave for a super conference. Please don't turn this post into a discussion of schedules, matchups, and things like that.

Seems to me if they went that route they'd be limiting their market reach and thus not as valuable to advertisers. In this case smaller isn't better.

ACC should still remove FSU from leadership positions if the above occurs. Saying sorry sometimes isn't enough. We can't have them impairing future decisions that would be of an over all benefit to the conference.

The ACC asking to remove them from leadership positions and any conference decision making is the best part. This ask seems like a slam dunk to. They're being regulated to low man on the totem pole. Hilarious.

The ACC asking to remove them from leadership positions and any conference decision making is the best part. This ask seems like a slam dunk to. They're being regulated to low man on the totem pole. Hilarious.

They should have included that from this point forward the officials will treat them as a Syracuse team and call those games accordingly.

A man can dream right?
That can't work because the ACC needs to be together at least until the Big 12 media deal ends. Then everyone can do what they want.

That can't work because the ACC needs to be together at least until the Big 12 media deal ends. Then everyone can do what they want.
Exactly. The main thing for everybody, including the idiots running FSU, was to remain together until after the Big 12 has to make a deal without Texas and OU. The Big 12 with OU and Texas was overpaid based one the number of its TV viewers, and without them it will deserve much less than the ACC. Nobody will overpay a Big 12 that no longer has OU and Texas.

Exactly. The main thing for everybody, including the idiots running FSU, was to remain together until after the Big 12 has to make a deal without Texas and OU. The Big 12 with OU and Texas was overpaid based one the number of its TV viewers, and without them it will deserve much less than the ACC. Nobody will overpay a Big 12 that no longer has OU and Texas.
I would like the Big 12 as a nice landing spot for Syracuse if the ACC falls apart. I actually love it as a conference if it gets an eastern pod with Pitt, WVU, Syracuse, BC; but my ideal would be to pick off the best of the Big 12. There is zero value there. Utah, Arizona/ASU and Colorado couldn't command any money with UCLA, Oregona, USC and Washington.

There's no way those schools along with 30% market share in Oklahoma, maybe 20% in Texas (being generous), 5% in Ohio, West Virginia (a poor and dying state), the 4th most popular school in Florida, 40% of Iowa and the whole state of Kansas - there's no way that rabble will command any money.

Cal and Stanford are going to look very smart for hitching their ride to the ACC for now. But we need to all stay together for a few more years so the big boys can move off to their new homes and the rest of us have a soft landing and can at least control our conference to some extent.

Last edited:
Seems to me if they went that route they'd be limiting their market reach and thus not as valuable to advertisers. In this case smaller isn't better.
I'd like to think that would be the case, but I'm not sure it would fall as flat as many think it would. I do think more people would watch a Week 10 game between 9-0 Pitt vs. 8-1 Iowa over one featuring 2-7 Texas vs. 3-6 Alabama. A lot of folks would probably watch a game of the superconference if "their team" isn't playing in the 7 PM night game, as an example.

If NY is stupid enough to give the bills $600M then I can see DeSantis paying their buyout… simply because it would make zero sense.
Nah too many CFB fans that hate FSU down there.

Remember there is the #2 overall enrollment in the country UCF who probably carries more weight than FSU and then the flagship Gators.

I think the Big 12 and SEC will help out the ACC in terms of trying to keep the Big Ten out of the south as well. Its in neither of there interests for FSU to join the Big Ten.

Nah too many CFB fans that hate FSU down there.

Remember there is the #2 overall enrollment in the country UCF who probably carries more weight than FSU and then the flagship Gators.

Yep. The fact FSU has little political clout in Florida is part of why they are looking to leave the ACC. They need money and there’s no chance it’s coming from the state.

Yep. The fact FSU has little political clout in Florida is part of why they are looking to leave the ACC. They need money and there’s no chance it’s coming from the state.
If they can’t get $$’s from the state, then they are FUBAR’ed :). Done

I would like the Big 12 as a nice landing spot for Syracuse if the ACC falls apart. I actually love it as a conference if it gets an eastern pod with Pitt, WVU, Syracuse, BC; but my ideal would be to pick off the best of the Big 12. There is zero value there. Utah, Arizona/ASU and Colorado couldn't command any money with UCLA, Oregona, USC and Washington.

There's no way those schools along with 30% market share in Oklahoma, maybe 20% in Texas (being generous), 5% in Ohio, West Virginia (a poor and dying state), the 4th most popular school in Florida, 40% of Iowa and the whole state of Kansas - there's no way that rabble will command any money.

Cal and Stanford are going to look very smart for hitching their ride to the ACC for now. But we need to all stay together for a few more years so the big boys can move off to their new homes and the rest of us have a soft landing and can at least control our conference to some extent.

They could be joining us first.

If they can’t get $$’s from the state, then they are FUBAR’ed :). Done

That’s pretty much my take. I think FSU and Miami became powers partly because of the 1984 Supreme Court case which eliminated the NCAA monopoly on TV right. But neither school has ever had the natural resources to keep up with the big boys, and as time has gone on and the system further evolved, both of those schools are slowly being left behind.

I don’t think Miami cares; they’ve always had a faculty and administration that wasn’t 100% behind being a football power. But FSU for whatever reasons is desperate to remain a power. It’s not possible though - they are ultimately going to be left behind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom