Future Stadium Options | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Future Stadium Options

Football Stadium Options

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I kinda get your point but not really:

More people see the Carrier Dome in person and on TV than Minnie's FB Stadium.

Lambeau Field is in a tiny market...but it would garner more naming rights money than just about every other NFL stadium. Not as simple as Metro size to determine value.

I wasn't really making a coherent point. Just being a wise-ass.

It's a gift.

Anything that takes the stadium off of the SU campus is a bad idea. Current location is optimal. South Campus is okay. Other options like State Fair, etc., please no. This is college football. Keep it on the college campus.

Does anyone know what naming rights would go for (estimated) per year if we could kick Carrier to the curb?

As much as I would love it if SU could get some new cash from a new naming sponsor, I would also hate to see the Dome renamed. Once that is done, you lose some of the identity and recognition for the stadium. Everyone knows the "Carrier Dome" on sight. Name it the Billy Fucillo Dome, and you've lost something

Put the football stadium on Skytop. Do whatever's necessary to get more than enough parking lot space. Make it 50k, or close. Retractable roof. Top of the line scoreboards, audio systems. Better food and drink options, although they've done a nice job of upgrading this in the Dome with the Loud House Grille and the beer stand near 101 which has a bunch of options. Maybe a limited menu Dino satellite?

Aside from just the tailgate options around the Dome, have DPS stay kind of lax around South Campus with open container and underage drinking stuff on gamedays, like they do on Mayfest (for the most part, stay off the sidewalk DSyR!). The student tailgate scene on South Campus would be awesome, and it'd be a unique scene. Run tons of Centro buses from everywhere, pick up in front of dorms, do whatever you need to get kids down there.

Once the Dome is down, put up a 35k state of the art basketball-only facility in that spot. I know it might not have the best sightlines, but the Dome's size is a massive selling point for players. Losing that edge would be big, even if a 20k stadium would have slightly better seats. Players see the game from the court, not the stands.

There's my pipe-dream.

Once the Dome is down, put up a 35k state of the art basketball-only facility in that spot. I know it might not have the best sightlines, but the Dome's size is a massive selling point for players. Losing that edge would be big, even if a 20k stadium would have slightly better seats. Players see the game from the court, not the stands.

There's my pipe-dream.

What do you do with basketball while the Dome is being torn down and rebuilt?

When Archbold was torn down, it took from November 1978 to July 1980. That's 2 full BB seasons.

Put the football stadium on Skytop. Do whatever's necessary to get more than enough parking lot space. Make it 50k, or close. Retractable roof. Top of the line scoreboards, audio systems. Better food and drink options, although they've done a nice job of upgrading this in the Dome with the Loud House Grille and the beer stand near 101 which has a bunch of options. Maybe a limited menu Dino satellite?

Aside from just the tailgate options around the Dome, have DPS stay kind of lax around South Campus with open container and underage drinking stuff on gamedays, like they do on Mayfest (for the most part, stay off the sidewalk DSyR!). The student tailgate scene on South Campus would be awesome, and it'd be a unique scene. Run tons of Centro buses from everywhere, pick up in front of dorms, do whatever you need to get kids down there.

There's my pipe-dream.
theres enough smoke in that pipe to get everyone, whoever even logged on here just once...to get stoned for a decade.

this retractable roof stuff in cny, for a private uni, is absolutely freakin hysterical.

:rolling:

What do you do with basketball while the Dome is being torn down and rebuilt?

When Archbold was torn down, it took from November 1978 to July 1980. That's 2 full BB seasons.

This is why I said pipe dream. I didn't take into account this type of stuff.

Maybe do football stadium first, and when that's done you play bball there in the one side like we do at the Dome, and then put up the basketball facility. If we leave bball in the stadium as an option, we can play a game a year there are pack in 40k or whatever crazy stuff we want to do for UNC or Duke.

theres enough smoke in that pipe to get everyone, whoever even logged on here just once...to get stoned for a decade.

this retractable roof stuff in cny, for a private uni, is absolutely freakin hysterical.

:rolling:

img-haters-gonna-hate-panda-352.jpeg

Or, just play both FB and BB at the new place.

It would solve the parking problem.

Or, just play both FB and BB at the new place.

It would solve the parking problem.
or just stay in the Dome.

like they will for the next 25 years+

good god, why is this up for debate?????????

Oh Lord

Oh Lord

It's a fun off-season thread. I agree that we're in the Dome for a while, hence the upgrades they're doing this summer. However, it's fun to speculate.

It's a fun off-season thread. I agree that we're in the Dome for a while, hence the upgrades they're doing this summer. However, it's fun to speculate.
its more fun to debate your favorite..."1st and goal from the 1. and the staff calls 4 consecutive freshman fullback dive plays"...than to basically discuss what it will be like when we colonize Jupiter.

:eek:

Oh Lord

When they get around to building a new place, it'll be a headache for the young alumni, not the old alumni ... like us. ;)

Oh Lord

It's up for debate because they won't be in the Dome in 25 years.

It's up for debate because they won't be in the Dome in 25 years.
hate to break it to ya, but SU is not a Pro team, playing in a public stadium...that can threaten to move to LA.

the Dome will be here after your grandkids graduate.

im telling ya, the projects go before the Dome does.

or they will push east out euclid towards ostrom, clarendon, lancaster and ackerman...all will be property and academic buildings 1st.

Oh Lord

Where"s the option of spending 10's of millions on the Dome and leveling the Quad area to create a grand tailgating parking lot? :cool:

I'm for a combo of #1 and #3. Stretch the life of the Dome for 10 years and focus on a South Campus Renovation to be developed during that decade.

STAY AWAY FROM DESTINY!!

Downtown could be an option, but I don't have faith that our city leaders wouldn't screw it up like they did with P&C Stadium and the "Huge Transportation Center" that went with it. :crazy:

So many different ways to go...vote your vision...tell us why.

Any of the last four options are not going, or at least for many years, and not close to the current configuration.

The Carrier Dome is the 12th newest college football stadium with a capacity of at least 30K. Since it was built, only three newer college venues have more seating, TCF by 1,500, Stanford by 750, and Rutgers with the expansion of 3,200. That's it, thats the list. Everything else built other than those three is 45K or less, and obviously all open air.

If there is a new stadium it will be around 42K open air. The Dome will NEVER be replaced with another covered facility.

Here's a little note, the Carrier Dome is 25th in capacity for roofed stadiums in the world.

The Dome is not old by any standard outside of the NFL, it's is unique, and for a private university in a community of this size to have a facility like this is remarkable. To talk of replacing it is insane.

Any of the last four options are not going, or at least for many years, and not close to the current configuration.

The Carrier Dome is the 12th newest college football stadium with a capacity of at least 30K. Since it was built, only three newer college venues have more seating, TCF by 1,500, Stanford by 750, and Rutgers with the expansion of 3,200. That's it, thats the list. Everything else built other than those three is 45K or less, and obviously all open air.

If there is a new stadium it will be around 42K open air. The Dome will NEVER be replaced with another covered facility.

Here's a little note, the Carrier Dome is 25th in capacity for roofed stadiums in the world.

The Dome is not old by any standard outside of the NFL, it's is unique, and for a private university in a community of this size to have a facility like this is remarkable. To talk of replacing it is insane.
that is a great stat.

part of the charm of college football is that the stadiums aren't all brand new cookie cutter space ships dropping out of the sky.

if the dome is so old and so crappy, why are schools with more money and older stadiums not replacing them?

if the dome is so old and so crappy, why are schools with more money and older stadiums not replacing them?

They're busy furthering the mission of their educational institution by spending $100 million for a glorified weight room and club house.

its more fun to debate your favorite..."1st and goal from the 1. and the staff calls 4 consecutive freshman fullback dive plays"

Do not hand it off to freshman Dee Brown.

I'd like there to be a new stadium on, or near, campus. In the meantime, things I'd like to see. Some easy, some cheap, some pie in the sky.

1. The dome is reminiscent of the Manley fieldhouse for BB. Crowd is very close to the field. Research what made Manley the zoo it was and mimic it for football. "You! You! You!"
2. Use what the dome has and others don't. In Buffalo, when the Sabres hockey team is introduced, it is a combination light show and team highlights projected onto the ice. SU should get a ribbonboard going, an intro using the video screens with SU highlights, combined with laser light show, maybe even video, projected on the dome "ceiling." Imagine a recruit walking into the dome and being "introduced" as part of SU history combined with a laser light show. Or a mini burst of laser lights when SU scores.
3. Put a brick facade on the dome exterior. Make it more collegiate looking and less industrial district.
4. More band, less recorded tunes during breaks. And less, freakin' announcements. What happened to the low brass playing "Theme from Underdog"?
5. More fun in the dome. It was more interesting when a variety of creatures and mascots roamed. The Dome Ranger, Beast of the East, etc. We can be serious about SU football without being solemn.

Overall, good post. I love 1, 3, 4 and 5, but hate 2.

I feel like 2 and 3 contradict each other. I love the idea of the brick facade, but I feel like a laser light show is much more WWE or Arena League Football than it is collegiate looking.

We should fill it first and for the life of me I cannot figure out why we are not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
colpars13

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom