Funderburke | Syracusefan.com

Funderburke

HerkimerSU

Walk On
I was at the game and he consistently beat his man by 3 steps. Don't want to beat a dead horse on this one as I usually don't post and guess this is more of a vent because I am reeling from the result of the game and season. I know us the fans will never know the whole story, and the only routes he was running were go routes. But why send Eskridge a safety with questionable hands on that same pattern? What kind of message does that send to Funderburke a WR with the same physical make up. I doubt Eskridge was blocking well in practice in order to get more reps on the field?

Also, why was Kyle Knapp our future at LT not in the game when Hickey went down?

I was at the game and he consistently beat his man by 3 steps. Don't want to beat a dead horse on this one as I usually don't post and guess this is more of a vent because I am reeling from the result of the game and season. I know us the fans will never know the whole story, and the only routes he was running were go routes. But why send Eskridge a safety with questionable hands on that same pattern? What kind of message does that send to Funderburke a WR with the same physical make up. I doubt Eskridge was blocking well in practice in order to get more reps on the field?

Also, why was Kyle Knapp our future at LT not in the game when Hickey went down?
Two very good questions.

Lasker is better that's why he played.

Speaking of Funderburke, did he nearly have a TD catch on the play when Pitt got called for the 15 yd hands to the face penalty?
The camera never followed the ball as it looked like Hunt was just throwing the ball away to the deep corner near the end zone, but then there was a crowd reaction and the announcers mentioned that Funderburke almost had it but dropped the ball. None of this was on camera and they never showed a replay, probably because of the penalty.
Was just wondering if we missed another opportunity to take the lead in the game there.

If I remember correctly, the ball thrown to Funderburke was close to being out of bounds and I'm not sure even if he caught it it would have been in but I didn't have a good angle at it. I asked Shafer to sit the hell down so I could see but he didn't listen to me.

Funderburke had a lot of great blocks where he drove his guy back 7 yards, but there's obviously something going on that we don't know about. The only time he was on the field was for runs.

Funderburke had a lot of great blocks where he drove his guy back 7 yards, but there's obviously something going on that we don't know about. The only time he was on the field was for runs.

I saw Clark get blown up like a 10 year old kid trying to block. You ain't kidding, something is going on here either in practice or school.

I saw Clark get blown up like a 10 year old kid trying to block. You ain't kidding, something is going on here either in practice or school.

The staff is sandbagging because they want to catch everyone in the ACC by surprise next year and knew FSU couldn't be beaten this year.

I have to respectfully disagree. Lasker got beat badly all day yesterday. I had Lou Alexander flashbacks watching him
Didn't he also have 2 penalties called against him? Pretty sure #67 was flagged twice

The staff is sandbagging because they want to catch everyone in the ACC by surprise next year and knew FSU couldn't be beaten this year.

Or just waiting for the bowl game to unleash the Funderdome!

I couldn't tell if funderburke was in bounds or not - it looked like the back corner of the endzone - either way he dropped an over the shoulder ball.

I thought the idea with the eskridge play (btw he was moving at the snap and nearly got flagged for false start), was to lob it up and just try a jump ball with him, but hunt didnt put any air under the balls heading into the endzone, except the funderburke one

Lost of Hickey was huge. Lasker was overmatched and is does not move well at all.

Lasker is better that's why he played.

if that's the case we are in big trouble because Lasker whiffed making first contact with the defender repeatedly. He had a few good moments, but the bad moments (including the 2 holds) far outweighed the good. I would love to know why Knapp didn't get the nod?

As for Funderburke I have said all along it isn't a talent issue. There is a lot more to this story. Being academically ineligible last semester didn't help his case, but there is also some Ashton Broyld syndrome, with some Marcus Salesitis mixed in.

Funderburke got run yesterday and had one target and it went right through his hands. It was right in the bread basket and was 6 if he caught it. Guy is a physical beast but like many others failed to step up and make a play when needed. That was par for the course for many of our guys yesterday so he's not alone.

Didn't he also have 2 penalties called against him? Pretty sure #67 was flagged twice

He had two holding calls and I think a third was declined by Pitt.

I couldn't tell if funderburke was in bounds or not - it looked like the back corner of the endzone - either way he dropped an over the shoulder ball.

I thought the idea with the eskridge play (btw he was moving at the snap and nearly got flagged for false start), was to lob it up and just try a jump ball with him, but hunt didnt put any air under the balls heading into the endzone, except the funderburke one
As to the amount of air Hunt put under his end zone passes--he put 3 of them (not counting the Funderburke pass) in the hands of the receivers. Unfortunately, only one was caught.

longtimefan said:
As to the amount of air Hunt put under his end zone passes--he put 3 of them (not counting the Funderburke pass) in the hands of the receivers. Unfortunately, only one was caught.
Great passes but none are easy catches. Too many people calling them drops. Drops are passes in the bread basket that hit the hands and are dropped. Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Last edited:
Hunt throws a flat deep ball. Any WR will tell you that a flat ball especially a deep ball is difficult to catch. Think of catching a line drive off the bat vs a pop up. I think that with time Hunt may end up being a good deep thrower as this is something he can work on

Donald made everyone on the oline look stupid. He chewed up and spit out Trudo, Robinson, Mackey and Foy all day long. No matter where he lined up nobody could handle him. Lasker is not totally to blame here. He was no worse than anyone else.

Last edited:
Donald made everyone on the oline look stupid. He chewed up and spit out Trudo, Robinson, Mackey and Foy all day long. No matter where he lined up nobody could handle him. Lasker is not totally to blame here. He was no worse than anyone else.
i think someone gave donald decaf columbian coffee crystals

i don't think i've ever seen anyone hulk out quite like that, he was like a bear

Great passes but none are easy catches. Too many people calling them drops. Drops are passes in the bread basket that hit the hands and are dropped. Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
Agree with this completely. They would have been really, really good catches if those guys had come down with them.

The more troubling thing than why they didn't come down with them was why we had to use a RB and a safety to try to throw deep. They did a better job of getting open and almost bringing in those passes than our WRs have been doing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom