FWIW...Student mask compliance... | Syracusefan.com

FWIW...Student mask compliance...

Jake

Mod
I’ve been on campus a lot the past week or so. Student mask compliance from what I’ve observed is near 100%. Pretty amazing from what I’ve seen.

Even joggers and cyclists wearing masks. I’ve seen just an occasional person on a bike or walking alone without a mask on.

Let’s hope it continues after parents leave...and when the sun goes down.

That is good to hear. When I was in Cuse a couple weeks ago, there was no one wearing mask out and about. We even saw tours being done with no mask on. All the stores and Varsity everyone had mask so that was good.

and when the sun goes down
This is the key part... When I was in college the only time my dorm room door was shut was when I was sleeping or had umm company. Are these kids going to wear masks every where but their dorm room? Are these kids going to wear masks at parties and indoor social gatherings?

The infections at the colleges I've been reading about have been driven by after sunset social activities. Not sure there is a way to stop that.

This is the key part... When I was in college the only time my dorm room door was shut was when I was sleeping or had umm company. Are these kids going to wear masks every where but their dorm room? Are these kids going to wear masks at parties and indoor social gatherings?

The infections at the colleges I've been reading about have been driven by after sunset social activities. Not sure there is a way to stop that.

Gotta be safe!

2020-08-19_11-08-52.jpg

How so?

The parties and the places that can't be monitored. I can't see people wearing face coverings there. For safety reasons, I'd ask someone who is wearing a mask to leave.

The parties and the places that can't be monitored. I can't see people wearing face coverings there. For safety reasons, I'd ask someone who is wearing a mask to leave.
I acknowledge that, but the point of wearing a mask on campus is to prevent spread to non- student more vulnerable populations.

There are going to be student infections.

I acknowledge that, but the point of wearing a mask on campus is to prevent spread to non- student more vulnerable populations.

If you're by yourself on the quad, do you think you need to wear one?

Of the 135 UNC infections, 5 were employees. 4 faculty infections per 100.

You don't need to wear a mask if you are riding your bike.

You don't need to wear a mask of you are social distancing

As someone else has already said, the true test is going to be if these kids are going to wear a mask at their social gatherings ...which we all know ain't happening.

I guess all we can do is wait and see what happens

As someone else has already said, the true test is going to be if these kids are going to wear a mask at their social gatherings ...which we all know ain't happening.

The latter is to be expected when you bring thousands of kids back. This is what ND and UNC forgot. How did we go from flatten to no cases especially amongst this age group? I'd have been ok with the university saying they're punting the Fall.

How is one supposed to wear a mask when funneling?! ;)

Wanna know something crazy? I saw the marching band practicing today playing their instruments while wearing masks.
I wonder if they have been given permission to play provided they keep their masks on? Maybe just seeing if it is possible?

Wanna know something crazy? I saw the marching band practicing today playing their instruments while wearing masks.

And here I sit at my desk and all I see is the parking lot across the street.

I work at the University and I agree with you on mask wearing. The University is pushing it very hard. If we get up from our desks, we have to wear a mask. All sorts of new rules with conference room capacity, using Microsoft Teams for meetings etc etc. At times it can make doing your work/collaborating much more of a chore, but they are absolutely pushing the health & safety aspect.

Ask the people who work on campus if they think it’s overblown.
I work on campus, and I THINK that most students are going to properly wear masks in public.

Of the 135 UNC infections, 5 were employees. 4 faculty infections per 100.

Keep in mind that this is only for the tested people. I suspect these numbers would be higher if they tested the entire campus, and additionally let's see where the numbers are 5-7 days from now.

And here I sit at my desk and all I see is the parking lot across the street.

I work at the University and I agree with you on mask wearing. The University is pushing it very hard. If we get up from our desks, we have to wear a mask. All sorts of new rules with conference room capacity, using Microsoft Teams for meetings etc etc. At times it can make doing your work/collaborating much more of a chore, but they are absolutely pushing the health & safety aspect.

I think it makes collaborating a little easier, at least for us up here. It's much easier to carve time out to meet when all you have to do is pull up the zoom. I'm in meetings most of each day, if I had a meeting on lower campus, then the next on upper, I'd have to block out 15-30 minutes to walk/bus back up (parking is nonexistent). Add in the days where it's -40 degrees and you're like "maaaan, I'll just meet with that program in the spring".
Zoom meetings are killing me, but I've been able to "pop in" and catch up with many departments/programs that PC (pre covid) I would have only bumped into once or twice a semester.
Thankfully, "beer meetings" are starting to become a thing again