FSU vs The ACC | Page 64 | Syracusefan.com

FSU vs The ACC

I think they can easily go as high as 45K. The endzone project is expected to increase capacity but it sounded like only 1 or 2K

I expect we'll know more by September
From what I read, the Endzone Project has always been more about building locker rooms and amenities like that than adding seats.

Personally I think it’s time to take a step back from the imminent disaster scenarios until we get closer to the next generation of media contracts. FSU certainly would bolt if they financially could and had a landing spot. Former isn’t there and latter is questionable. Clemson is being smart IMHO and making sure they have a full understanding of their options if things do start to crumble. UNC story ready like there is evidence of some financial malfeasance on the part of a Bubba more due to extravagant spending during challenging times.

David Hale had some great points in a recent pod with Brent Axe. It wouldn’t make sense for FSU to pay $300MM plus only to see a super league emerge in five years and conference structure for football break down in favor of looser regional competition.

Worth a listen.
Brent’s pod is awesome. I laugh whenever people go out of their way to insult him on the forum. He provides good info from great sources. Its significantly improved my perception of Emily too

Thanks for the clarification, Sbucketball. This really clears up any misconceptions I might've had.

Note: Reading between the lines in the MCMurphy article, maybe FSU finally got the memo.

" Meanwhile, Florida State’s Board of Trustees previously said they wanted an exit plan from the ACC by August 2024. Florida State athletic director Michael Alford said this week “that’s a legal proceeding that I can’t cover.”
Alford was asked how long an exit from the league might take.

If you go back to the president, myself, we’ve never come out and said, ‘Hey, we want to leave the conference,’ ” Alford said. “We have not notified the league we are leaving.”

Actually, they have".

Reality is starting to hit and they realize the ACC is not gonna fold and just give them what they want. Arrogant prlcks!
You nailed it: Reality is sinking in.

FSU has to dance around ESPN and thus has placed all responsibility on the ACC hoping that ESPN will forgive and forget.

However, FSU is demanding that ESPN's property, a profitable property, must be sacrificed for FSU. FSU is not worth losing the entire ACC. If the ACC was losing money like the LHN did, sure, ESPN would be inclined to walk away or facilitate an exit. But the ACC is profitable, which means each school adds some value and FSU is not quite the value they think they are.

Further, no one has laid out a reasonable basis for ESPN dumping the ACC. Not just a surface basis, bit a business, strategical, purposeful, well thought-out basis for ESPN to walk away from the ACC

I don't have the link, but it appears that ESPN and the ACC are in a "look-in" period.

All combined, FSU's AD is not business savvy nor is he a forward thinker in any manner. He is just an ambulance chaser that makes a lot of money. He is in way over his head in a business in which he knows nothing. He lacks tact, clout, credibility, and wisdom.

Brent’s pod is awesome. I laugh whenever people go out of their way to insult him on the forum. He provides good info from great sources. Its significantly improved my perception of Emily too
Much better than his radio program was. Think he has found his lane.!

UNC runs the ACC...

Do you want to give that up?
Sorry I'm not following. Obviously any SU fan knows UNC runs the league. Not a question of us giving up anything. They will give up on us.

Much better than his radio program was. Think he has found his lane.!

He doesn't have to fill two hours with goofy stuff, (although he does discuss Himalayan salt for a moment here). He can pick his topics, his guests and go only as far as he needs to.

I could easily be wrong but, I think I read that now that they're in the ACC they'll look to expanding the seating capacity. 32K was fine while they were in the AAC, but they know they need to expand in the ACC.
SMU has had 12 sellouts in about 24 seasons (mostly against local school TCU) so I don't think they are in any hurry to increase capacity. It's a small private school (with rich alumni) that is a total afterthought in Texas football as they are probably the 8th or 9th football program in Texas. Last year, they went 11-3 and their largest crowd was 25.4k. And, it's not like they will have tons of visiting fans as SMU is about 800 miles from the closest ACC school.

He doesn't have to fill two hours with goofy stuff, (although he does discuss Himalayan salt for a moment here). He can pick his topics, his guests and go only as far as he needs to.
He also has much better access to information, which gives him some worthwhile talking points. It's hard to do a 2 hour sports talk show in the fall when the football coach talks about "owies" and closes practice after 3 minutes of reps vs. air.

He also has much better access to information, which gives him some worthwhile talking points. It's hard to do a 2 hour sports talk show in the fall when the football coach talks about "owies" and closes practice after 3 minutes of reps vs. air.
I can’t imagine how frustrating it was for the local sports reporters to cover a team that seemingly didn’t want to be covered, but the fans were dying for any shred of information. Glad those days are gone.

SMU has had 12 sellouts in about 24 seasons (mostly against local school TCU) so I don't think they are in any hurry to increase capacity. It's a small private school (with rich alumni) that is a total afterthought in Texas football as they are probably the 8th or 9th football program in Texas. Last year, they went 11-3 and their largest crowd was 25.4k. And, it's not like they will have tons of visiting fans as SMU is about 800 miles from the closest ACC school.

Yeah, but now they can just buy a team like the "Pony Express" in the '80"s. And this time they won't get the death penalty for it.

Sorry I'm not following. Obviously anywant SU fan knows UNC runs the league. Not a question of us giving up anything. They will give up on us.
Sorry mistyped

Meant to say, Do they (UNC) want to give that up?

You nailed it: Reality is sinking in.

FSU has to dance around ESPN and thus has placed all responsibility on the ACC hoping that ESPN will forgive and forget.

However, FSU is demanding that ESPN's property, a profitable property, must be sacrificed for FSU. FSU is not worth losing the entire ACC. If the ACC was losing money like the LHN did, sure, ESPN would be inclined to walk away or facilitate an exit. But the ACC is profitable, which means each school adds some value and FSU is not quite the value they think they are.

Further, no one has laid out a reasonable basis for ESPN dumping the ACC. Not just a surface basis, bit a business, strategical, purposeful, well thought-out basis for ESPN to walk away from the ACC

I don't have the link, but it appears that ESPN and the ACC are in a "look-in" period.

All combined, FSU's AD is not business savvy nor is he a forward thinker in any manner. He is just an ambulance chaser that makes a lot of money. He is in way over his head in a business in which he knows nothing. He lacks tact, clout, credibility, and wisdom.
He's the boosters bitch

My view is that Jim Phillips should be doing everything in his power and more to bring Notre Dame into the fold for football. Give them whatever they want, keep the conference together and eventually negotiate a somewhat comparable TV deal. Pipe dream but on paper it would make a new tv deal much more competitive

The quality of the visiting teams is about to improve over what the faced in the AAC. UVa has a bunch of Alums in Texas. I would imagine UNC and Duke do as well. They don't have an 800 mile trip one way. I regularly make fun of posters on our board whose primary consideration for who we should play OOC is whether they can drive to the away game.

The quality of the visiting teams is about to improve over what the faced in the AAC. UVa has a bunch of Alums in Texas. I would imagine UNC and Duke do as well. They don't have an 800 mile trip one way. I regularly make fun of posters on our board whose primary consideration for who we should play OOC is whether they can drive to the away game.
Yup, and Dallas-FW is a major hub, maybe the best city in Texas. It's the equivalent of getting a NYC type area in the ACC.

Combined with his compulsion to stand behind some very vocal and ignorant callers in being hypercritical of SU.

Maybe the SEC but the B18 I think is interested in adding the South to its footprint. That means more than just UNC.

And then there is Notre Dame. The SEC is still kind of a Southeastern footprint. Would they expand that footprint in order to get Notre Dame? You know ESPN would be for this. That puts the Northeast and California in play for the SEC. So are they wiling to become a national conference? Especially if the B18 is going national.
I'd have no problem SU being the the SEC's football sacrifice.

Yup, and Dallas-FW is a major hub, maybe the best city in Texas. It's the equivalent of getting a NYC type area in the ACC.
Best city in Tejas?

That depends, to me San Antonio is the most livable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom