Funderburk update | Syracusefan.com

Funderburk update

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
http://blog.syracuse.com/orangefoot...ol_coach_wide_receive.html#incart_more_sports

Syracuse, NY – Former Arkansas wide receiver Quinta Funderburk apparently will transfer to Syracuse University and is ready to become a member of the Orange football team, his high school coach said.

“He’s going to be attending Syracuse. He’s up there now. I think they start Monday,” Richard Morgan, Funderburk’s coach at Oscar Smith High School in Chesapeake, Va., said this morning.

Unbelievable news.

VERY big for the program, given that Lemon / Sales, our top two WRs, both graduate this year.

Coming back next year with Kobena / West / Hale / Funderburk makes me feel a helluva lot more comfortable about the WR unit next season.

http://blog.syracuse.com/orangefoot...ol_coach_wide_receive.html#incart_more_sports

Syracuse, NY – Former Arkansas wide receiver Quinta Funderburk apparently will transfer to Syracuse University and is ready to become a member of the Orange football team, his high school coach said.

“He’s going to be attending Syracuse. He’s up there now. I think they start Monday,” Richard Morgan, Funderburk’s coach at Oscar Smith High School in Chesapeake, Va., said this morning.

I know they want to get out there with news, but no confirmation from the player, let alone the school. I'd hold off on celebration until this is triple sourced confirmed.

This might explain why we were not recruiting any PSU wide receivers.

I believe that he becomes the single most important recruit of Dougs time on the Hill. He is a game changer in a position of huge need. With the stable of RB's that Doug has put together and Hunt Loeb and the two young gun slingers coming on board things are looking up in a big way. I sure hope that this is legit

I believe that he becomes the single most important recruit of Dougs time on the Hill. He is a game changer in a position of huge need. With the stable of RB's that Doug has put together and Hunt Loeb and the two young gun slingers coming on board things are looking up in a big way. I sure hope that this is legit

It remains to be seen whether he's a game changer or not. But no question he would bolster what would head into next season as a position with a lot of question marks.

Agree with the sentiment from posts above about believing it when it is confirmed, but regardless the information from this article [he's already in Syracuse, he's starting Monday, the coach stating he's definitively transferring to SU, etc.] is every encouraging. Until seeing that article, I'd pretty much written off expecting to see him don Orange.

There must have been a big change in the last few weeks as he was considered a long shot to get accepted in (grades/transcript issue), a huge break for SU if this is ultimately true.

Lets not get crazy, when at his best he can be a very good WR, probably the best since Mike Williams but hes not Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald in there college days.

Lets not get crazy, when at his best he can be a very good WR, probably the best since Mike Williams but hes not Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald in there college days.

I will take "best since Mike Williams". While I'm not calling him the most important recruit of Marrone's time, Funderburk would be a big get.

I consider him the most important recruit for one reason. After Sales and Alec we dont have one proven WR. Based on what we have seen to date we have some kids that have potential but there isnt one kid who jumps out and says "im the next big threat" West, Kobena, Flemming, Corn, Foster, Hale all big solid guys which i like but none of them are proven. West has been injury prone from day one. Foster is out for the entire year and who knows how he will come back. Hale Kobena and Corn are all kids with potential but i doubt they are going to keep ACC DC's from stuffing 8 in the box. Our deep threat is a kid who three years ago was a bag boy. So yes if the Funder actually strikes lightning and lands on the Hill i would say he is pretty significant.

I would love to see him in the role of Kyle Prater in practice for our defense during these next few weeks. Both guys have similar measurables, similar skills and similar ratings coming out of HS. If he can help the D prepare for this guy on 9/1, then that would be a huge boost.

Then he can focus on duplicating Robert Woods in practice. Haha.

I consider him the most important recruit for one reason. After Sales and Alec we dont have one proven WR. Based on what we have seen to date we have some kids that have potential but there isnt one kid who jumps out and says "im the next big threat" West, Kobena, Flemming, Corn, Foster, Hale all big solid guys which i like but none of them are proven. West has been injury prone from day one. Foster is out for the entire year and who knows how he will come back. Hale Kobena and Corn are all kids with potential but i doubt they are going to keep ACC DC's from stuffing 8 in the box. Our deep threat is a kid who three years ago was a bag boy. So yes if the Funder actually strikes lightning and lands on the Hill i would say he is pretty significant.

Is Funderburk proven? Pretty sure he hasn't done ANYTHING yet. He could be the next Lavar Lobdell for all you know. Remember when he was GROBS "biggest" recruit?

I agree with you about the WR position, hell I have been saying the exact same thign and I still have big concerns about the position next year. That being said lets not get to hyped up here theres no guarantee what we will get out of him, he could be great like Alec Lemon or he could be Lavar Lobdell lets have it play out.

So at this point, are we assuming that Funderburk is a very talented, athletic kid who simply lost his enthusiasm for football? If so, how does SU re-inject his zeal for the game?

There must have been a big change in the last few weeks as he was considered a long shot to get accepted in (grades/transcript issue), a huge break for SU if this is ultimately true.

Just curious where those rumors came from. I'd have to imagine if he were still eligible to play at Arkansas he'd be accepted at Syracuse. There were never any reports of grade issues at Arkansas.

So at this point, are we assuming that Funderburk is a very talented, athletic kid who simply lost his enthusiasm for football? If so, how does SU re-inject his zeal for the game?

He only lost his enthusiasm to play football at Arkansas. From what I read/heard he wanted out as soon as he got there (culture shock) but people kept telling him to stick it out etc etc. He went back competed this spring and decided to leave.

Just curious where those rumors came from. I'd have to imagine if he were still eligible to play at Arkansas he'd be accepted at Syracuse. There were never any reports of grade issues at Arkansas.

Having the grades to remain eligible at Arkansas doesnt necessarily mean he has a cakewalk for SU admissions. SU requires a certain grade point average for transfers along with the appropriate amount of credits. Now I am sure for athletic transfers the GPA is overlooked a bit but you still have to meet the credit requirements and overall grades for the SU admission process, its not a lock.