Future Campus Framework Presentation... | Page 82 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Presentation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, boo hoo. Too many nice apartments are being built in the University section. This means there is competition for the University's overpriced dorms.

The article talked about the impact on the neighborhoods surrounding the University, which are mostly rentals right now. The University isn't overly concerned with these new apartments because they require freshman and sophomores who don't live at home to live on campus, which fills up almost all of their housing.

The article talked about the impact on the neighborhoods surrounding the University, which are mostly rentals right now. The University isn't overly concerned with these new apartments because they require freshman and sophomores who don't live at home to live on campus, which fills up almost all of their housing.
Exactly. The concern for the university is the local infrastructure, and how that is maintained. These out of state companies coming in and taking tax breaks to build (mostly ugly) buildings that in some cases will house thousands threatens the Comstock, Euclid neighborhoods where a ton of students live and landlords maintain properties as a result. It also takes revenue out of local hands, but thats another issue. Perhaps, if these new facilities came up over time, there would be a natural adjustment, but there are like 5 proposed or being built right now. Will shift the population in a major way.

Last edited:
My understanding is the delay is due to funding. Hopefully we will hear something from Governor Cuomo after the forst of the year to get the ball rolling.

My understanding is the delay is due to funding. Hopefully we will hear something from Governor Cuomo after the forst of the year to get the ball rolling.

I don't really know what the state would do, though. Their involvement previously was centered around building a mixed-use facility that would not be owned by the University, but the University would be one of several tenants. I'm not sure I can see them sinking a boat load of money into a stadium renovation project where the University retains ownership of the stadium and can dictate how it gets used.

I don't really know what the state would do, though. Their involvement previously was centered around building a mixed-use facility that would not be owned by the University, but the University would be one of several tenants. I'm not sure I can see them sinking a boat load of money into a stadium renovation project where the University retains ownership of the stadium and can dictate how it gets used.

Not inside knowledge, but an educated guess: Home | Streamlining State Grant Processes

Someone PLEASE tell me we have secured funding. If we let this basketball season play out we may lose all of our pledged contributions from alumni.

Someone PLEASE tell me we have secured funding. If we let this basketball season play out we may lose all of our pledged contributions from alumni.
Now would be an awesome time for a fan pick me up.

Now would be an awesome time for a fan pick me up.
If Mahoney is the die hard supporter that she claims to be, then she needs to step up, give cuomo a rusty trombone and get his signature.

If Mahoney is the die hard supporter that she claims to be, then she needs to step up, give cuomo a rusty trombone and get his signature.
Hoping the Governor's budget in a few weeks will have tasty nuggets.

compromise.. syracuse retains ownership but allows more state type events and concerts with state getting a % of revenues?

compromise.. syracuse retains ownership but allows more state type events and concerts with state getting a % of revenues?

Still don't see how that's worthwhile for the state and I don't see SU being interested in not having total control over the venue and what takes place inside it.

Still don't see how that's worthwhile for the state and I don't see SU being interested in not having total control over the venue and what takes place inside it.
I thought the original deal with the state when the dome was built was to make it available for high school events which they have done and continue to do. SU still has control over the venue but are obligated to have HS football playoffs and band competitions there. They used to host the Empire Games too. Maybe a deal to expand on that type of usage.

I thought the original deal with the state when the dome was built was to make it available for high school events which they have done and continue to do. SU still has control over the venue but are obligated to have HS football playoffs and band competitions there. They used to host the Empire Games too. Maybe a deal to expand on that type of usage.
The Dome charges all those groups that use the facility - NYSPHSAA, Section III, etc

The Dome charges all those groups that use the facility - NYSPHSAA, Section III, etc
interesting, I thought for sure it was part of the initial agreement to get funding from the state but can't find anything online to reference it.

Thought I'd add this link:

How the city of Syracuse works with Syracuse University to develop the Campus Framework

“It’s in both parties’ best interest to have a very fluid, working, respectful relationship, that has been the case,” he said. “Occasionally there has been a hiccup, (but) the relationship has been good.”

Paul Driscoll, commissioner of the Department of Neighborhood and Business Development, referenced the proposals to renovate the Carrier Dome in late 2013 as one possible disagreement between the university and the city.

Thought I'd add this link:

How the city of Syracuse works with Syracuse University to develop the Campus Framework

“It’s in both parties’ best interest to have a very fluid, working, respectful relationship, that has been the case,” he said. “Occasionally there has been a hiccup, (but) the relationship has been good.”

Paul Driscoll, commissioner of the Department of Neighborhood and Business Development, referenced the proposals to renovate the Carrier Dome in late 2013 as one possible disagreement between the university and the city.
Is that touchy feely department name from Cantor or Miner.

Looks like Cuomo's State of the State Address in Syracuse will be January 11. You'd think if there was any assistance to SU that this would leak out well before. So far nothing... :(

Yeah, is there any update with the Dome stuff? Shouldn't something be coming out at some point soon?

Why would he speak in Syracuse unless some goodies are coming?

My guess: Carrier name sticks with new below market naming rights, $100-200M coming to kickstart Dome renovation and hopefully an announcement of a local plant expansion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors