FWIW...Student mask compliance... | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

FWIW...Student mask compliance...

if the schools didnt try in person most would be out of business or have severe layoffs. I have no issue with them trying to get kids back into school at the college level.. much more issue with grade schools trying the same thing.

The kids knew what was happening, what the simple thing to do was.. My kid knows at her school the stakes and has no issue with it.

And if huge numbers of kids took a gap yr the school is financially in trouble too.

They have no good answers just like all the other business's that have issues.

I agree with you that personal responsibility matters and that the students bear a heavy share of the blame.

But the "nobody forced students to attend" argument doesn't absolve the institution of blame. They created an attractive nuisance, and cynically, in my opinion. They knew they were in a no-win situation, so they came up with a crafty move: instead of proactively switching to online-only and costing themselves millions of dollars while catching a ton of flak for closing up, they invited the students to be the scapegoat, knowing they'd screw up and would take the PR hit for forcing the school's hand to close.

That's all well and good, and it is the students fault for proving everyone right, but it's not an ethical choice by the institution; they've got a responsibility to create a safe atmosphere for students, faculty/staff, and the broader community. They punted on that.
Actually it does. Even if I think it's not smart to go to school right now, and if it were my kid I would have suggested a semester or year off, schools have taken steps to increase safety, and by attending, students agreed to abide by them. Those steps are being ignored. Heck, they haven't even had a chance to use some yet because classes haven't started. Saying the school created an attractive nuisance is blaming the school for existing. These aren't toddlers that are attracted to a poisonous laundry tablet because of pretty colors. These are adults that had nearly 6 months to practice exactly what they're being asked to do now.

I'm here to tell you that you cannot functionally play a tuba with a mask on.

Only think that would fly is percussion.
I would like Tomcat to weigh in on this topic. :)

I'm here to tell you that you cannot functionally play a tuba with a mask on.

Only think that would fly is percussion.

I would like Tomcat to weigh in on this topic. :)
This is why they invented the dreaded Tuba Mask :)
1598062693692.png

You know you've said something silly when even the most positive, fun loving adventurer on this board is telling you to slow your roll...
The sentiment may be correct, but CuseTroop was calling out the spelling error. Perhaps an ironic correct statement despite trying to say something else.

The sentiment may be correct, but CuseTroop was calling out the spelling error. Perhaps an ironic correct statement despite trying to say something else.

Ha! I didn't even notice that. I thought he was riffing on the "I've been quiet" statement.

Great post. Our county Executive said the same thing if it's going happen best it happens now and learn from it when they were all just tested twice. People forget what it was like that age and mentality.

Great post. Our county Executive said the same thing if it's going happen best it happens now and learn from it when they were all just tested twice. People forget what it was like that age and mentality.
Stop saying that. Not everyone has forgotten and it's not accurate to assume everyone acted like that at that age. Maybe we were raised differently, but had I been one of those students, my dad would have kicked my butt. I knew that and, therefore, didn't act like that.

Tested negative but are not in a bubble. Those students can go downtown or anyplace else and pick up the virus and back to campus. Believe there are 7-8 positive cases now. How did that happen?