Future of the center position | Syracusefan.com

Future of the center position

two3zone

RIP Shark58
I have to say I'm a little nervous about the center position in the next couple of seasons. With not one center coming in this up coming year and only one center recruiting target in the year after (Moustapha Diange who doesn't look like a guy who could start for power team as a freshman) what are we going to do with the position? I'm not even so worried this year because we do have Rak and I honestly don't think there will be that much of a drop off in production from BMK to Chin, but what about the year after? Is Coleman even an option at this point? And even if he is, is he capable of playing the 5 in the zone? A lot of questions surround the 5 in the coming years, it's just amazing to me that Louisville can have 3 guys on their roster (coming in the next year) who are 6'10"+ and we can't even find one.

Coleman will be back in 2015. So you have Jr Coleman, So Chino, and then whatever Freshman you bring in that year, which could be Diagne and Bryant.

I don't really see a problem?

I want someone who can put the ball in the basket while jumping. Simply put, a jumpshot.

Coleman will be back in 2015. So you have Jr Coleman, So Chino, and then whatever Freshman you bring in that year, which could be Diagne and Bryant.

I don't really see a problem?

That spells a huge problem for 2014, we need Coleman badly next year.

Rak this year.

DC2 or Chino the next year.

McCullough in a pinch in either year.

I don't think center is our biggest issue right now. We know what we're getting out of that spot, more or less. And I think Rak is going to be very good this year now that the position is 90% his, and if DC2 can come back from injury, he'll be effective as well. We don't need to worry about the center position for another year or two, frankly.

I am really worried about the guard situation. In 2017 we are going to be screwed.

Uh, Rakeem Christmas? If he can stay out of foul trouble, now that he's got the position to himself, more or less...watch out. He's shown enough flashes that we should all be excited at least a little. I expect no less than, say, 8ppg, 6rpg, 2bpg out of Rak next year. I would take that any day of the week considering what we usually get from our center position. If he gets enough touches he could easily increase that to 10ppg, too. He converts at a high enough percentage in terms of FG and FT % to do so.

Uh, Rakeem Christmas? If he can stay out of foul trouble, now that he's got the position to himself, more or less...watch out. He's shown enough flashes that we should all be excited at least a little. I expect no less than, say, 8ppg, 6rpg, 2bpg out of Rak next year. I would take that any day of the week considering what we usually get from our center position. If he gets enough touches he could easily increase that to 10ppg, too. He converts at a high enough percentage in terms of FG and FT % to do so.

Key word "If", I don't ever think we are going to get what we thought out of Rak, could he have a Rick Jackson type blowup in his senior season? Its possible, but I wouldn't count on it. We need a healthy Coleman next year.

Key word "If", I don't ever think we are going to get what we thought out of Rak, could he have a Rick Jackson type blowup in his senior season? Its possible, but I wouldn't count on it. We need a healthy Coleman next year.
We will agree to disagree, of course, and respectfully so, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by how much Rakeem gives us next year. I think he's going to be the breakout player in 14-15. I think you would agree that it would be awesome if that were the case. He's certainly got the talent and athletic ability to be outstanding and flirt with a double-double almost every night.

Put me in the camp that Roc will continue to be an enigmatic and frustrating player next season. You just can't turn your motor off and on and be successful.

We will agree to disagree, of course, and respectfully so, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by how much Rakeem gives us next year. I think he's going to be the breakout player in 14-15. I think you would agree that it would be awesome if that were the case. He's certainly got the talent and athletic ability to be outstanding and flirt with a double-double almost every night.

I would be ecstatic if Rak had a breakout year next year, I have been waiting a long time to see it. I honestly thought he would have a breakout season last year, I just don't think it is coming. If our centers next year are Rak and Chino we are in for a long season.

I would be ecstatic if Rak had a breakout year next year, I have been waiting a long time to see it. I honestly thought he would have a breakout season last year, I just don't think it is coming. If our centers next year are Rak and Chino we are in for a long season.
Disagree. I love Baye, he's a great human being, but he was not a very good basketball player. And JB somehow decided he was someone who should take minutes from Rak. I firmly believe that with Baye gone, it will do Rak world's of good since, at this point, JB doesn't have his anointed one to pull off the bench to play in Rak's place. The position is firmly Rak's, and that will do WONDERS for his confidence.

I believe in Rak. You should, too.

I believe in Rak too. Unfortunately he has only one year left. I guess my worries are what Coleman has to produce.

Diagne is going to be really, really good. IDK if he's a true Center, but he is one of the most coordinated 6'9"+ players we have recruited in the last 10 years. I know highlight videos can be misleading, but I've seen some decent post moves, excellent ballhandling for a big, and the ability on multiple occasions to dribble the entire length of the court and finish. I know he has to put on some muscle and obviously won't be dribbling down the court at SU, but I'm really excited to see him in orange.

Rak this year.

DC2 or Chino the next year.

McCullough in a pinch in either year.

I don't think center is our biggest issue right now. We know what we're getting out of that spot, more or less. And I think Rak is going to be very good this year now that the position is 90% his, and if DC2 can come back from injury, he'll be effective as well. We don't need to worry about the center position for another year or two, frankly.
Why do i keep seeing CMac "in a pinch/if nessessary" isnt he like 6-10 compared to our current 2 centers that are 6-9? Do enhanced offensive skills keep him from anchoring the zone at the 5 spot? Honest question as I have no clue, just basing it on size alone.

We rarely have four year players that aren't able to step it up by their senior year. I can count on one hand the number of guys that have gotten real playing time and haven't had good senior years. You just have to establish your expectation correctly. If you're expecting 20ppg / 10 rbg you will be disappointed. If you look for the numbers that Jekelish threw out there, I think you'll get them.

Did Coleman get a medical red shirt this season? Did he even apply?

Rak, for his career, has increased his PPG from 2.8 to 5.8 over 3 seasons, despite his playing time increasing from 11.5 to 23.6 MPG. That trend does not inspire confidence that we will have a break out year next year. If confidence is a factor, look at Rak's HS stats. If I recall correctly, he only averaged something like 11 PPG in HS.

Rakeem Christmas Stat Summary:

SeasonGPMPGPPGFG%3FG%FT%APGRPGBPGSPG
2013-143423.65.861.30.072.60.75.11.90.5
2012-134021.05.153.00.057.40.24.61.80.5
2011-123711.52.857.30.057.10.22.90.80.3
Career11118.64.556.7063.80.44.21.50.4

For comparison, these are the career stats for Rick Jackson, who nearly tripled his PPG from freshman to jr years while playing similar minutes to Rak each season

Rick Jackson Stat Summary:

2010-113535.613.158.80.053.32.210.32.51.3
2009-103526.39.759.10.050.01.77.02.01.0
2008-093822.08.362.30.048.10.95.81.60.9
2007-083512.93.752.60.052.80.53.01.30.4
Career14324.28.759.10.051.21.36.51.80.9

Rak, for his career, has increased his PPG from 2.8 to 5.8 over 3 seasons, despite his playing time increasing from 11.5 to 23.6 MPG. That trend does not inspire confidence that we will have a break out year next year. If confidence is a factor, look at Rak's HS stats. If I recall correctly, he only averaged something like 11 PPG in HS.

Rakeem Christmas Stat Summary:

2013-143423.65.861.30.072.60.75.11.90.5
2012-134021.05.153.00.057.40.24.61.80.5
2011-123711.52.857.30.057.10.22.90.80.3
Career11118.64.556.7063.80.44.21.50.4

For comparison, these are the career stats for Rick Jackson, who nearly tripled his PPG from freshman to jr years while playing similar minutes to Rak each season

Rick Jackson Stat Summary:

2010-113535.613.158.80.053.32.210.32.51.3
2009-103526.39.759.10.050.01.77.02.01.0
2008-093822.08.362.30.048.10.95.81.60.9
2007-083512.93.752.60.052.80.53.01.30.4
Career14324.28.759.10.051.21.36.51.80.9

Will Rak be the next Rick Jackson? No. Will he average double digit ppg? Probably.

There isn't much depth at the position and we lack a surefire offensive threat that we can establish our scoring around. This means we'll be spreading the wealth on the offensive end, which bodes well for Rakeem. He'll be the only Senior, Coleman likely won't be 100% to start the season (if he plays), and dumping the ball into the paint is a simple solution for inexperienced players who don't want to toss up jumpers and get the hook from Jimmy B. Also, Joseph is a slasher who will likely be dumping the ball to the big men when he gets swarmed around the hoop.

I want 8/8 out of Rak. Him rebounding on the defensive boards is more important than hm scoring.

Why do i keep seeing CMac "in a pinch/if nessessary" isnt he like 6-10 compared to our current 2 centers that are 6-9? Do enhanced offensive skills keep him from anchoring the zone at the 5 spot? Honest question as I have no clue, just basing it on size alone.
I say in a pinch at the 5 because he will be our starting 4.

I want 8/8 out of Rak. Him rebounding on the defensive boards is more important than hm scoring.
If we get 8/8 with 55% FG and 70% FT from Rak we will be pretty damn happy I'm thinking. All very, very realistic numbers.

We will be fine in the front court next season. I'm really excited to see Rak play without having to look over his shoulder. He should get 30+ minutes every game, Boeheim won't have a choice in sitting him. I'm expecting a big Senior season from Rak. 9pts 8rbs 2.5blks

In the past three years we've had two McD AA come in at center. I thought it was going to be a position of strength for our team for quite a while. Rak has been a serviceable role player and DC2 has been held back by injuries. Arguably our greatest recruits at center have faired no better than our 2 or 3 star finds.

With Baye gone, it's addition by subtraction. Sure, he understood the zone, but in that case we might as well dig up Albert Einstein and put him under there. He'd understand Jim's zone like nobody's business. But somebody has to have a little offense, and be able to rebound. Chinoso may be raw, but the coaches say he has the best "knack" for rebounding on the team. Throw in a couple of actual converted garbage buckets, and the C position seems solid.

I recall during that great Jackson/Onuaku year that they both solidly anchored the Top % FG% list in the BE. 2 guys making 2/3 of their shots virtually negates opponents' 3% shooting. And those 2 stank at the foul line. Plus, Onuaku wasn't really a great rebounder - although his positioning probably made it harder for opponents. If Rak and another big could convert plenty of high % shots, get to the line often, cause foul problems for opponents, and rebound a bit better, that could elevate SU's whole game next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom