Class of 2015 - G Franklin Howard (MD) Verballed to Syracuse | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 G Franklin Howard (MD) Verballed to Syracuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished watching a bit of PVI's opening round game out in the Bass Pro TOC tourney in Missouri. They won by 31pts and the opponent wasn't any good so it was hard to take anything too seriously. Regardless Frank(12pts) had some good moments with a few aggressive drives inside to draw several fouls and also had some nice assist showing off his good vision. VJ King led the way with 18pts on mostly transition finishes and buckets around the basket. Had a nasty crossover on a victim that had me like th_shaqoohhh.png .

PVI will have their rematch against Oak Hill televised live tonight at 9pm on CBS Sports Net.

My impression is Howard is the 4 or 5 year glue guy for Cuse?
I would concur. Similar MikeG role. He's going to shoot, he's going to slash. But I think he'll show us a little more passing and more of a combo/point at this stage than G was in high school. I don't think he will do that interchangeable forward/guard thing that Mike does, though.

I'm recording the game but checked in for about 5 minutes (game time, not real time), and Oak Hill is dominating so it's not a great sample to judge Howard. However, from his size and frame, and the way he moves and handles the ball, he's reminding me of MCW. Don't think he has quite the passing ability right now, but that's the closest comparison to use for SU fans, from what I can see.

One thing I don't like about his jumper is that he really kicks his feet, particularly his right foot out on long jumpers, and I don't know how to describe it but it doesn't seem like he fully extends his shooting arm on his release...the elbow is always just a little bit bent, even at the point of release.

He's looking pretty rangy and athletic and was running the point for about 50% of the time I was watching so far. Plan on watching the full game and writing something up on him either late tonight or early tomorrow.

Clearly a lot of potential.

Last edited:
I would concur. Similar MikeG role. He's going to shoot, he's going to slash. But I think he'll show us a little more passing and more of a combo/point at this stage than G was in high school. I don't think he will do that interchangeable forward/guard thing that Mike does, though.
His team was clearly over matched. They play that game 10 times and oak hill wins all of them going away. As for Howard I like his size. He has a nice composure to him on the floor though he does seem to show that the year of lost experience did hurt him in his development and decision making. His shot has a ways to go as well, but he sees the floor well. Generally speaking I like him as a pg in our system for those two reasons cited (composure and seeing the floor). I would be surprised if we get much out of him as a Fr, but a year in our system will get him a lot closer to being where we need him. He has great size for a pg and can attack the rim, nice athleticism but it's not elite. His handle look solid but could use some work in order to really be comfortable at the high D1 level. All in all I like him and the potential is there. Biggest question mark for me is his shooting right now but it appears like it's something that can certainly be worked with. It will be interesting to see how much he improves from now until he steps on campus.

Here's my quick take on Frank from watching a little more of his game. Really, really reminds me of MCW in the way he moves around the court. Very similar not just in size, but movement as well.

http://.com/hoops-recruiting-checking-out-frank-howard/

Here's my quick take on Frank from watching a little more of his game. Really, really reminds me of MCW in the way he moves around the court. Very similar not just in size, but movement as well.

http://.com/hoops-recruiting-checking-out-frank-howard/
You're killing it lately. A man on a mission.
thumbsjek.jpg

Last night was the first time I got to watch Frank for an extended period, and not just in highlight reels. I'd be curious to know if the folks who have watched him more agree with the general assessment.

Last night was the first time I got to watch Frank for an extended period, and not just in highlight reels. I'd be curious to know if the folks who have watched him more agree with the general assessment.
Your assessment is pretty much spot on. I think the overall consensus see him as more Silent G like than MCW. Imho I'm not sure that I see a true fulltime PG in his future, but I think he'll be adequate enough to split time there and become a big time playmaker with the ball in his hands.

Your assessment is pretty much spot on. I think the overall consensus see him as more Silent G like than MCW. Imho I'm not sure that I see a true fulltime PG in his future, but I think he'll be adequate enough to split time there and become a big time playmaker with the ball in his hands.
I can see that as well. I just can't shake how eerily similar his movements looked to MCW. His body positioning, the way he handles...everything in his movements just screamed "MCW" at me.

Sounds like Frank bounced back nicely from his rough game against Oak Hill. Good to hear it.

I can see that as well. I just can't shake how eerily similar his movements looked to MCW. His body positioning, the way he handles...everything in his movements just screamed "MCW" at me.
Starting to see this. Just attacking in the open court. Like MCW, those long strides, yet he seems so quick, agile with the bounce. Man, if he becomes as good with the handle as MCW. Already he stepped into the lane for a steal but his passing might already be on par with MCW.

First time I've seen him play.

Great passer, good floor vision, very good penetrator.

Seems to have an average shot outside 10 feet.

Clearly see the MCW similarities.

He's definitely a point guard.

And I could see him spelling Joseph at times next year.

cuseguy said:
First time I've seen him play. Great passer, good floor vision, very good penetrator. Seems to have an average shot outside 10 feet. Clearly see the MCW similarities. He's definitely a point guard. And I could see him spelling Joseph at times next year.

100% a PG. Has all the positives you mentioned, especially the passing, but doesn't have much of a shot. I know it's HS, but he doesn't seem to out a lot of effort into defense though.

First time I've seen him play.

Great passer, good floor vision, very good penetrator.

Seems to have an average shot outside 10 feet.

Clearly see the MCW similarities.

He's definitely a point guard.

And I could see him spelling Joseph at times next year.
Not seeing a lot of defensive effort from Frank

Canadian said:

I think that's one of the knocks on him.

Skates and floats a lot.

He'd really push Joseph if he was a good defender because he has the length and is disruptive in the passing lanes.

But that lackadaisical attitude on D isn't cutting it with JB.

I could swear I saw him move out of the way of the cutter on a break. Believe me, he will learn if he wants run. He did just have a dunk in the open court to get into double digits scoring now. Had a bunch of great passes already, but little defense being played.

Man, they just replayed Franky's dunk. Nasty one handed, elevated and looks like he took off from far away.

King now has 32 points for Paul VI. Him and Franklin are the only ones right now, but they can cut it to 10, were down a good 17+ earlier in the quarter. 4:24 left.

Status
Not open for further replies.