Funderburk update | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Funderburk update

Impossible to say, given that he hasn't played one practice snap as yet. Here's hoping that his career ends up more like Jeff Lowe than Tim Lane.

People would probably be more excited about Lewis if his name were Jaquez Lewis or Daquan Lewis. Myself included.

Hey--any particular reason? No offense to Lewis, but he was one of the least heralded recruits [not putting him down in any way]. I figured that he might end up as a big, physical safety down the road.

Good to hear that he might eventually make a splash at WR [a big position of need].

Lewis was offered a ship on the spot at our Wagner camp I believe . The reason? Unstoppable. Tore it up, big strong kid, caught everything. Ron Moore offered him.

NCAA eligibilty and admissons into a school are two totally different things, there are hundreds of football players who are eligible to play by NCAA standards that cant get into certain schools due to the admissions process, happens to schools like Stanford, ND, Vandy all the time.

Syracuse ain't those schools bro

Lewis was offered a ship on the spot at our Wagner camp I believe . The reason? Unstoppable. Tore it up, big strong kid, caught everything. Ron Moore offered him.

How did Rob Moore feel about him? :cool: Hey if Coach Moore is behind the kid, that's good enough for me.

That's not true. We've had plenty of athletes in this situation over the years.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Not really, it's always clearinghouse issues.

Su has certainly had kids that could not get thru admissions.

Rare, and doubtful, for an assistant to make that decision. Im sure it had to run through Marrone somehow.

How did Rob Moore feel about him? :cool: Hey if Coach Moore is behind the kid, that's good enough for me.

Ron Moore did play for the Cards too, maybe he's Rob Moore's recruiting assistant!

really surprised no one has really challenged the transfer must sit out one year rule when the NCAA has so many arbitrary reasons for letting kids play without sitting. if a kid has sat out a year why punish him again.

I don't think a kid should have to sit out if he is in good academic standing and on schedule to graduate. I understand that the NCAA (and the coaches) don't want an annual game of musical chairs, but scholarships are year-to-year anyway. How can you tell a kid, you can't transfer without sitting out a year, but we can cancel your scholarship at any time? Conferences ought to be able to have their own rules about transferring between two schools within the same conference -- of sitting out up to one year.

If the schools and the NCAA insist on a rule that forces a kid to sit out a year, then scholarships ought to be good for 4-5 years.

Sorry thats not going to happen, SU's admissions standards arent overally tough to begin with, you dont want to become Arizona State.

NUTS...YOUR... I WOULD LOVE TO BECOME JUST LIKE ASU...GIRLS

No its not. See half the players that went to Rutgers when Grob was hired they couldnt get into SU.

No its not. See half the players that went to Rutgers when Grob was hired they couldnt get into SU.

That kid from canada tried to get into SU twice. P's last and Grobs first. Failed to both times so went to rutgers.

Madrone got a certain number of freebies for admission. Part of his deal to take the job.

Rare, and doubtful, for an assistant to make that decision. Im sure it had to run through Marrone somehow.

I'm sure Moore probably discussed it with Marrone but regardless, Moore offered him the scholarship at the camp.

"Lewis, a 6-foot-3 190-pound receiver/linebacker who will be a senior for the Knights this fall, received an offer from Syracuse after attending a one-day camp at the school on Friday, said Kevin Lynott, head football coach at Middletown."

http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sections/sports/display.htm?StoryID=123272

"After receiving a scholarship offer from Syracuse University wide receivers coach Rob Moore at an Orange football camp late Friday afternoon, Lewis and his parents hopped into the car and headed back towards Middletown, Md.
But soon after they headed down I-81, Lewis called SU coaches to say he wanted to wear Orange in 2012."
http://blog.syracuse.com/orangefootball/2011/07/wide_receiver_from_maryland_ch.html

"GZ: How did Syracuse come onto your radar?
BL: Syracuse invited me to a one-day camp up there. My uncle [Bill Lewis] who actually played in the pros, knows the wide receivers coach [Rob Moore] up there. He called him before I went up and let me introduce myself before camp. I went up there, performed well and they really like me. I met with Coach Moore in D.C. and they wanted me to come up for a visit. I did, and they offered me the scholarship."

http://www.gazette.net/article/20110721/SPORTS/707219895/1012/middletown-senior-agrees-to-play-football-at-syracuse&template=gazette

Back to my original question I just wondered where the 'grade' rumors or speculation was coming from.

I'm sure Moore probably discussed it with Marrone but regardless, Moore offered him the scholarship at the camp.

"Lewis, a 6-foot-3 190-pound receiver/linebacker who will be a senior for the Knights this fall, received an offer from Syracuse after attending a one-day camp at the school on Friday, said Kevin Lynott, head football coach at Middletown."

http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sections/sports/display.htm?StoryID=123272

"After receiving a scholarship offer from Syracuse University wide receivers coach Rob Moore at an Orange football camp late Friday afternoon, Lewis and his parents hopped into the car and headed back towards Middletown, Md.
But soon after they headed down I-81, Lewis called SU coaches to say he wanted to wear Orange in 2012."
http://blog.syracuse.com/orangefootball/2011/07/wide_receiver_from_maryland_ch.html

"GZ: How did Syracuse come onto your radar?
BL: Syracuse invited me to a one-day camp up there. My uncle [Bill Lewis] who actually played in the pros, knows the wide receivers coach [Rob Moore] up there. He called him before I went up and let me introduce myself before camp. I went up there, performed well and they really like me. I met with Coach Moore in D.C. and they wanted me to come up for a visit. I did, and they offered me the scholarship."

http://www.gazette.net/article/20110721/SPORTS/707219895/1012/middletown-senior-agrees-to-play-football-at-syracuse&template=gazette

I have no doubt Moore actually made the offer to him. My point was that an assistant isn't a lone ranger when who to offer decdisions are made.