Future Recruiting | Syracusefan.com

Future Recruiting

anomander

Living Legend
I am really surprised at the low amount of offers we have in the 2015, and 2016 classes. I know this has been beat to death, but i really hope we turn this Clemson game into a showcase for our program, since it may be one of the few opportunities to show a live game day atmosphere. I really think we are dropping the ball if we don't do this, then again it seems the only kids we have offered in the next 2 classes are big time recruits from down south that we are never going to get in the first place? I know some people just want to pretend they don't exist, but our recruiting rival down in NJ just capitalized big time against a mid tier SEC club. They had 15+ prospects, most being 2015/16 kids, and for the most part all from a region we recruit. I looked at the list of visitors they had and we have only offered 1 of the kids (Gonzalez), and there was some good talent there. Sure you can say it's easier for them to get local kids on campus, but they had kids from Philadelphia, lower NJ, and Bath NY, yes Bath NY, so you really can't use that as an excuse.
Pitt did the same thing showcasing their game day atmosphere against FSU. They also had a bunch of kids on campus, all who loved it. Results in these games don't really matter, it's just a great opportunity to show the kids what you can offer.
But getting back to the point, it's the very limited amount of kids we have offered. I don't know how our evaluation process works, but I sure hope they have advanced it a few years because it seems we are getting a late start on a ton of kids. Recently Skout released a watch list for the top 2016 from the Northeast and out of 20 or so we do not have 1 single offer out. But guess who has basically offered 3 quarters of the kids? Not to mention Pitt, Penn St, and even Temple. With the uphill battle we already face in recruiting you would think getting in early on kids could be something that we could control.

I feel like the number of 2015 and 2016 recruits have increased and we have actually sped up that clock a little bit? I feel like this staff (at least the holdovers) have relationships with kids already even if the offers haven't yet reflected it.

I think you are seeing something similar to Marrone's entry, where you have to spend some time getting back into schools (especially since our recruiting areas have changed a little bit from Marrone to Shafer) and that can make it hard to evaluate 3 classes worth of kids in 1 year while also managing a season trying to make a bowl.

I feel like the number of 2015 and 2016 recruits have increased and we have actually sped up that clock a little bit? I feel like this staff (at least the holdovers) have relationships with kids already even if the offers haven't yet reflected it.

I think you are seeing something similar to Marrone's entry, where you have to spend some time getting back into schools (especially since our recruiting areas have changed a little bit from Marrone to Shafer) and that can make it hard to evaluate 3 classes worth of kids in 1 year while also managing a season trying to make a bowl.

I'm hoping that's the case, but the 2 coaches who are holdovers (Moore/Daoust) recruit the areas where we would expect to get visits from kids in their sophomore and junior years. Other then Chris Clark we haven't had 1 kid up for an unofficial unless it was in a camp setting. I am sure they are trying to get kids up, that's why using the Clemson game as some sort of incentive could help. The NJ school had a New Rochelle Junior RB on campus twice already.

are people really offering 2016 kids already? good lord - a lot can change between now and then in football as far as development goes. I'd love for the staff to be getting some promising 2016 prospects up to campus for a big game now - but I'm ok with them waiting to start handing out offer to that class

are people really offering 2016 kids already? good lord - a lot can change between now and then in football as far as development goes. I'd love for the staff to be getting some promising 2016 prospects up to campus for a big game now - but I'm ok with them waiting to start handing out offer to that class
LSU just got a commitment from a RB in the class of 2017

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1

I'm not worried about the 2015/2016 class yet. We've seen the extent that HS seniors can waffle over 3-4 schools in a matter of weeks. Sophs in HS might have a dream school and then everyone else. I'm not saying they don't deserve contact, but offers to sophs are like credit card companies sending pre-approvals in the mail - you still have to go through the whole process when they're juniors. Kids get hurt, don't continue to grow/improve, coaches can leave or get fired. There is just so much that can happen before things get serious with their recruiting for me to get worked up over the number of offers to the 2016 class.

It's still kind of early for 2015 too, imo. Let's see who we get in for the Duke hoops game before getting worried.

I'm not worried about the 2015/2016 class yet. We've seen the extent that HS seniors can waffle over 3-4 schools in a matter of weeks. Sophs in HS might have a dream school and then everyone else. I'm not saying they don't deserve contact, but offers to sophs are like credit card companies sending pre-approvals in the mail - you still have to go through the whole process when they're juniors. Kids get hurt, don't continue to grow/improve, coaches can leave or get fired. There is just so much that can happen before things get serious with their recruiting for me to get worked up over the number of offers to the 2016 class.

It's still kind of early for 2015 too, imo. Let's see who we get in for the Duke hoops game before getting worried.

I'm sorry and no offense, but this is old thinking. Now don't get me wrong you don't have to offer these kids but you have to be recruiting them and trying toget them on campus as soon as possible. It's how things works these days. We wait and were already behind, cause you may not think we should contact these kids, but you can bet Rutgers, Pitt, Penn St, and even Temple are all over these kids

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - http://tapatalk.com/m/

I'm sorry and no offense, but this is old thinking. Now don't get me wrong you don't have to offer these kids but you have to be recruiting them and trying toget them on campus as soon as possible. It's how things works these days. We wait and were already behind, cause you may not think we should contact these kids, but you can bet Rutgers, Pitt, Penn St, and even Temple are all over these kids

-
Re-read my post - I said they may deserve a contact. The fact is that you don't know much about what our staff is doing (neither do I) with the '15-'16 kids. If you did, you would already know what's going on with those classes - you're just speculating that it's nothing.

Our recruiting coordinator seems to have a pretty good idea what he's doing. He's a young guy and has us getting looks from a lot of high-profile kids. Again, I'm not concerned, but then again, apparently I'm old and senile at 44, so what do I know?

Our OC has all his contacts at the Florida schools, and I'm sure any players in those areas have been looked at, and are being evaluated.

Re-read my post - I said they may deserve a contact. The fact is that you don't know much about what our staff is doing (neither do I) with the '15-'16 kids. If you did, you would already know what's going on with those classes - you're just speculating that it's nothing.

Our recruiting coordinator seems to have a pretty good idea what he's doing. He's a young guy and has us getting looks from a lot of high-profile kids. Again, I'm not concerned, but then again, apparently I'm old and senile at 44, so what do I know?

We should know who we are going to offer a few years in advance. Like I said above one of our major recruiting rivals just had a dozen sophomores and juniors on campus for a showcase game. A few of those kids it was their 2nd trip, and most of the kids have already been offered. Same thing I said for the top 20 kids in the northeast for 2016, we haven't a single one, but again our regional recruiting rivals have. Were already facing an uphill battle

I am really surprised at the low amount of offers we have in the 2015, and 2016 classes. I know this has been beat to death, but i really hope we turn this Clemson game into a showcase for our program, since it may be one of the few opportunities to show a live game day atmosphere. I really think we are dropping the ball if we don't do this, then again it seems the only kids we have offered in the next 2 classes are big time recruits from down south that we are never going to get in the first place? I know some people just want to pretend they don't exist, but our recruiting rival down in NJ just capitalized big time against a mid tier SEC club. They had 15+ prospects, most being 2015/16 kids, and for the most part all from a region we recruit. I looked at the list of visitors they had and we have only offered 1 of the kids (Gonzalez), and there was some good talent there. Sure you can say it's easier for them to get local kids on campus, but they had kids from Philadelphia, lower NJ, and Bath NY, yes Bath NY, so you really can't use that as an excuse.
Pitt did the same thing showcasing their game day atmosphere against FSU. They also had a bunch of kids on campus, all who loved it. Results in these games don't really matter, it's just a great opportunity to show the kids what you can offer.
But getting back to the point, it's the very limited amount of kids we have offered. I don't know how our evaluation process works, but I sure hope they have advanced it a few years because it seems we are getting a late start on a ton of kids. Recently Skout released a watch list for the top 2016 from the Northeast and out of 20 or so we do not have 1 single offer out. But guess who has basically offered 3 quarters of the kids? Not to mention Pitt, Penn St, and even Temple. With the uphill battle we already face in recruiting you would think getting in early on kids could be something that we could control.

This is the advantage of having your 2014 class pretty much wrapped up by the Fall. We're clearly still working on it, which makes spending alot of time scouting and recruiting juniors and sophomores harder. What happened in basketball recruiting is happening (has been happening) in football. Once you fall behind, it becomes harder to compete with schools that have a 9-12 month edge on you in terms of relationships built. If the NCAA legislates an early signing period, which many of the Big 5 schools are pushing for, then overcoming the head-start that other schools have is going to be harder.

This is the advantage of having your 2014 class pretty much wrapped up by the Fall. We're clearly still working on it, which makes spending alot of time scouting and recruiting juniors and sophomores harder. What happened in basketball recruiting is happening (has been happening) in football. Once you fall behind, it becomes harder to compete with schools that have a 9-12 month edge on you in terms of relationships built. If the NCAA legislates an early signing period, which many of the Big 5 schools are pushing for, then overcoming the head-start that other schools have is going to be harder.

Yep I totally agree. Do you know if there is any sort of timetable for when that may be passed, or if it will?

I guess my main point is you pretty much know who is going to be a bcs level recruit by the time they are sophomores in HS, so if you know you are going to eventually recruit them, it would help getting the offer out early. Everybody knows they are non-binding, and there is little chance a kid is going to commit on the spot. But what it does do is gets you in on the kid early. To a lot of these kids that's a big deal. And there is a lot of information out there, either by the kids themselves, or through sources/recruiting services, so you know if a kid is being actively recruited. Robert Washington for example is a 2016 we have been very actively recruiting. I don't know I guess it was just a little alarming when you don't see 1 offer out to any kid rated in the Northeast top 20.

Yes and no! It will give us the chance to relax on kids like a Howard Brantley that we would be worried would flip, but I agree does set us back if we're not on kids as soon as the big boys.

Yes and no! It will give us the chance to relax on kids like a Howard Brantley that we would be worried would flip, but I agree does set us back if we're not on kids as soon as the big boys.

Dead on. It has it's advantages and disadvantages. For us it would almost be a disadvantage, since it will favor the big boys like Michigan who already have 6 2015 commits. We would definitely have to accelerate our process big time if this were to ever happen.

Winning in the ACC will cure recruiting, just as when we were good from 1987-2001, but the last years of Paul, and he who shall not be named ruined recruiting. Scott is the type of coach who kids will want to play for, and the staff is basically young, has the in touch with what young people like.

I can't believe he is only 15 years old. He is running over everyone. I wonder what the competition is like that he is playing against. Where is this kid from?

Watervilet is class C I believe, which isn't good competition at all. They may have moved classes recently, but still competition is not strong

Watervilet is class C I believe, which isn't good competition at all. They may have moved classes recently, but still competition is not strong

-

Thanks, class "C" is not very competitive compared to class 7A in Florida or even class "A" in NY, but I would be willing to bet that he would still do well against better competition. The kid is big for a 15 year old.

Thanks, class "C" is not very competitive compared to class 7A in Florida or even class "A" in NY, but I would be willing to bet that he would still do well against better competition. The kid is big for a 15 year old.
Agreed. As a Class C school we handed two AA schools their a$$es this summer at padded camps. Would we compete with Florida 7A schools? No. But a good athlete with size and speed can be found anywhere regardless of class.

Last edited:
As a

As a Class C school we handed two AA schools their a$$es this summer at padded camps. Would we compete with Florida 7A schools? No. But a good athlete with size and speed can be found anywhere regardless of class.

Believe me I know that. I played at class "D" Weedsport and we played a few class A and B schools and faired very well. This wasn't my point at all. I was trying to say that I believe this kid would do well against the better competition as well.

Agreed. As a Class C school we handed two AA schools their a$$es this summer at padded camps. Would we compete with Florida 7A schools? No. But a good athlete with size and speed can be found anywhere regardless of class.

"But a good athlete with size and speed can be found anywhere regardless of class.[/quote]"

Great reminder for everyone. I think this staff will have a good eye for those hidden gems... like Erv.

Devir 1h
Syracuse Football Coach Talked To Lil Bro Today. Damn That's Big. He Only A Freshman.

Tweet from a kid in WestPhilly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom