Class of 2019 - G Quincy Guerrier (QB) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 G Quincy Guerrier (QB) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious, is the Adidas league that Q is playing in generally regarded as a step down in competition from the EYBL?

I guess my take is Quincy would probably commit, but the staff has Whitney rated higher and wants to wait on him, we have seen this before and if we wait too long and whitney goes elsewhere Guerrier may not be around, the "tough spot" I alluded to is do you cut bait on Whitney and take Quincy or wait for your top prospect and risk not getting either. I personally don't think their is hope for both. I am partial to the Canadians but man Whitney looks like a game changer.[/QUOTE

Take the first one that commits (QG or KW). Both are special players. We can't afford to get burned again.

Where’s Marek possibly going?

I hate that people keep pushing this garbage too. Someone said it once and now it's a thing despite it being extremely rare for any euro kids to ditch school early to sign a euro pro deal. Despite that its mentioned here daily.

Really dont understand how's there isnt room for both? Guerrier can play the 2 and Whitney the 3. I'm pretty sure our HOF coach can find a way to have them both on the floor at the same time. Jay Wright finds a way to have 3/4 guards on the court at the same time, no reason Cuse can't find plenty of PT for both.
Unless JB doesn't want to block Buddy, which is a bad move for the team overall if that's the reason.

Really dont understand how's there isnt room for both? Guerrier can play the 2 and Whitney the 3. I'm pretty sure our HOF coach can find a way to have them both on the floor at the same time. Jay Wright finds a way to have 3/4 guards on the court at the same time, no reason Cuse can't find plenty of PT for both.
Unless JB doesn't want to block Buddy, which is a bad move for the team overall if that's the reason.

Unfortunately our style of play and system is much different. There isn’t a need for so many guards however it seems to be a perpetual problem of not enough of them here and not enough ballhandlers.

Just curious, is the Adidas league that Q is playing in generally regarded as a step down in competition from the EYBL?

Yes. The cream of the crop talent plays in EYBL. adidas is probably the worst of the three major Summer circuits.

Unfortunately our style of play and system is much different. There isn’t a need for so many guards however it seems to be a perpetual problem of not enough of them here and not enough ballhandlers.
I understand that but my whole point was there is room for both Guerrier and Whitney on the floor at the same time.

I say we sign em both. Seems like a nice Canadian pipeline so why mess with it. The players will sort out who plays where themselves in practice.
If you take a big picture look at where the best recruits are coming from for college basketball and which ones are located relatively close to Syracuse, it should be very apparent that Syracuse should pay more attention to the top recruits from Canada.

IMHO, we should be looking hard to taking the top player or two from our neighbors to the North almost every year. The quality of the top players coming from Canada has been extremely high for some time now. If they want to play close to family and friends on a big stage at the highest level, Syracuse is the place to go.

If you take a big picture look at where the best recruits are coming from for college basketball and which ones are located relatively close to Syracuse, it should be very apparent that Syracuse should pay more attention to the top recruits from Canada.

IMHO, we should be looking hard to taking the top player or two from our neighbors to the North almost every year. The quality of the top players coming from Canada has been extremely high for some time now. If they want to play close to family and friends on a big stage at the highest level, Syracuse is the place to go.

A good portion of the top Canadian kids are already going to high school in the U.S. Proximity is about as important to these kids as it would be to Stewart or Girard. They are heading all over the place in the U.S. to boot.

A good portion of the top Canadian kids are already going to high school in the U.S. Proximity is about as important to these kids as it would be to Stewart or Girard. They are heading all over the place in the U.S. to boot.
Maybe they'd play closer to home if we paid more attention. I think that's what TC was saying.

Syracuse basketball has had great success recruiting Canada. If the program has made
Maybe they'd play closer to home if we paid more attention. I think that's what TC was saying.
Exactly. When we have recruited Canadian kids, we have had great success. We have opted not to recruit some really really good players. That needs to change.

I’m with ya.

Syracuse basketball has had great success recruiting Canada. If the program has made

Exactly. When we have recruited Canadian kids, we have had great success. We have opted not to recruit some really really good players. That needs to change.

I guess but if you can't keep New York kids in your own backyard then to suggest Canadian kids would be any different. The top two Canadian kids went to Duke (RJ Barrett) and Vanderbilt (Simi Shittu) this year. Not exactly border towns. Kentucky has also added a couple of others in recent years. My point is, the top Canadian players are no different that U.S. players and are even less likely to be beholden to any U.S. squad because there will be even less connections tying them to the program. We are also well past the era up here in Toronto where we see more Syracuse games than anyone else and most of the top kids leave in high school anyways so that draw is gone.

I guess but if you can't keep New York kids in your own backyard then to suggest Canadian kids would be any different. The top two Canadian kids went to Duke (RJ Barrett) and Vanderbilt (Simi Shittu) this year. Not exactly border towns. Kentucky has also added a couple of others in recent years. My point is, the top Canadian players are no different that U.S. players and are even less likely to be beholden to any U.S. squad because there will be even less connections tying them to the program. We are also well past the era up here in Toronto where we see more Syracuse games than anyone else and most of the top kids leave in high school anyways so that draw is gone.
A number of the players you are referring to weren't even recruited seriously by Syracuse. If they were, we had a great chance to land them. That needs to change.

It is really hard to recruit in NYC. Syracuse has never had great success recruiting down there. We got Pearl but we have spent a ton of time and effort recruiting down there time and again only to finish second or third. There are forces in play in the City that will never allow us to be consistently successful there.

It is a more even playing field recruiting in Canada. There is a ton of talent coming out of there. We need to pay more attention to Canadian players.

A number of the players you are referring to weren't even recruited seriously by Syracuse. If they were, we had a great chance to land them. That needs to change.

It is really hard to recruit in NYC. Syracuse has never had great success recruiting down there. We got Pearl but we have spent a ton of time and effort recruiting down there time and again only to finish second or third. There are forces in play in the City that will never allow us to be consistently successful there.

It is a more even playing field recruiting in Canada. There is a ton of talent coming out of there. We need to pay more attention to Canadian players.
Lets get Andy Rautins on the staff and make him the Recruiting Ambassador to Canada (along with teaching how to come off a screen and hit a shot in 1/100th of a second and how to play some with some serious hustle at the top of the zone)

I've actually heard that recruiting Toronto area kids is also a bit 'messy' for lack of a better word. Lots of outside influences there with some similarities to recruiting NYC area.

There were some other Canadian guys we just had no shot with as well. Wiggins, Tristan Thompson, Kabongo, etc. Those dudes who go prep at Findlay seemed to never be options...I think Barnes/Texas and Findlay had a pipeline going for awhile.

I've actually heard that recruiting Toronto area kids is also a bit 'messy' for lack of a better word. Lots of outside influences there with some similarities to recruiting NYC area.
I believe it has its challenges, especially as Canadian basketball continues its remarkable ascendance as a basketball hotbed.

But it has to be easier to recruit there than NYC. I get the strong feeling almost every AA that area produces is looking to get paid to sign.

Could it be possible the Toronto metro area is producing more great players than NYC these days? I haven't taken the time to count but I wouldn't be surprised if this were true.

Lets get Andy Rautins on the staff and make him the Recruiting Ambassador to Canada (along with teaching how to come off a screen and hit a shot in 1/100th of a second and how to play some with some serious hustle at the top of the zone)
Also to teach hands upand not down

I believe it has its challenges, especially as Canadian basketball continues its remarkable ascendance as a basketball hotbed.

But it has to be easier to recruit there than NYC. I get the strong feeling almost every AA that area produces is looking to get paid to sign.

Could it be possible the Toronto metro area is producing more great players than NYC these days? I haven't taken the time to count but I wouldn't be surprised if this were true.
The Mecca in Decline

Status
Not open for further replies.