Class of 2016 - G Kevin Huerter (NY) to Maryland | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 G Kevin Huerter (NY) to Maryland

Wondered if we would go after Huerter or a big now...

If we didn't go after a big with all the guards we have coming in along with the ones we currently have somebody should have their head checked.

We might be able to offer this kid a 2016 scholarship now.

Sucks, but I would love to land Huerter.

I have a feeling that--relatively speaking--he could be the Steve Blake to Battle's Stevie Francis [not predicting that Battle is going to have the same career arc, just that Huerter is a capable player who is also a shot maker, who would make a great four year program guy].

We don't need any more guards. The entire roster is practically wing players and we're bringing in two more in 2016. We are going to get crushed by ACC big men. Can you imagine anyone on this current roster who is going to keep the bigs of North Carolina from doing anything they want? It was bad enough last year with Rak. It's going to be embarassing this year. We will have no back ups next year either unless they bring someone else in. Does this coaching staff expect one big man to play 40 minutes every game?

We don't need any more guards. The entire roster is practically wing players and we're bringing in two more in 2016. We are going to get crushed by ACC big men. Can you imagine anyone on this current roster who is going to keep the bigs of North Carolina from doing anything they want? It was bad enough last year with Rak. It's going to be embarassing this year. We will have no back ups next year either unless they bring someone else in. Does this coaching staff expect one big man to play 40 minutes every game?

Theoretically, if nobody leaves we could have Roberson, Coleman, Moyer, Chukwu, and Okoboh next year at the four and 5. I would think Moyer and Lydon are more 3/4's. You can have a really good team with those group of guys, but it's a big if to expect them all to be here. Everyone thinks we are going to be great next year, but we didn't even know who is going to be here in October this year in August, so I think it's premature to expect to be great next season.

I love Huerter as a player and would love to have him, but he's not going to contribute until 2017 most likely. We will have Battle, Malachi, Joseph, Howard all ahead of him. He would be in Cooney's position on the 11-12 team when he redshirted.

Theoretically, if nobody leaves we could have Roberson, Coleman, Moyer, Chukwu, and Okoboh next year at the four and 5. I would think Moyer and Lydon are more 3/4's. You can have a really good team with those group of guys, but it's a big if to expect them all to be here. Everyone thinks we are going to be great next year, but we didn't even know who is going to be here in October this year in August, so I think it's premature to expect to be great next season.

I love Huerter as a player and would love to have him, but he's not going to contribute until 2017 most likely. We will have Battle, Malachi, Joseph, Howard all ahead of him. He would be in Cooney's position on the 11-12 team when he redshirted.

IF Coleman returns for his fifth year [which is no guarantee], then the depth probelm in the pivot is rectified. Chukwu starts in the pivot from day 1 in 2016-2017, but Coleman would be able to slide over there a la Rick in 2011 to back him up.

If Coleman doesn't return for a fifth year [a commonly expressed prediction is that due to his history of injuries, he's going to want to prove he's healthy this year, then bolt to chase a professional paycheck to not squander a year of earning potential], then we'll be in the same boat the following season with no legitimate backup center.

The equation could obviously change if we get a reduction in the NCAA penalties, and suddenly have an extra scholarship or two to play with this offseason, in which case we could potentially bring in a big for the class of 2016.

IF Coleman returns for his fifth year [which is no guarantee], then the depth probelm in the pivot is rectified. Chukwu starts in the pivot from day 1 in 2016-2017, but Coleman would be able to slide over there a la Rick in 2011 to back him up.

If Coleman doesn't return for a fifth year [a commonly expressed prediction is that due to his history of injuries, he's going to want to prove he's healthy this year, then bolt to chase a professional paycheck to not squander a year of earning potential], then we'll be in the same boat the following season with no legitimate backup center.

The equation could obviously change if we get a reduction in the NCAA penalties, and suddenly have an extra scholarship or two to play with this offseason, in which case we could potentially bring in a big for the class of 2016.

I don't disagree with anything you said there. I love Huerter myself like you, but we probably will need a big. This is what sanctions are designed for. To hurt our depth and recruiting going forward in the immediate future.

Everyone thinks we are going to be great next year, but we didn't even know who is going to be here in October this year in August, so I think it's premature to expect to be great next season.

I really hope nobody thinks we're going to be great this year. This could be one of the worst SU teams in a long time, worse than last year's squad. I think it'll be similar to the Donte Greene team. A team with some talent, mostly on the perimeter, and not very deep at all. I think defense and rebounding are going to be a major issue.

I really hope nobody thinks we're going to be great this year. This could be one of the worst SU teams in a long time, worse than last year's squad. I think it'll be similar to the Donte Greene team. A team with some talent, mostly on the perimeter, and not very deep at all. I think defense and rebounding are going to be a major issue.

The Donte Greene team actually had a higher winning percentage than last years team. By winning percentage, last year was the second worst season under Boeheim besides 81-82.

He may be a good/great player, but at the moment, SU does not need another 6'6" guard, as
they'll have Howard, Richardson, and Battle already fighting for that spot. They'll need big
guys. They had one proven big guy last year. At the moment, they have none this year. Next
year's team is based on maybe a guy who breaks out this year, and if not, on a guy who scored
2ppg for PROVIDENCE in their basketball conference. Rakeem and Fab accomplished about
the same as freshmen, and nobody was excited for them to be the key big guys going into their
sophomore years as some are now for Chukwu going into what will be his, even with the
redshirt. SU needs options for bigs, not more SF/2G guys.

Kev

He may be a good/great player, but at the moment, SU does not need another 6'6" guard, as
they'll have Howard, Richardson, and Battle already fighting for that spot. They'll need big
guys. They had one proven big guy last year. At the moment, they have none this year. Next
year's team is based on maybe a guy who breaks out this year, and if not, on a guy who scored
2ppg for PROVIDENCE in their basketball conference. Rakeem and Fab accomplished about
the same as freshmen, and nobody was excited for them to be the key big guys going into their
sophomore years as some are now for Chukwu going into what will be his, even with the
redshirt. SU needs options for bigs, not more SF/2G guys.

Kev

I think eventually Huerter, like Battle and Howard will eventually all be interchangeable at the 1-3. If Roberson and Coleman are both back next year it's conceivable that we wouldn't need another big next year with Moyer and Chukwu in the fold. Duke won last year by playing 4 6'6 guys around Okafor. I'll take the skilled/more talented player over size next year, especially with the 2016 class lacking talented bigs. We really need to be aggressive in recruiting and get the best players available with the few spots we have. It's not just Duke and UK going after 5 stars aggressively anymore. Schools like Maryland, LSU and Alabama have really picked up their recruiting, as have Notre Dame and Virginia to a lesser extent. It seems like we have more schools fighting us for the players in areas we have consistently targeted the past few years.

I think eventually Huerter, like Battle and Howard will eventually all be interchangeable at the 1-3. If Roberson and Coleman are both back next year it's conceivable that we wouldn't need another big next year with Moyer and Chukwu in the fold. Duke won last year by playing 4 6'6 guys around Okafor. I'll take the skilled/more talented player over size next year, especially with the 2016 class lacking talented bigs. We really need to be aggressive in recruiting and get the best players available with the few spots we have. It's not just Duke and UK going after 5 stars aggressively anymore. Schools like Maryland, LSU and Alabama have really picked up their recruiting, as have Notre Dame and Virginia to a lesser extent. It seems like we have more schools fighting us for the players in areas we have consistently targeted the past few years.

IF Coleman returns for his fifth year, then our depth / size on the interior will be more than sufficient as you suggest.

Give me guys who can put the ball in the basket.

It is also possible that Diagne is here for next year, if not this year, correct?

Is it? I'm trying not to get my hopes up.
Honestly, I can't keep up with the whole thing, but last I read, it was "possible" because he hasn't been declared ineligible yet. Is that still the case...anyone?

Honestly, I can't keep up with the whole thing, but last I read, it was "possible" because he hasn't been declared ineligible yet. Is that still the case...anyone?

If the issue is really just one class, then there is nothing preventing Diagne from taking a class at the collegiate level to fulfill that requirement and take its place on his transcript. Since he's already attained a qualifying score on the sliding scale, he should be able to transfer up to a D1 program at any time.

However, there might be some sort of hangup on the issue of whether he accepts a scholarship or not to play at the JUCO level.

The whole situation sucks. Since the NCAA has dragged their feet so long on making a final disposition, Diagne was faced with losing his student visa unless he was enrolled in college. SU couldn't / wouldn't take him without him being cleared, so in order to guarantee Diagne's student visa, his people hedged and put him in a JUCO.

Hope he can transfer at mid-semester. Best case scenario would be for him to take / pass the class he needs, transfer at the end of the semester, and get his butt in practice by late December.

That's a decent thought, but Okafor was a 17 & 9 guy in 30 mins per game last year. While I'd agree that talent
all around is necessary, as a team you need some ability to defend, score, and rebound in the post. If you look at
what SU has in the future, with their roster & commits, it would seem that they are more in need of a big
body than another 2G/SF-type. SU's best teams recently, in 2009-2010 and 2011-2012, had talent all over,
including a low post presence. In fact, a key reason they were beaten is because their low post presence
was unavailable. Put it this way, SU will have a hard time beating some teams with Roberson as the center, if it
turns out he has to.

Kev

Student athletes should get pushed to the top of the pile. Yes its a free scholarship, but on the other hand 200,000 people as well as the welfare of the team are waiting on them. Compared to 12-20 people for other freshmen who can really wait another semester it doesn't even compare. Coaches recruit them expecting them to be ready to play, not to fumble around with garbage. The ncaa should do something to fix this process they should have a couple of people who do sports enrolled freshmen only. Maybe schools should be able to push up the enrollment date for student athletes and to give them a few more months to get ahead of the traffic, and fix whatever is keeping them from being enrolled.

reward responsibility for 17 and 18 year olds.
just my opinion.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom