G league | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

G league

I don’t understand the logic of skipping college to go there. Is it really worth it, they pay peanuts and are players really going to get better there? What kind of coaches are there? Seems like a bad move just to get paid and skip college.

If he wants to go pro, why not Europe or China? He would definitely get paid a lot more. NBA scouts will find you there and you'll get to live somewhere more exciting than Rapid City, South Dakota (do they have a team or am I thinking of the CBA?).

I don't know. Maybe I'm projecting my own interests onto a 17-year old who probably doesn't even have a passport but it seems to me that there are better options than the G-League for someone like him.

People keep saying this.

I promise you, whatever team he ends up on - they're going to make sure he develops.

Silver's not a moron. He learned from the best.

I believe that if the NBA thought it was in their best interest to develop the kid -- they would do everything they can to do so.

I'm not 100% sure they believe this.

If he wants to go pro, why not Europe or China? He would definitely get paid a lot more. NBA scouts will find you there and you'll get to live somewhere more exciting than Rapid City, South Dakota (do they have a team or am I thinking of the CBA?).

I don't know. Maybe I'm projecting my own interests onto a 17-year old who probably doesn't even have a passport but it seems to me that there are better options than the G-League for someone like him.
Because I'm guessing the 1-year of play before the NBA draft isn't all about finding the biggest pay day. It's about getting prepared to be a lottery pick, even if it's in Portland, Maine, while getting endorsement money and whatever his agent will front.

Why? What's in it for them?

Let's say that he develops REALLY well - then ALL the other NBA teams have a shot at drafting him, with no extra protection or rights to the parent organization of the G-League team he ends up playing for.
You conveniently deleted the whole reason why from my response.

I believe that if the NBA thought it was in their best interest to develop the kid -- they would do everything they can to do so.

I'm not 100% sure they believe this.
They most likely didn't before.

Now though? New day.

They most likely didn't before.

Now though? New day.

Why is it a new day? Because one kid decided he wanted to do this?

I don't see it that way. There's a reason the NBA instituted the one-year rule. If they want to get rid of that and draft high school players again, that's fine. But the G-League was never meant as a tool for HS kids to develop. And I don't anticipate that changes with this one thing happening.

Because I'm guessing the 1-year of play before the NBA draft isn't all about finding the biggest pay day. It's about getting prepared to be a lottery pick, even if it's in Portland, Maine, while getting endorsement money and whatever his agent will front.

No, I get that but he could do that in Madrid or Milan instead of Portland. Brandon Jennings went to China and came back a lottery pick.

Again, I may be projecting my own interests onto him. He may be filled with horror by the thought that there are places in the world where TGI Friday's is just a random, meaningless collection of letters and punctuation. Who knows?

I had another thought: insurance policies. Do G-League teams provide them to the players? Are the premiums subsidized? Is maximum coverage higher than those offered by colleges? I know at the college level, the best players can buy policies via the NCAA, which they pay back once they sign a professional contract. I believe maximum coverage is $10 million. If things are different in the G-League, then going pro may be the best move for the cream of the crop who have no interest in attending classes.

Let us hypothetically say that if Baz came to the Cuse and starred that he would have been drafted as a late lottery pick - approx # 10 overall. So, in terms of draft status, that would represent his potential upside.

Now lets say that he goes to the G-League getting drafted by a team whose NBA owner is a non-lottery team. Let us say drafting somewhere around 20 give or take. The G league team is now incentivized to underdevelop Baz so that he would be available when they select. So, in this scenerio, Baz will get his G league coffee $$$ plus some spiffs, but when time for the big payout comes it might be very costly. The #10 pick over three years will earn approx $ 9M. the # 20 pick approximately $ 5.5M over three seasons. No way will Baz earn $ 3.5 M all in playing in the g league next season.

Let's say Baz even gets selected by a G league team whose NBA team is likely to be in the late lottery, say that same 10 spot. Let's further say that with full development, Baz might have risen to the # 7 slot, just three better. Again, no incentive by the # 10 to develop him.However, had he risen to get drafted at # 7 he would earn approx $ 11.3 M over three seasons. Just getting drafted three slots lower in the lottery would cost him approx $ 2.3M.

So, bottom line, it is hard to envision a scnerio where the G league team will have incentive to fully develop Baz. That team will want to hide his talents if there is any possibility they might be in position to draft him. Also, if the NBA team would definitely not be in aposition to draft Baz, then why develop him at all vs say some undrafted FA who might improve enuf to get called up sometime during the season...not to mention as compared to the two way dudes.

Would other teams then waste say a # 7 draft pick on a kid based upon what they saw of him in HS if he is not doing much in the g league ??? probably not.

I think Baz just did the penny wise pound foolish thing. Time will tell.
This move is senseless from every possible standpoint. First and foremost, it's ill-timed and selfish. After months of being committed, he screws the school at the 11th hour -- making it very difficult to fill his roster spot. He knows the staff based their offers around him, but no matter. He just blows them off, along with the rest of the team and the fans - all of whom relied on his sincerity. Second, from a BB standpoint it's bizarre. No one's following his "trend" because no other top-level recruit is foolhardy enough to trade a small loan and for ten times as much after a year on the national college stage. Third, now he's in a corner. He's too young to pick up endorsements because he can't be drafted. Fourth, relying on the G-League for his "development" is ridiculous. Underachiever coaches, ball-hogging guards, brutal inside play, sequestered environments ... all totally opposite of what he needs. Instead of an elite private school, HOF coach, training/medical/workout facilities up the ying yang, months of competition and TV appearances virtually every game, he gets to play street ball this summer and then get brutalized by 6'10 260 pound 25 year-olds that look like they just got out of prison ... all scrapping for a (long) shot at the league.

Stupid and self-destructive. But yes, he's got that bag of money. When that's gone we'll see how he's doing (if we still remember him).

Last edited:
I think the biggest issue Bazley is going to face is the style of play in the G-League does not really mesh with his "game." He has shown in high school to be a "team player" wanting to do the little things and get team mates involved. There is none of that in the G-League. I keep hearing people mention that the "NBA will have an interest in making sure he develops." That sounds a little Pollyannish to me. The NBA does not do anything to develop the players in the G-league. Each individual team is responsible for this. Does anyone really think the NBA is going to tell a G-League coach "Hey you know we think the Bazley kid needs to work on his jumper more and you should also play him at least 25 minutes per game"? He is going to be playing with grown men 22-28 that all need to show that they personally deserve a contract with an NBA team. Not show that they can be a good team player or help their G-League team win.

Lastly, I think it is very possible that playing in the G-league actually allows Bazley to become a better player...eventually after some initial growing pains. At the same time I think it will cause him to drop in the draft and sign for much less money than he would have as a one and doner. He may also enter the draft with a much lower profile and likely poorer stat lines from the G-league than he would have had in college.

At the end of the day Bazley may have realized he wasn't college material. Unlike professional baseball there is no minor league support system turning hundreds of new high school graduates into professional basketball players. Nobody seems to care much when a player commits to a major college like Miami or LSU and then decides after the draft (which I believe every high school grad is eligible for) to accept the pro offer and ride buses for 4-5+ years playing in front of small crowds.

Pros:
You don’t have to go classes.
You get paid to play basketball.
You play against men instead of college kids.
You can get money from an agent or company.

Cons:
You don’t get to workout with someone for free till G League season starts in November.
You are going to be playing a pick and roll style where everyone is trying to get theirs.
You don’t get the publicity of playing on national TV as the main guy.
You don’t get to play in the tournament and increase your brand.

It’s all about the player. If kids don’t want to go to school they shouldn’t.
Possibly he or a family member made a choice that forced this decision

Why is it a new day? Because one kid decided he wanted to do this?

I don't see it that way. There's a reason the NBA instituted the one-year rule. If they want to get rid of that and draft high school players again, that's fine. But the G-League was never meant as a tool for HS kids to develop. And I don't anticipate that changes with this one thing happening.
OK. I think the NBA is a bit more opportunistic than that.

Pay Pal Cal is laughing at this. He probably has WWW paying his recruits for years (but likely AFTER they leave UK after a year) and getting away with it.
Bazley is the first to do this but watch and see if all the elite UK, Duke, UNC, Kansas recruits follow. My guess is no. There will be some guys who will who just don't want to go to any classes but probably not the top guys in the class. These kids know a 'ship to one of these schools is a proven golden ticket to eventual NBA riches.

This is an important point. If he were drafted onto a G-League team by a parent team that was truly interested in him, there would be a lot more incentive to develop him. But now he needs a little more luck - namely selecting (or being selected for) a team that wants to and will be in position to draft him. He may still do just fine. As others have said, the jury is out on this whether the G-League is a viable alternative to the NCAA in developing talent. But we do know that it's less likely a team will be interested in developing him.
So it’s a G league draft? Or is he expecting to sign as a G league FA if not selected in the NBA draft? What if he is neither drafted, nor signed as a FA? Then it’s overseas? Oy ve

there is always the chance the G league says why bother too..

Forget the salary -- it is about him being able to receive other forms of compensation without restriction. If he goes to college, then he doesn't get paid until he declares / leaves college to go pro. In other words, no $$$ until April 2019, per NCAA rules.

By doing this, he can get endorsement money, he can sign sneaker contracts, he can receive loans from agents -- all without restriction. Not life altering money, by any means, but enough to float him through the year and elevate his family's circumstances in the short term until he cashes in with an NBA contract. So, in the big scheme of things, the G league salary is irrelevant -- it was likely more about removing the restrictions the NCAA imposes on getting paid, and getting access to $$$ faster in the short term.

He could have done that at any number of NCAA institutions. Are you saying he made a mistake when he committed to SU?

I know this is a little bit arbitrary, but I feel like there is about a 10% chance that the result of his foray into the G League is that he gets drafted higher next year than he would have next year after a year of college.

If he goes into the G league and absolutely dominates than I suppose he may improve his draft lot, but we all know that the NBA drafts on potential. The more they see you in situations akin to what you are going to be in in the league the better a handle they get on what your ultimate upside is and the less uncertainty there is around that upside. I suppose it is possible that he is one of the 15% or so guys that are truly studs and seeing more of him reveals that, but more likely he is one of the other 85% that turns out to just be another guy.

The competition in the G league is going to be tougher, more mature and probably better. Given his young age and relative lack of physical maturity, the less likely it is that he is able to dominate and shine in that that environment as opposed to a college environment where his competition is less likely to be stack up favorably against him. Also in college he is more likely to be the best player on his team and to be "featured".

Just seems to me that he stands a better chance of shining in college than he does in the G League and there was a greater likelihood of his getting drafted higher as one and done than as a G league alum. I guess we'll see what happens.

it's also possible perhaps the kid don't like school. play hoops and chillax with the game console afterwards.

So it’s a G league draft? Or is he expecting to sign as a G league FA if not selected in the NBA draft?
It's a specific draft for G League teams, separate from the NBA draft. 4 rounds.

What if he is neither drafted, nor signed as a FA? Then it’s overseas? Oy ve
For reference, Tyler Roberson was drafted 15th overall in last year's G League draft. John Gillon was the 10th pick of the second round. I think it's safe to assume that Bazley will be drafted.

Last edited:
Pros:
You don’t have to go classes.
You get paid to play basketball.
You play against men instead of college kids.
You can get money from an agent or company.

Cons:
You don’t get to workout with someone for free till G League season starts in November.
You are going to be playing a pick and roll style where everyone is trying to get theirs.
You don’t get the publicity of playing on national TV as the main guy.
You don’t get to play in the tournament and increase your brand.

It’s all about the player. If kids don’t want to go to school they shouldn’t.

And blonde cheerleaders. Don't forget the blonde cheerleaders.

I know this is a little bit arbitrary, but I feel like there is about a 10% chance that the result of his foray into the G League is that he gets drafted higher next year than he would have next year after a year of college.

If he goes into the G league and absolutely dominates than I suppose he may improve his draft lot, but we all know that the NBA drafts on potential. The more they see you in situations akin to what you are going to be in in the league the better a handle they get on what your ultimate upside is and the less uncertainty there is around that upside. I suppose it is possible that he is one of the 15% or so guys that are truly studs and seeing more of him reveals that, but more likely he is one of the other 85% that turns out to just be another guy.

The competition in the G league is going to be tougher, more mature and probably better. Given his young age and relative lack of physical maturity, the less likely it is that he is able to dominate and shine in that that environment as opposed to a college environment where his competition is less likely to be stack up favorably against him. Also in college he is more likely to be the best player on his team and to be "featured".

Just seems to me that he stands a better chance of shining in college than he does in the G League and there was a greater likelihood of his getting drafted higher as one and done than as a G league alum. I guess we'll see what happens.

It's an interesting point.

In college, he should by all accounts make a good name for himself, and put up decent numbers thereby positioning himself for the draft pretty well. He's going to be on TV, and getting judged based on similarly situated players only. After the season ends it's all workouts, etc...

Whereas, you're really risking getting exposed in the G-League...I mean, you may not play, you may not be up to par, who the heck knows...and then it's all potential as the name rec just isn't there. The body of work, the highlights that make people go oooooooh, and ahhhhhhhhh. I don't know - seems like in that respect it's a much larger risk. If you SUCK and do nothing, and then have a normal workout, where are you getting drafted????? You have no highlight reel.....

Or maybe he dominates the G League and it all works out...doubt it.

Is it worth it? TBD.

The most Bazley can make is $26,000 but I've seen he may start at $19,000.

Are players really going to get better there? He will be playing against stronger and more advanced players but it depends how many minutes he plays and such. Competition is for sure better though.

Coaches? No Hall of Famers if that's what you're wondering - NBA G League Head Coaches - NBA G League

It's an unprecedented move for sure - can't say it's bad yet. Certainly stings Syracuse but we move on.

a few of those guys have/had dads that could coach

One thing the G league does that is interesting is a single elim playoff with a best of 3 final.

You mean the playoffs aren't 2.5 months long like in the NBA?

You can bet the ranch that an agent has fronted $100,000. There is no need to look any further to understand his decision. When he gets drafted he will be able to pay it back, no sweat. He gets to spend the year focusing on basketball and not worrying about money. If he went to college it would have been one and done. Therefore, getting a degree, and free tuition, is simply irrelevant. My guess is that he will not be the last player to take this route. For most future pros, this route is the most sensible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom