Elijah Hughes | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Elijah Hughes

Your dream should've ended around 2009 or 2010. Nothing wrong with Silent G/ MCW types...but yeah, wish there was some flexibility with the defenses. He's just allegedly visiting. We are just assuming we are landing him.
Nah just questioning the interest. The last one with a wha? kind of vibe like this was Buss.

Not familiar with his game [beyond the recruiting profile]. Sorry -- no insight. Someone I should check out?

Sid is really good. Francis has really been following him and talking him up.

Nah just questioning the interest. The last one with a wha? kind of vibe like this was Buss.

Oh, believe me, I think it's odd but moreso because of our roster limitations. I agree his offers don't say much but the staff obviously sees something they must love. This is a big investment: giving a scholarship to a kid who can't help on the court this coming season when we have so many holes.

Chukwu has three years left.
download.jpg

If this kid does join the program, I think it's evidence of JB doubling down on the Zone. He wants the Silent G/MCW types up top. There goes my dream of 3 guard man to man...

This kid isn't the MCW or Silent G type. MCW was the 21st ranked player in his class coming out of H.S. Silent G was the 29th ranked prospect in his class coming out of H.S.

I guess he's tall.

This kid isn't the MCW or Silent G type. MCW was the 21st ranked player in his class coming out of H.S. Silent G was the 29th ranked prospect in his class coming out of H.S.

I guess he's tall.
Our new neighborhood?

I don't know what to think of this. We are short on scholarships but are willing to entertain taking on a a guy who'll have to sit out a year? What does this say about the confidence we have in landing our top targets?

I like the guy's size, but I just don't see the match right now. I want to be excited, but truth be told I'm not.
Why is everyone saying we are short on skips. What we are short on is players at key positions.

Has it really come to the point where we're recruiting a kid who averaged 8 points and 2 rebounds while shooting under 35%fg/27% from 3 at East Carolina?
Gib didnt play at Duke, Ata didnt play at Maryland in football, BJ didnt play at Syracuse.

Why is everyone saying we are short on skips. What we are short on is players at key positions.

Let me clarify... we have a scholarship reduction, which in my opinion, means we need to be more judicious about whom we offer a scholarship. Taking someone who has to sit out a year, and who lacks a jump shot is not imo the best use of a scholarship.

I think we are collectively hungry for an addition to the team. We lost Quade, and Ayala is not looking promising. Even Tucker is a coin flip. But I don't think that means we take on a kid as a transfer that doesn't shoot all that well who has to sit out a year. Are we really that hard up?

Last edited:
After watching some of Hughes video's I can see how he would fit our system. He would have a season to learn the defense and work on rounding out his offensive skill set. I actually really like what he could bring to the table in the 2018/19 season. The issue I have is he cannot play this season and we need guys who can right now. We need another guard, preferably a PG who can play right away. We need another shooter, preferably at the SF position who can play right away. Hughes would be a great get to add experience and guard depth down the road if we had a full compliment of scholarships.

I don't think any of the questioning and wondering by posters in this thread is a negative reflection on Hughes as a player. I think its more about wondering if we are going to be able to fill our needs for this coming season and still bring in normal transfer player who has to sit for a season. Perhaps the staff feels like they are getting Tucker and will get a grad guard who's ship clears next year (in other words moving on from EA) and then Hughes would shore up a need at the wing for the 18/19 and 19/20 seasons.

Taking a Wes Johnson type transfer makes sense. He was an immediate contributor.

Taking another project when we are short handed already makes less sense. I don't want to get another project and if he doesn't pan out we are wasting multiple scholarships.

Chukwu still needs to show he can play in the rotation.

I get we may not bring in 3 playable bodies next year with our open scholarships but wasting a 2018 one on a project puts back to hoping he can play.

I have seen enough long guards who can't play offense. We need more skillful players.

Honestly I like this. Kid can really play and I thought he was really underrated coming out of high school. He has the size the coaches look for, a smooth athlete and can shoot it. Fits our system really well and think he would kill it here.
I agree - I think he would be a nice get. And I personally am done assuming we are going to load up in the 18 class. Until we start winning on the trail, we need athletes and players and this kid seems like he can play.