FSU vs The ACC | Page 51 | Syracusefan.com

FSU vs The ACC

For their logic to make sense somebody has to be sweet talking them and to me it's either the Big 10 or some streaming service like Prime.
This^^^

We'll find out soon enough, but I'd bet dollars to donuts someone is whispering sweet nothings about getting out now.
Either that or they're simply being irrational, immature, illogical, and stupid...or both.

I have no idea what this is about...but I'm here for it! :cool:

IMG_7331.gif

If FSU wants to leave early, the terms are spelled out for them. They must pay the withdrawal fee (which they demanded) and buy back their TV rights, which are very valuable. Further, they must have ACC and ESPN approval. The approval is what the ACC will use as leverage to force the settlement price up. This is what makes the GOR so strong, it is a simple agreement, terms are clear, and it is intended to bind all parties for the duration of the agreement.

The GOR value goes down each year while the withdrawal fee hopefully increases each year.

FSU would be wise to save money and buy out early or simply wait out the GOR and leave, as did USC/UCLA. There has been enough discussion to prove FSU would lose money if they borrowed to withdraw and buy back their rights, unless the ACC capitulates in full, which is not happening.
It's funny, they want to leave because of money, and all that you mentioned would likely have to happen for them to leave, and then whichever conference takes them, could tell them they would get half a share for ten years and they would have to take it.

It's funny, they want to leave because of money, and all that you mentioned would likely have to happen for them to leave, and then whichever conference takes them, could tell them they would get half a share for ten years and they would have to take it.
Is Rutgers even getting a full share yet?

No, not until 2027. USC and UCLA will get full shares next year.

I get USC and UCLA as they bumped up the new TV contract. FSU will not achieve that since the current contract is through 2029. I think FSU is a good add long term for the B18 but not now. Why take on FSU to decrease total revenue per team and increase travel costs? It is also a pain to schedule an odd number of teams. Unless FSU takes a half share like Oregon and Washington. Then it makes sense for the B18, but it then makes little sense for FSU.

BTW if you are Oregon, Rutgers, Washington (Maryland too?) how can you vote for FSU to join at a full share when you are not getting one, you will make less money until 2030, and your costs go up?

Also will the B18 require FSU to upgrade the airport like they did with Penn State? If so that is another major cost on top of the ACC exit fee and TV rights buyback.

Looking at this logically it makes very little sense. And for FSU to do this all publicly makes things even worse.

I get USC and UCLA as they bumped up the new TV contract. FSU will not achieve that since the current contract is through 2029. I think FSU is a good add long term for the B18 but not now. Why take on FSU to decrease total revenue per team and increase travel costs? It is also a pain to schedule an odd number of teams. Unless FSU takes a half share like Oregon and Washington. Then it makes sense for the B18, but it then makes little sense for FSU.

BTW if you are Oregon, Rutgers, Washington (Maryland too?) how can you vote for FSU to join at a full share when you are not getting one, you will make less money until 2030, and your costs go up?

Also will the B18 require FSU to upgrade the airport like they did with Penn State? If so that is another major cost on top of the ACC exit fee and TV rights buyback.

Looking at this logically it makes very little sense. And for FSU to do this all publicly makes things even worse.
And Maryland would be the closest conference member for them to play.
Suddenly their travel would be a lot greater for all their teams.
What would their highly rated baseball team do?

For those interested here is a nice breakdown from a Cal fan/lawyer of the FSU lawsuit.

Click

Pretty much reiterates what we've all been saying. By any objective analysis , this move makes little sense for FSU.
Worst case scenario should've been finish the contract, while getting a CFP spot every season, and getting the additional payout. Imagine FSU winning a NC or 2 and THEN offering their services to the highest bidder in the P2- they could literally write their own ticket.
Until further notice, this was such a premature, dumb, temper tantrum move from them. Not w/out precedence by FSU, but stunning in it's stupidity.

With so much uncertainty with media rights and the potential of a Super League, what is their rush to leave? If they can get off cheap, then fine. But if they have to pay up, how can they justify leaving not knowing what conference or media payout that they will get in 10 years?

With so much uncertainty with media rights and the potential of a Super League, what is their rush to leave? If they can get off cheap, then fine. But if they have to pay up, how can they justify leaving not knowing what conference or media payout that they will get in 10 years?
If they're successful in their suit against the ACC and all GoRs are canned (since they're all pretty much the same), it further enables the formation of the superleague because no team is bound to a conference by a GoR and the superleague can pick and choose whichever teams it wants. FSU is willing to take their chances, something that's totally foolish IMO.

If they're successful in their suit against the ACC and all GoRs are canned (since they're all pretty much the same), it further enables the formation of the superleague because no team is bound to a conference by a GoR and the superleague can pick and choose whichever teams it wants. FSU is willing to take their chances, something that's totally foolish IMO.
FSU assumes that if freed of the ACC it would be a given to be chosen for a Super League of 24 or more. I'm not so certain. A Super League of 48 - definitely. But FSU is not certain to be desired by a Super League of 32, much less 24.

FSU people have a long history of being short sighted, especially when it comes to thinking about UF with more money and more other goodies.

Just an opinion:

I think the real powers that be know they cannot completely disassociate with everyone. They need bottom feeders to elevate the powers and almost powers. In a close system, there are only so many wins available. Half will win, half will lose each game.

By separating select schools they eliminate playing lesser divisions and they alienate the fanbases. Sure, I may watch a game here and there in the new super league, but I will not waste a full Saturday on teams I could not care about unless they played SU. People have lives to live, CFB, as enjoyable as it is, is not my life. Besides, does anyone care about Mississippi State v. Minnesota?

Anyway, if schools outright pay players, most colleges cannot join that super league. Further, the rivalries and traditions will become moot. Those are selling pints and have been largely watered down over the past three decades. Further erosion of tradition and rivalries drives fans away.

In the end, I thing the SEC and B1G want the FBS together sol long as they get the lion's share of the take.

FSU assumes that if freed of the ACC it would be a given to be chosen for a Super League of 24 or more. I'm not so certain. A Super League of 48 - definitely. But FSU is not certain to be desired by a Super League of 32, much less 24.
You're preaching to the choir, Reverend.

The list of teams with an inflated level of self-worth is quite long. When the Great Sorting Out comes, there will be quite a bunch of fans who will be shocked to learn their teams aren't as desirable as they thought they were.

Just an opinion:

I think the real powers that be know they cannot completely disassociate with everyone. They need bottom feeders to elevate the powers and almost powers. In a close system, there are only so many wins available. Half will win, half will lose each game.

By separating select schools they eliminate playing lesser divisions and they alienate the fanbases. Sure, I may watch a game here and there in the new super league, but I will not waste a full Saturday on teams I could not care about unless they played SU. People have lives to live, CFB, as enjoyable as it is, is not my life. Besides, does anyone care about Mississippi State v. Minnesota?

Anyway, if schools outright pay players, most colleges cannot join that super league. Further, the rivalries and traditions will become moot. Those are selling pints and have been largely watered down over the past three decades. Further erosion of tradition and rivalries drives fans away.

In the end, I thing the SEC and B1G want the FBS together sol long as they get the lion's share of the take.
I completely agree. However if the motivation is to maximize revenue, a Junior NFL using the Top 40 schools achieves that. Is it what is best for the sport? No. For the fans? Hello no. For the schools? Ultimately no. So IMO if they are chasing $ it might happen. If they are being logical about it, no way.

Although I do think a Super League with promotion/relegation could work. So a 20 team B1G and SEC with 10 teams each in SL and FBS. A 15 team ACC and B12 with 5 in SL and 10 in FBS. G5 has 5 champs in SL and rest in FBS. Then whomever is Champ year before gets extra bid to make a 36 team SL. The FBS P4 is all round Robin again.

You're preaching to the choir, Reverend.

The list of teams with an inflated level of self-worth is quite long. When the Great Sorting Out comes, there will be quite a bunch of fans who will be shocked to learn their teams aren't as desirable as they thought they were.
That includes some of us SU fans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom