G league | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

G league

Bazley has made a HORRIBLE decision here. I hope he makes it bigly, but I think he’s getting played a couple hundred grand...

You can bet the ranch that an agent has fronted $100,000. There is no need to look any further to understand his decision. When he gets drafted he will be able to pay it back, no sweat. He gets to spend the year focusing on basketball and not worrying about money. If he went to college it would have been one and done. Therefore, getting a degree, and free tuition, is simply irrelevant. My guess is that he will not be the last player to take this route. For most future pros, this route is the most sensible.
This route is junk science pimped by the NBA. They don’t want these young untrained dudes spoiling their system, so they hold them down in some Colieseum type thing as the players get ready to play gladiator. The whole thing is whack

No, I get that but he could do that in Madrid or Milan instead of Portland. Brandon Jennings went to China and came back a lottery pick.

Again, I may be projecting my own interests onto him. He may be filled with horror by the thought that there are places in the world where TGI Friday's is just a random, meaningless collection of letters and punctuation. Who knows?
For the record I remember reading an article about an American playing in China and the article mentioned there was a TGI Friday's.

Interesting part on bazley where they say most nba execs they talked to feel it was a mistake. This ones gunna sting for awhile.

For the record I remember reading an article about an American playing in China and the article mentioned there was a TGI Friday's.

Great news for American basketball players thinking about moving to China! Bad news for the Chinese! ;)

Let us hypothetically say that if Baz came to the Cuse and starred that he would have been drafted as a late lottery pick - approx # 10 overall. So, in terms of draft status, that would represent his potential upside.

Now lets say that he goes to the G-League getting drafted by a team whose NBA owner is a non-lottery team. Let us say drafting somewhere around 20 give or take. The G league team is now incentivized to underdevelop Baz so that he would be available when they select. So, in this scenerio, Baz will get his G league coffee $$$ plus some spiffs, but when time for the big payout comes it might be very costly. The #10 pick over three years will earn approx $ 9M. the # 20 pick approximately $ 5.5M over three seasons. No way will Baz earn $ 3.5 M all in playing in the g league next season.

Let's say Baz even gets selected by a G league team whose NBA team is likely to be in the late lottery, say that same 10 spot. Let's further say that with full development, Baz might have risen to the # 7 slot, just three better. Again, no incentive by the # 10 to develop him.However, had he risen to get drafted at # 7 he would earn approx $ 11.3 M over three seasons. Just getting drafted three slots lower in the lottery would cost him approx $ 2.3M.

So, bottom line, it is hard to envision a scnerio where the G league team will have incentive to fully develop Baz. That team will want to hide his talents if there is any possibility they might be in position to draft him. Also, if the NBA team would definitely not be in aposition to draft Baz, then why develop him at all vs say some undrafted FA who might improve enuf to get called up sometime during the season...not to mention as compared to the two way dudes.

Would other teams then waste say a # 7 draft pick on a kid based upon what they saw of him in HS if he is not doing much in the g league ??? probably not.

I think Baz just did the penny wise pound foolish thing. Time will tell.
The expression "Walking over dollar bills to pick up nickels" comes to mind.

Bottom line on the Bazley decision for the Orange. A sophomore Marek will be better all around than a freshman Bazley.

Bottom line on the Bazley decision for the Orange. A sophomore Marek will be better all around than a freshman Bazley.

Not true. Bazley was a superstar waiting to happen. Marek's a nice player, but not in the same stratosphere.

Not true. Bazley was a superstar waiting to happen. Marek's a nice player, but not in the same stratosphere.
Just like McCullough, but I guess the NBA is not too sure about McCullough now, correct?

So the true value of a player is always changing.

I think the team progressed last year and by keeping the same lineup, it should continue. Never can tell what effect a big name recruit will have on chemistry, or if he will be as good as billed. I like the team we have now.

Not close.

I think we'll have to wait on that. Marek showed a look at what he is capable of doing. I believe you'll see a big jump in his input into the team next year.
The kicker is that he will play better defense than Bazley would have.

I think we'll have to wait on that. Marek showed a look at what he is capable of doing. I believe you'll see a big jump in his input into the team next year.
The kicker is that he will play better defense than Bazley would have.

I don’t have to wait for anything. Bazley was going to be a stud. And we would have been a whole lot better with him.

How do you know he will play better defense than Bazley? Bazley would have averaged nearly half 10 rebounds a game.

I think the team progressed last year and by keeping the same lineup, it should continue. Never can tell what effect a big name recruit will have on chemistry, or if he will be as good as billed. I like the team we have now.

You can like the team we have now. But a team with a potential lottery pick in the lineup is better. Period.

Just like McCullough, but I guess the NBA is not too sure about McCullough now, correct?

So the true value of a player is always changing.

Didn’t say anything about McCullough. He was overrated from the get go and never improved after the age of 15. Plus he got injured at SU, so who knows what he could have been.

I could care less about the NBA, too. Never said anything about that anywhere. Totally irrelevant to the post.

You can like the team we have now. But a team with a potential lottery pick in the lineup is better. Period.
Duke and Kentucky were loaded with lottery picks, and Nova and Loyola have none. Don't think Michigan does either.

Duke and Kentucky were loaded with lottery picks, and Nova and Loyola have none. Don't think Michigan does either.

I think Wagner is borderline. Givony was on Sirius about a month ago and I mentioned an excerpt from his interview. FWIW, he said scouts/GMs are high on Bridges as a really safe potential late lottery pick. Guy who does everything well. DiVincenzo is sick though and probably increased his stock.

Well sadly we will never get to find that out.

I don’t have to wait for anything. Bazley was going to be a stud. And we would have been a whole lot better with him.

How do you know he will play better defense than Bazley? Bazley would have averaged nearly half 10 rebounds a game.

How many freshman coming to SU have been good at defense before late in the season?
How do you know how many rebounds (or points, or assists) Marek is going to get?

Would it have been nice to have Bazley here? You bet! But don't sell Marek short. I believe you will see a huge lift for the team from him next year.

How many freshman coming to SU have been good at defense before late in the season?
How do you know how many rebounds (or points, or assists) Marek is going to get?

Would it have been nice to have Bazley here? You bet! But don't sell Marek short. I believe you will see a huge lift for the team from him next year.
I believe Marek is going to be that ubereruo that we always dreamed about getting.

Interesting tidbit about the G-League.. The NBA just held a 2k Draft for gamers. The Dallas Mavs had the first pick and selected some dude named "Dimez".

The 2k players move to the city of the team they were drafted by and are paid $35k/year and given insurance. This is in addition to whatever they earn in gaming tournaments and with endorsements.

Sooo, gamers make as much, sometimes more, than G-League players.

Interesting tidbit about the G-League.. The NBA just held a 2k Draft for gamers. The Dallas Mavs had the first pick and selected some dude named "Dimez".

The 2k players move to the city of the team they were drafted by and are paid $35k/year and given insurance. This is in addition to whatever they earn in gaming tournaments and with endorsements.

Sooo, gamers make as much, sometimes more, than G-League players.
G league players are barely getting paid above unemployment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom