Future Campus Framework Presentation... | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Presentation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for sharing this as you know more than SU staff members at this point. I checked with some friends on the Hill and the last they heard was the Sasaki recommendations last Spring.

I will be curious if athletes move to NorthWest (pay up Kanye) Campus because of the convenience of having them so close to the athletic facilities.
Yeah I would imagine that athletes will stay on South in some capacity. Just too convenient for them. Perhaps the University will raze the area and allow a private developer to come in and create an athletes village. The best one I saw was built on the University of Utah and they were the beneficiaries of the Olympic Village post Salt Lake.

If there was a business case, somebody would be laying rail all over the country.

Not so. It wasn't the private sector that built the interstate highway system, or initiated the internet. I could go on.

The point is, there are many projects, especially those involving infrastructure, where private investment cannot or will not (for reasons of profit) get involved until the government has got the ball rolling.

jekelish said:
That makes me think - wouldn't it be awesome to build a smaller, maybe takeout only version of Dinosaur up on M-Street? That place would RAKE in the money on game days. And every other day. When I was at SU, we only rarely went to Dino because it was a little bit of a pain to find a way to get down there.
yep for sure

They could run the train from the transportation center - plenty of room to tailgate there. Although they'd need to get Conrail involved as I'm pretty sure they own the tracks and mostly used for shipping . I remember there being steel left to rust on the lot by Park St. that was supposed to be used to add more tracks I think. County could never get Conrail on board to finish it.

I actually can appreciate both options. Both types of establishments bring something unique to the area. I love the downtown bars and restaurants, too, but come winter-time and especially if you have kids, destiny is a lot easier to access. Park off Solar, hop on the bridge and you're in. When I was single and in my 20s, the downtown scene definitely held more sway.

I hear you, I wasn't trying to crap on your preferences, just not a big fan of the corporate scene. It does have it's advantages. I wish I was still in my 20's!

I imagine him thinking you should have a bar called 44s, right there in the middle. Maybe a pizza place on the corner instead of another stupid Starbucks.

Welcome to NYS Mr. Chancellor.
Bring back The Orange!

I am getting up there in age and the walk is harder every year.
we can always dream...
iii-flying-chairs.png

Hey All,

One point I forgot to make, and perhaps Bill Orange can clarify more in depth, but we were told that the draft we saw was current as of October, however changes had been made already, so the process is most definitely still fluid. What I saw may have been replaced by something else already, so nobody panic if it doesn't meet your approval. I think there are staples that they want to get done soon, Vet Center, Dome, housing options, etc.

That is correct. I'll add that Dean Speaks added that if he could, he'd tear down the Sheraton ASAP.

Not so. It wasn't the private sector that built the interstate highway system, or initiated the internet. I could go on.

The point is, there are many projects, especially those involving infrastructure, where private investment cannot or will not (for reasons of profit) get involved until the government has got the ball rolling.

What's the national security implications of high speed rail service?

Bill Orange said:
That is correct. I'll add that Dean Speaks added that if he could, he'd tear down the Sheraton ASAP.

By doing that, they're just driving the older crowd -- and parents -- off campus for hotel options, dining and drinks.

Not sure I understand their thinking.

You get rid of the Sheraton and Marshall Street becomes a slum.

I just hope they have some good alternatives.

By doing that, they're just driving the older crowd -- and parents -- off campus for hotel options, dining and drinks.

Not sure I understand their thinking.

You get rid of the Sheraton and Marshall Street becomes a slum.

I just hope they have some good alternatives.

Well, that's his wish. Ideally, I would hope that they can make a seamless transition from the current Sheraton to the Dome Sheraton (assuming Starwood still wants their flag there) so you would not have a loss of available rooms right on campus. I've ask L, who will be in Charm City for tonight's event, to ask that question as well as the following:

How will the new Varsity/Faegan's building weave into the master plan?
When the Marshall Street renovation happens, will there be a time capsule buried? And if so, can Dave Jacobs be buried in it?

I'll hang up and listen.

Yeah, I'd be all for getting rid of the Sheraton if it coincided with building another hotel attached to the Dome. That seems like prime real estate for SU to use to better blend campus with the M Street area.

Yeah, I'd be all for getting rid of the Sheraton if it coincided with building another hotel attached to the Dome. That seems like prime real estate for SU to use to better blend campus with the M Street area.
Agreed. But as you and Cuseguy said above, there would need to be another hotel to provide rooms on or reallyclose to campus. Tearing it down without some sort of replacement would be a mistake, IMO.

Agreed. But as you and Cuseguy said above, there would need to be another hotel to provide rooms on or reallyclose to campus. Tearing it down without some sort of replacement would be a mistake, IMO.

I can't imagine SU would want to go a long time without an on campus hotel. I mean if it's, say, a year between tearing down the Sheraton and opening the one at the Dome I'm sure they could live with it. If anything though I'd think it's more likely a Dome hotel opens before the Sheraton is blown up, old Vegas style.

For sure. It will be a dorm. Scooch Hall has a nice ring to it.

Not sure if anyone from this forum will be at the event in Charm City, but if anything new that wasn't mentioned last evening is mentioned this evening, I'll be getting a report tomorrow morning and will update.

For sure. It will be a dorm. Scooch Hall has a nice ring to it.

Not sure if anyone from this forum will be at the event in Charm City, but if anything new that wasn't mentioned last evening is mentioned this evening, I'll be getting a report tomorrow morning and will update.

I'm not sure SU is up for even more buildings named after Fairfield, CT residents. ;)

There's the Skyler Hotel which is pretty nice. Not sure how many rooms they have and it's not a national chain but it's still on campus

I think the corner at UVA is the prefect example of what we should want. college town but nicer than m street. Very similar set up with campus then college town across street. The difference being they have 6 to 8 faegans type places. Some nice shops . Very little chain restaurants. They gave a little bit student body but not by much and they are able to support a much larger off campus bar/restaurant scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom