Future Campus Framework Presentation... | Page 83 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Presentation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would he speak in Syracuse unless some goodies are coming?

My guess: Carrier name sticks with new below market naming rights, $100-200M coming to kickstart Dome renovation and hopefully an announcement of a local plant expansion.

Doesn't he do these "State of the State" addresses in a few cities around the state? I don't think they are necessarily tied to any announcements of anything.

My guess: Carrier name sticks with new below market naming rights, $100-200M coming to kickstart Dome renovation and hopefully an announcement of a local plant expansion.

That would be a nice start.

He is probably just coming to tell them he is raising their taxes to pay for his new initiative of letting kids from families making less than 125K go to public state colleges for free.

He is probably just coming to tell them he is raising their taxes to pay for his new initiative of letting kids from families making less than 125K go to public state colleges for free.
Trying to set himself for an inevitably failed attempt at the 2020 nomination.

Not to derail the thread here, but can someone explain to me how this program can be anything but disastrous for schools like SU or moreso, Le Moyne, who count on over 80% of their students coming from in-state, many in middle class and lower families?

Looks like Cuomo's State of the State Address in Syracuse will be January 11. You'd think if there was any assistance to SU that this would leak out well before. So far nothing... :(
I really don't think we will see nor does Syverud want state money for his initiatives.

Justin Mattingly‏@jmattingly306 14m14 minutes ago
Amir Rahnamay-Azar, the CFO at Carnegie Mellon, has been named to the same role at SU, per the university. Starts Feb. 15.

Worth noting: Rahnamay-Azar oversaw more than $350 million in capital projects involving campus facilities while at Carnegie Mellon.

He'll play a similar role (assuming Board of Trustees approval) at SU with oversight of the Campus Framework.

Not to derail the thread here, but can someone explain to me how this program can be anything but disastrous for schools like SU or moreso, Le Moyne, who count on over 80% of their students coming from in-state, many in middle class and lower families?

SUNY and CUNY schools only

Edit: You actually probably mean won't this lower their attendance! I think it could draw some people to SUNY from private schools but not in a huge way.

It might enhance it the private university degree more. Public schools flooded with students, devaluing the degrees.

It might enhance it the private university degree more. Public schools flooded with students, devaluing the degrees.

That is possible. I'm sure the SUNY's and CUNY's would still have Admissions standards, but the quality of the education received may not be as good if the investment isn't right.

"Free" often has strings attached, especially when politicians are involveded. If the attached strings are too burdensome to the plans the University is pursuing then rejecting Albany's "free" money is the right course.
Superman knows what he is doing. Might go down as one of our best Chancellor ever.

You all do realize the dome was originally built with a good chunk of nys money. Su isn't turning down anything, bank on it

I wonder if it would lead to a special in-state private school "allowance" for NYS kids who want to go private.

I'd rather money go to one or more of:
Reduced NYS education loan rates.
Loan forgiveness of students with degrees in area of job needs
Free community college with greater emphasis on education in needed trades.
Given that maybe 50% of those entering a 4 year school will not graduate - have funding directed to those entering their junior year.

Given that maybe 50% of those entering a 4 year school will not graduate - have funding directed to those entering their junior year.

Agreed. There are better ways to make this happen - but it's not the political win this is.

This is where most of the education subsidies should be going. We are going to have a major shortage of skilled trade labor in the not-too-distant future so that the cost of contracting these workers is going to skyrocket. The county where I live in NJ no longer offers education in the construction/maintenance trades at the vo-tech high school. Instead, they offer cosmetology, hair-styling and computers. I guess cheap mani-pedis is more important than plumbing, electrical and HVAC. Who cares if your house is crumbling as long as your nails are well-groomed?

You make valid points. I only point out that:

1) It makes sense
2) Any reasonable person can figure this out
3) It's simpler than than the IRS code

Based on the three above points, you idea will never make it to the Assembly floor. When has a politician done anything sensible? Are politicians reasonable? Can politicians write laws without trying to out do the IRS?

Otherwise, your post is a good post. Especially focusing tuition assistance/loan reimbursement towards degrees that are needed. I have nothing against many degree programs but to push people into the needed areas, provide less financing to degree fields that are over saturated and provide more funding to degree fields that are needed.

Lakeview Amphitheater VIP box section packages cost up to $19,950 for 2017 season

People will broke before the season starts.Taxpayers built this for the few.

How much will this impact Syracuse University will be hard to figure out,but this is big money.
hold on a minute, the university already prices out people that cannot afford to give a donation. There were 17,000 people at the game against Miami with a ton of empty seats in the lower level. Why is that? Because the folks aka corporations that can buy a lot of those seats have no vested interest in the team. Maybe they give the tickets away, maybe they don't. I would guess this is not uncommon across any venue that looks to get as much money as they can out of the best seating they have.

I went to 5 shows at the amphitheater last year and sat in front for one of them. Thanks taxpayers!

hold on a minute, the university already prices out people that cannot afford to give a donation. There were 17,000 people at the game against Miami with a ton of empty seats in the lower level. Why is that? Because the folks aka corporations that can buy a lot of those seats have no vested interest in the team. Maybe they give the tickets away, maybe they don't. I would guess this is not uncommon across any venue that looks to get as much money as they can out of the best seating they have.

I went to 5 shows at the amphitheater last year and sat in front for one of them. Thanks taxpayers!
I did not even here about the box seat prices when they were in the planning stage. Is this a new concept for this year. Do they sell the seats that the owners that decide they did not want to attend.
Plus I was looking at the donations for the box seats as the POTENTIAL PROBLEM on the donations to the university,not so much as the overall seat sales to the general public. The timing of the events here just might take away some from the other SU events.
I had to travel to Maryland for the day on Miami gameday ,but the announcers said on the radio the weather was a factor for the low attendance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom