Funderburk update | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Funderburk update

Having the grades to remain eligible at Arkansas doesnt necessarily mean he has a cakewalk for SU admissions. SU requires a certain grade point average for transfers along with the appropriate amount of credits. Now I am sure for athletic transfers the GPA is overlooked a bit but you still have to meet the credit requirements and overall grades for the SU admission process, its not a lock.

The eligibility is dictated by the NCAA not the school. If he's eligible by NCAA standards I don't think SU admissions would be a problem.

The eligibility is dictated by the NCAA not the school. If he's eligible by NCAA standards I don't think SU admissions would be a problem.

NCAA eligibilty and admissons into a school are two totally different things, there are hundreds of football players who are eligible to play by NCAA standards that cant get into certain schools due to the admissions process, happens to schools like Stanford, ND, Vandy all the time.

Not shooting the messenger or predicting that Funderburke won't show, but I can't be the only person who ranks former high school coaches at just about the bottom of the credibility scale, can I?

How many players can SU take this year? These transfers are great but I don't think we can take them all this year.

NCAA eligibilty and admissons into a school are two totally different things, there are hundreds of football players who are eligible to play by NCAA standards that cant get into certain schools due to the admissions process, happens to schools like Stanford, ND, Vandy all the time.
Exhibit A: Shu Mungwa

I hate to say it, but if we want to win we need to be able to get kids that want to play at Syracuse. And if they are eligible to play by the NCAA's standards, and want to play at Syracuse, and can be an impact player... there absolutely should be no reason that you can't be accepted.

Stanford, ND, Vandy... They all take kids who are WELL below their admissions standards. Even Ivy League schools do this. Syracuse must do this as well to maintain an level playing field.

I hate to say it, but if we want to win we need to be able to get kids that want to play at Syracuse. And if they are eligible to play by the NCAA's standards, and want to play at Syracuse, and can be an impact player... there absolutely should be no reason that you can't be accepted.

Stanford, ND, Vandy... They all take kids who are WELL below their admissions standards. Even Ivy League schools do this. Syracuse must do this as well to maintain an level playing field.

Sorry thats not going to happen, SU's admissions standards arent overally tough to begin with, you dont want to become Arizona State.

How many players can SU take this year? These transfers are great but I don't think we can take them all this year.

We are at 80 scholarships if everyone shows on Saturday.

Funderburk + Raymon + Clark + Walls = 84.

I consider him the most important recruit for one reason. After Sales and Alec we dont have one proven WR. Based on what we have seen to date we have some kids that have potential but there isnt one kid who jumps out and says "im the next big threat" West, Kobena, Flemming, Corn, Foster, Hale all big solid guys which i like but none of them are proven. West has been injury prone from day one. Foster is out for the entire year and who knows how he will come back. Hale Kobena and Corn are all kids with potential but i doubt they are going to keep ACC DC's from stuffing 8 in the box. Our deep threat is a kid who three years ago was a bag boy. So yes if the Funder actually strikes lightning and lands on the Hill i would say he is pretty significant.

Our top two guys this year should be Sales / Lemon, both of whom will be graduating. So landing a kid like Funderburk would be a huge shot in the arm for this positional unit--no question.

I slightly disagree with your characterization of the rest of the supporting cast. Yes, they are unproven. But--my opinion only--we are going to see Kobena, West, and Hale contribute this year, and my expectation is that these three will demonstrate that they can be solid players at this level. To say nothing of Cornelius [no idea if he'll play or redshirt].

Solid nucleus, especially if Funderburk is mixed in. WR is a big question mark this year, but it could be a position of strength going into next year, amazingly even after losing Sales / Lemon.

That's not true. We've had plenty of athletes in this situation over the years.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Our top two guys this year should be Sales / Lemon, both of whom will be graduating. So landing a kid like Funderburk would be a huge shot in the arm for this positional unit--no question.

I slightly disagree with your characterization of the rest of the supporting cast. Yes, they are unproven. But--my opinion only--we are going to see Kobena, West, and Hale contribute this year, and my expectation is that these three will demonstrate that they can be solid players at this level. To say nothing of Cornelius [no idea if he'll play or redshirt].

Solid nucleus, especially if Funderburk is mixed in. WR is a big question mark this year, but it could be a position of strength going into next year, amazingly even after losing Sales / Lemon.
I predict that once Ben Lewis hits campus, there will be much less concern about losing Sales and Lemon next year. Kid's gonna be a star.

But would love to see Funderburk on the opposite side of the field.

cornell has issues every year with kids who cant get past admissions at CU but end up getting into princeton/harvard.

More than likely he sits out 2012.

When this news first came out back in the spring (?) there was talk of appealing to play right away based on the circumstances, I guess if it could be proven as a hardship based on the Petrino situation.

I have no idea the precedent, or what will even happen, but I'm curious, I read a tweet the other day (was probably linked here too, I haven't been keeping up) that the NCAA is allowing a former 5 star USC WR who transferred to NW to play right away in 2012. What was the deal with his situation?

I predict that once Ben Lewis hits campus, there will be much less concern about losing Sales and Lemon next year. Kid's gonna be a star.

But would love to see Funderburk on the opposite side of the field.

Hey--any particular reason? No offense to Lewis, but he was one of the least heralded recruits [not putting him down in any way]. I figured that he might end up as a big, physical safety down the road.

Good to hear that he might eventually make a splash at WR [a big position of need].

thats Kyle Prater. I am also curious on how he was able to get cleared. He participated in spring ball.

He's got velcro hands and is tough as nails. The buzz around him is that he has a knack for making plays ala Wayne Chrebet. Great blocker downfield. Very much in the mold of Lemon. Also sounds like a Marrone kind of guy (ie leader off the field).

I should caveat this by saying that I have no inside knowledge. Just what I've seen on film and read about him online.

Also have Cornelius coming in with him, so if Lewis ends up elsewhere on the field, the cupboard isn't bare.

EDIT: I was responding to RF's question about Ben Lewis.

More than likely he sits out 2012.

Yeah, the NCAA doesn't exactly shower players with transfer waivers these days. Plus, the blog piece says that funderburk is not enrolled, whereas the other transfer on campus, Raymon, is. So funderburk has to have adademic eligibilty cleared before we worry about whether he can play this year or next.

When this news first came out back in the spring (?) there was talk of appealing to play right away based on the circumstances, I guess if it could be proven as a hardship based on the Petrino situation.

I have no idea the precedent, or what will even happen, but I'm curious, I read a tweet the other day (was probably linked here too, I haven't been keeping up) that the NCAA is allowing a former 5 star USC WR who transferred to NW to play right away in 2012. What was the deal with his situation?

Prater was forced to redshirt at USC in 2011 due to injury.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...kyle-prater-eligible-to-play-for-northwestern

Funderburk sat out as a coaches decision (non-injury).

I can see where the NCAA wouldn't want a "student-athlete" to miss two seasons in a row. Even Dash Riley was able to transfer to EMU and play right away since he missed the previous season at SU with the foot injury.

Hey--any particular reason? No offense to Lewis, but he was one of the least heralded recruits [not putting him down in any way]. I figured that he might end up as a big, physical safety down the road.

Good to hear that he might eventually make a splash at WR [a big position of need].

Lewis reminds me a lot of former Syracuse legendary WR Tim Lane.

Unheralded recruit that was hyped beyond comprehension on this forum.

If Lewis has a comparable career to Lane, we're in for a treat!

Prater was forced to redshirt at USC in 2011 due to injury.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...kyle-prater-eligible-to-play-for-northwestern

Funderburk sat out as a coaches decision (non-injury).

I can see where the NCAA wouldn't want a "student-athlete" to miss two seasons in a row. Even Dash Riley was able to transfer to EMU and play right away since he missed the previous season at SU with the foot injury.

That story doesn't exactly paint a hardship situation. Minor injuries and then buried on the depth chart because of it? Welcome to college football.

Weird Fitzgerald quote too, he worked really hard, glad to see he is rewarded for it. I'm sure many guys have worked just as hard and not received that particular "reward".

So, to summarize, I'll be expecting Funderburke in uniform and in the rotation on 9/1.

That story doesn't exactly paint a hardship situation. Minor injuries and then buried on the depth chart because of it? Welcome to college football.

Weird Fitzgerald quote too, he worked really hard, glad to see he is rewarded for it. I'm sure many guys have worked just as hard and not received that particular "reward".

So, to summarize, I'll be expecting Funderburke in uniform and in the rotation on 9/1.

I read it wrong. Prater sat out 2010 with the injury, then spent 2011 on the bench.

Based on that, Funderburk should get his waiver approved also.

But who knows. ;)

i have a good feeling about lewis, palmer and ford. Those are three kids who were not recruited heavily, 2 stars. They will be 2 or 3 year starters. I think palmer can be on the field by next year

Lewis reminds me a lot of former Syracuse legendary WR Tim Lane.

Unheralded recruit that was hyped beyond comprehension on this forum.

If Lewis has a comparable career to Lane, we're in for a treat!

Impossible to say, given that he hasn't played one practice snap as yet. Here's hoping that his career ends up more like Jeff Lowe than Tim Lane.