Future Campus Framework Presentation... | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Presentation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
you can rule out a game at cornell. . they just tore down the west stands capacity is probably under 20K now.

This is what I have heard as well.
So that presumably means the student housing at Skytop is going to be phased out.

That leaves what on South Campus? Athletic facilities and lots of empty space.

Meanwhile, North Campus needs to be expanded considerably. New dorms, maybe new medical center.

Seems inconsistent to leave one major facility for SU athletic teams on North Campus, where space is a problem.

Last edited:
So that presumably means the student housing at Skytop is going to be phased out.

Meanwhile, North Campus needs to be expanded considerably. New dorms, maybe new medical center.

Seems inconsistent to leave one major facility for SU athletic teams on North Campus, where space is a problem.

Where is all this land coming from to build new on North Campus?!?

There isn't many parking lots left.

A couple 20 story buildings somewhere?

I don't remember the exact numbers, but there are something like 1,400 beds on South. Not very many. SU's got more than enough space north of Waverly and west of the Dome to build four apartment buildings that would replace each lost unit.

In the framework plan I saw, South Campus would be solely for athletics in a sense. I would imagine they would leave the housing for the athletes in place, but the 1960s era bunker apartments, will be gone. I concur with OttoMets that the bed issue is smaller than you'd think, and the university does want to update dorms on north campus anyway, perhaps covering those losses by itself. Flint and Day will get a makeover for sure. BB as well I would imagine. I didn't hear what they will do with the empty space on South though. Research space maybe?

Last edited:
jr4750 said:
In the framework plan I saw, South Campus would be solely for athletics in a sense. I would imagine they would leave the housing for the athletes in place, but the 1960s era bunker apartments, will be gone. I concur with OttoMets that the bed issue is smaller than you'd think, and the university does want to update dorms on north campus anyway, perhaps covering those losses by itself. Flint and Day will get a makeover for sure. BB as well I would imagine. I didn't hear what they will do with the empty space on South though. Research space maybe?

Don't be completely shocked if the Sheraton eventually becomes completely a dorm.

Don't be completely shocked if the Sheraton eventually becomes completely a dorm.
Yes, I heard that too. Mentioned it earlier and was told I was way off, that the university just put a bunch of money into it. Any idea how many rooms the Sheraton has? I know some students live there already.

Yes, I heard that too. Mentioned it earlier and was told I was way off, that the university just put a bunch of money into it. Any idea how many rooms the Sheraton has? I know some students live there already.
I think they would demolish it and start over, but I have heard that site is eyed for the purpose of becoming a dorm. They don't like the way buildings address Waverly and the Sheraton with its parking garage is one of the major culprits.

jr4750 said:

Don't know how many. I know one floor is student housing now. The 3rd or 5th, can't remember which.

Yup...if the Dome reno includes a hotel...that would make sense.
Would be sweet if they had some rooms/restaurants overlooking the field like the Rogers Centre.
view-with-stadium-roof.jpg
Rogers11BIG.JPG

I stayed in one of those rooms for a KISS concert in 1996. Pretty sweet.

Nothing in here about the Dome really, except that they talk about it and show it as an entity that will remain and be brought up to par with the best facilities the ACC has to offer. They talk about it becoming a part of the student life experience beyond an improved game day experience. A big part of that effort in this IMO is the removal of the Physics Building.

Nothing in here about the Dome really, except that they talk about it and show it as an entity that will remain and be brought up to par with the best facilities the ACC has to offer. They talk about it becoming a part of the student life experience beyond an improved game day experience. A big part of that effort in this IMO is the removal of the Physics Building.

I believe that decision has been made. It will certainly alter the look of the quad and bring the dome more prominently into the picture.

Was anyone able to sit through the entire video? Man was that boring.
I pulled it off. In truth they don't say much except that there is a lot of potential work to be done and most of it seems to be along Waverly Ave. That said the removal of the Physics building and a renovation of Archbold will make for a more active quad, a more engaged Dome, and better development opportunities on the east and west sides of campus. There is also a big push for the campus to engage the local town primarily by developing north up University Ave.

I pulled it off. In truth they don't say much except that there is a lot of potential work to be done and most of it seems to be along Waverly Ave. That said the removal of the Physics building and a renovation of Archbold will make for a more active quad, a more engaged Dome, and better development opportunities on the east and west sides of campus. There is also a big push for the campus to engage the local town primarily by developing north up University Ave.
I watched it through as well, and was dismayed to see it as the same presentation that I watched last November. It feels like we are in a bit of a standstill at the moment, sans the IVMF center. Perhaps, they aren't showing the nuts and bolts of the plan, but this broad overview doesn't seem to be a catalyst to rapid change at all. I think thats why we have been sitting around wondering when the dome decision will be made, etc. This plan, it seems, wasn't made to spur immediate change, rather to be used as a guide for when there are funds, influence, etc., available to make those amendments. Kinda like an advertisement to donors, saying, here's what we would like to do, now give us the money to do it. Prioritizing which projects come first, is probably what needs to be unveiled next.

I believe that decision has been made. It will certainly alter the look of the quad and bring the dome more prominently into the picture.
It's an old cliché, but time really does fly. I remember having a class in the new physics building and it wasn't finished yet. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom