Class of 2020 - G Kadary Richmond (NY/Brewster Academy) Portal to St Johns | Page 103 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 G Kadary Richmond (NY/Brewster Academy) Portal to St Johns

To me it feels like this approach is going to lead to a really easy-to-root for roster that ends up on the bubble or in the NIT. There is just not enough difference-making talent right now to be a top 25 team.
One thing that I wouldn't under estimate is that we will be older. We were much too young this past year. Along with our other issues. We just brought in three older guys. In the age of the ridiculous covid year that put us behind the 8 ball.

Zero knowledge, but I'm guessing 1.25-1.5 million.
Money is the first thing people point too. Kadary had a bad taste in his mouth when it came to Syracuse and how he felt he was treated. It was probably never going to happen anyway. And the level of interest he he had to come back here was probably less than 10% imo.

Money is the first thing people point too. Kadary had a bad taste in his mouth when it came to Syracuse and how he felt he was treated. It was probably never going to happen anyway. And the level of interest he he had to come back here was probably less than 10% imo
A lot has changed in 4 years. I'm sure the sour taste didn't help, St Johns is closer to home, playing for a team being designed to win, and say what you will about Rick, Hall of Fame coach. Lots of reasons not to come, but Eddie Lampkin shouldn't be our prize portal hit.

It's the second year in a row where we're losing more than that's leaving.

As it stands now, this year is all on Freeman's back. I'm all about in bringing older portal players in but not one of these guys are our will be impact players.

Last year I give a complete pass because it was the first year but this is his second portal cycle and it's arguably more lackluster than last and these names/stats/previous conferences don't give me much hope.
Last year you had 3 starters who had no idea what defense was. You also had a huge number of players who were allergic to rebounding.
The only real rebounder we had was Brown, and you couldn't compare him to a DC, Rony, Rosie, or Melo.

Money is the first thing people point too. Kadary had a bad taste in his mouth when it came to Syracuse and how he felt he was treated. It was probably never going to happen anyway. And the level of interest he he had to come back here was probably less than 10% imo.
But, he called us. And he had three phone calls with us. There were things we couldn't match. We couldn't match the dough. We also don't have a Hall of Fame coach. We also don't have NYC. But, he did call us.

Last year you had 3 starters who had no idea what defense was. You also had a huge number of players who were allergic to rebounding.
The only real rebounder we had was Brown, and you couldn't compare him to a DC, Rony, Rosie, or Melo.
And we kept two of those starters!!!! Lol.

Well, now that the Kadary fever dream has broken, what's the state of the state?

Kadary would have been a high-profile "get," had he come here. We have a big need at the 1, he's the top rated PG in the portal. Hammer meets nail. But now that he's St. John's bound:
  • Carlos becomes a big determinant of next year's team ceiling
  • Hope Westry is [1] healthy, [2] can quickly shake off any ring rust, and [3] can spell the point, a la Copeland
  • Also hope we add another wing shooter, to bolster what we already have
  • I caveat the previous bullet by indicating that I expect the coaches to primarily stand pat, and roll with JJ / Carlos / Westry / Moore as the backcourt

But, he called us. And he had three phone calls with us. There were things we couldn't match. We couldn't match the dough. We also don't have a Hall of Fame coach. We also don't have NYC. But, he did call us.

What do we have to spend and who can it get us are the questions.

Latest update from the Johnnies board is that one guy says Kadary is a done deal and he will announce tomorrow (now today) for St John’s, Another has heard about Illinois getting involved and is worried about them.

Absolutely no one has heard about Syracuse getting involved. They are totally clueless on our involvement.

An Illini board says Kadary is in play for them.

I guess we will know a lot more by the end of today.

clearly Red didn’t have enough $$$$ to spend
That isn’t a good sign that we can’t beat out St John’s for NIL

I'm not calling you out with this response, just reacting to the info you summarize.

If that is true, then it is incredibly disappointing. Because it says a lot about our NIL wherewithal [or lack thereof].

Since we “couldn’t” match the dough, what was the price we couldn’t/wouldnt match? Because im skeptical af at all these numbers that are being thrown around and its nothing personal against you.

Since we “couldn’t” match the dough, what was the price we couldn’t/wouldnt match? Because im skeptical af at all these numbers that are being thrown around and its nothing personal against you.
I don't take it personal. I have no idea what the money was.

I'm not calling you out with this response, just reacting to the info you summarize.

If that is true, then it is incredibly disappointing. Because it says a lot about our NIL wherewithal [or lack thereof].
I think it is safe to say that we have more money than some and not as much as others. I would compare it to poker tournaments that I have played in. With small numbers left, I don't have to have the most chips to win the tournament. But I have to have enough to not be desperate and to be able to compete.

Problem is we keep saying this or finding other reasons. At some point the staff needs to own it that they’re not selling and closing.
No it’s pretty simple.. purely about money. St Johns made an absurd offer. He took it. No other program in the United States was going to make an offer like that. Stop blaming coaches. In this day and age it’s purely about MONEY.

WOW - 103 pages and counting to obsess over a kid we had very little chance to get - just sayin.....

And I’ll say this. For those who want info about money. Cuse has offered a player 600k for a year and they said no and went elsewhere. Don’t want to hear they aren’t trying to pay bc they are. But these kids are just taking the highest offer and some pockets are deeper than others

Problem is we keep saying this or finding other reasons. At some point the staff needs to own it that they’re not selling and closing.
I was in financial sales for 44 years. Sometimes, I would lose out on a client to another financial "sales rep" when that rep lied about their product. Out and out lied about the returns. Did I lose out because I wasn't closing? No. I lost out because the other guy lied and I wouldn't. Now, if you are offered 400k and the other guy offers you 800k, and you take the 800k, did the guy that offered you 400k fail to close? Or was he or she just not competitive with their offer?

And I’ll say this. For those who want info about money. Cuse has offered a player 600k for a year and they said no and went elsewhere. Don’t want to hear they aren’t trying to pay bc they are. But these kids are just taking the highest offer and some pockets are deeper than others
Was it Malik Mack?