FSU vs The ACC | Page 53 | Syracusefan.com

FSU vs The ACC

The issue here isn’t about if FSU can go but at what cost? FSU wants to be let go for $100MM or about which is Pennies on the Dollar. Pay up the 1/2+ billion and leave please. The real issue is that FSU has no $$ and is thus forced to use less than upstanding tactics to achieve its goal.

I will also add that no ACC team should ever play FSU in any sport ever again. Done, bridge burned.

Last edited:
Great.find, TM. The copyright aspect is one I did not consider, I am no copyright attorney. This makes everything this board has discussed that much more sound in its analysis.

FSU is now likely at "Nail, meet coffin".

My favorite part:

The Conspicuous Silence of Other ACC Members: A Calculated Caution

The conspicuous absence of any other ACC school joining FSU’s legal battle against the ACC is highly revealing. Despite rumors of pre-lawsuit discussions among several prominent members, including Miami, Clemson, UNC, NC State, Virginia, Virginia Tech, and FSU itself, not one has followed FSU into a courtroom. The reason likely stems from a comprehensive legal analysis conducted by every ACC institution, leading to a recognition of the ACC’s strong legal position and the risks inherent in FSU’s approach. Choosing pragmatism, the other ACC schools benefit from sitting back and watching FSU’s gamble, opting for stability over legal skirmishes.

The Premise is a fool's errand. The sarcasm was spot on. While I, and most everyone else on both sides of the matter, would love the issue to go away, simply cutting a deal invalidates all GORs, with are the cornerstones of the ridiculous TV deals. Once the GOR is broken, anyone can break them. The networks don't want to upset the apple cart. The conferences don't want to upset the apple cart. The only team that wants to upset the apple cart is FSU and only for a better payday.

Any deal that benefits FSU weakens the argument that GORs are strong and legitimate. FSU has no money, even their horribly low-ball attempt to get out last summer for $100MM was conditioned on FSU getting a better deal with the B1G or SEC, neither of which will get an increase for taking FSU until a new deal is negotiated years down the road. I say it was conditioned on FSU landing in one of the two because the payback was to be paid out of new TV revenues received by FSU, over time. Ten years was floated by FSU, if I recall. Since no other conference could have paid FSU more than the ACC than the two, FSU could only pay the ACC back if they made more money...because they cannot manage the money they have to begin with!

That said, if FSU can leave for $100MM, any other team may leave for $100MM. ESPN has rights and they will not leave their rights on the table for FSU's benefit.

Besides, the point stands, if FSU can leave in 2027 as many allege, it is simply much better financially to stay out and leave when they may without paying for a legal battle nor paying an exit fee, nor buying back their TV rights. Simply put, the Big 12 air-headed talking pieces pretending to have inside and/or technical knowledge that every school and every conference and every network has looked into but their respective legal teams cannot discover should probably not be taken too seriously.

My favorite part:

The Conspicuous Silence of Other ACC Members: A Calculated Caution

The conspicuous absence of any other ACC school joining FSU’s legal battle against the ACC is highly revealing. Despite rumors of pre-lawsuit discussions among several prominent members, including Miami, Clemson, UNC, NC State, Virginia, Virginia Tech, and FSU itself, not one has followed FSU into a courtroom. The reason likely stems from a comprehensive legal analysis conducted by every ACC institution, leading to a recognition of the ACC’s strong legal position and the risks inherent in FSU’s approach. Choosing pragmatism, the other ACC schools benefit from sitting back and watching FSU’s gamble, opting for stability over legal skirmishes.
Exactly! This has been discussed on this site. All of the prestigious law schools, the law experts at the networks and conferences and virtually every private firm that has the slightest idea of how to break the bonds has failed to figure it out. Silence is deafening.

Once again, this site is miles ahead of the rest of the sports world.

I'm for whatever does the most damage to FSU. I want them out and no other power 5 (4) to take them. How do we get there?
The most damage is to make them stay, accept their pay, less potential withdrawal and buyback of their rights (read: withhold everything), and release them once the ACC deal is up.

If we could get everyone to beat them in every sport, that would be damaging, too.

Last edited:
The most damage is to make them stay, accept their pay, less potential withdrawal and buyback of their rights (read: withhold everything), and release them once the ACC deal is up.

If we could get everyone to be at them in every sport, that would be damaging, too.
Exactly! This has been discussed on this site. All of the prestigious law schools, the law experts at the networks and conferences and virtually every private firm that has the slightest idea of how to break the bonds has failed to figure it out. Silence is deafening.

Once again, this site is miles ahead of the rest of the sports world.
Bingo. So so true.

I've heard from our AD on this matter -- it reinforces everything we've heard publicly. All of the schools, including FSU, poured over every detail of the GOR. If there's a loophole, they certainly didn't know about it then. If this contract is void, then a lot of other contracts can be voided, too. FSU attempted a hail mary and are hoping for something embarrassing in discovery or some other crazy outcome.

But again, the key part is, the FSU doesn't even have a home to go to.

FSU can leave for what the contract says they need to pay. The rest of the ACC ADs would be glad to play by the rule as they're written. But there's NO REASON for the acc to negotiate, especially not now. You negotiate when you don't think you have leverage. If the ACC GOR is ruined, so is everyone else and it's a free for all. A lot of schools in both the ACC and other conferences are screwed then too.

If the ACC's GoR is invalidated, than anyone's GoR can be invalidated. I may have posted this before.

Everyone says, "Why would any team leave the big money of the SEC or B1G? Answer - "For the even bigger money of a conference of only bluebloods." This puts Fox and ESPN into a dilemma. They'd love to have that conference, but where do they get the money to pay for it if they can't ditch the present contracts? Streaming anyone?

If the ACC's GoR is invalidated, than anyone's GoR can be invalidated. I may have posted this before.
JuSt MAybE oNCe oR TwICE...

It amazes me how people still believe the ACC GOR may be broken easily but their GOR is locked tight. GORs are essentially the same from conference to conference, especially in the legal sense (where specific terms of time and money have virtually no impact).

I was reading the Rutgers blog - I may be a glutton for punishment - and they believe that the ACC will fall apart, and selecting the teams they desire, fighting over which teams fit, bring fans, etc. completely missing the point that FSU still has no money, that private equity is not taking a chance on a state owned entity which has a fickle fan base, no market, and no reasonable expectation of doubling or tripling their investment.if FSU cannot get past this issue, everything else is moot, even a negotiated settlement because FSU has no money with which to negotiate.

The ACC may fall apart, but not likely to FSU breaking the GOR and leaving next year.

that private equity is not taking a chance on a state owned entity which has a fickle fan base, no market, and no reasonable expectation of doubling or tripling their investment.
Also, why would anyone get into bed with FSU? Can you trust them to abide by a contract and not try to use their state's court system and laws to nullify them? Of course people will sleep with FSU if the money is right, but I think they'd be dumb. But they're billionaires and I'm not.

Also, why would anyone get into bed with FSU? Can you trust them to abide by a contract and not try to use their state's court system and laws to nullify them? Of course people will sleep with FSU if the money is right, but I think they'd be dumb. But they're billionaires and I'm not.
Ding! Ding! Ding! Hold all those calls ladies and gentlemen we already have a winner.

Everyone says, "Why would any team leave the big money of the SEC or B1G? Answer - "For the even bigger money of a conference of only bluebloods." This puts Fox and ESPN into a dilemma. They'd love to have that conference, but where do they get the money to pay for it if they can't ditch the present contracts? Streaming anyone?

Somebody is whispering in FSU's ear Hoo. "You going to let the ACC tell you what to do and how much to make?".

Or... they are bat crap crazy and are doing this on their own but while option 2 seems possible, what's behind the curtain in the first scenario seems most likely.

Somebody is whispering in FSU's ear Hoo. "You going to let the ACC tell you what to do and how much to make?".

Or... they are bat crap crazy and are doing this on their own but while option 2 seems possible, what's behind the curtain in the first scenario seems most likely.
I think they are bat crap crazy. Never go full kook. Their fans thought they were out. How will they cope with another 10 years of ACC football?

I posted this previously. I believe this is rooted in appeasing their major boosters. Their AD is in large controlled by them and he may have taken the position he did out of fear for his own position. FSU has always had BS crazy fans. It's a backwards place that easily believes their own BS.
FSUs inherent inferiority complex was put into orbit when they were left out of the playoffs.
Bingo, let's Sue somebody and appease the idiots.

I posted this previously. I believe this is rooted in appeasing their major boosters. Their AD is in large controlled by them and he may have taken the position he did out of fear for his own position. FSU has always had BS crazy fans. It's a backwards place that easily believes their own BS.
FSUs inherent inferiority complex was put into orbit when they were left out of the playoffs.
That might work short term but won’t they be even angrier the next 10 years now? They could have taken the short term fire and next season all is well.

I posted this previously. I believe this is rooted in appeasing their major boosters. Their AD is in large controlled by them
that describes a majority of P4 schools. Why do you think JB was allowed to stick around and run the talent dry?

that describes a majority of P4 schools. Why do you think JB was allowed to stick around and run the talent dry?
Keeping a HOF coach a few years beyond his time is a tad different than what FSU is doing. Also do you think that if Weitz was an fsu booster he would still be involved?

I think they are bat crap crazy. Never go full kook. Their fans thought they were out. How will they cope with another 10 years of ACC football?

I've got to go with "They're bat-sht crazy." They've always had an inflated sense of self-worth. The only one who could be whispering in their ear is Fox because they have the B1G. ESPN has the SEC and ACC so they don't have anything to gain with a move and Bristol, CT, probably knows there's less than zero chance the SEC would take them.

Back when they were independent and had a really good season, the Florida powers-that-be were agitating to have them invited to the Orange Bowl. The Miami/Dade Chamber of Commerce and the Orange Bowl committee didn't want to invite them because their fans had the reputation of traveling with "a $10 bill and the Ten Commandments and would break neither."

Keeping a HOF coach a few years beyond his time is a tad different than what FSU is doing. Also do you think that if Weitz was an fsu booster he would still be involved?
Ignore it.

It's what he does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom