Class of 2023 - G Reid Ducharme (MA / Brewster) Offered | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 G Reid Ducharme (MA / Brewster) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
whats kind of scary/sad in the same part that no one has mentioned...

All of the games the coaches watched (including JB)...all the recruits they went to every AAU game for...are all gone/wont come here. It was like the effort they did try to do in the summer time is all a waste. I honestly can't remember the last time this has happened where we watched all of the games/majority of games for X amount of recruits in the summer and we don't land any of them.

If this doesn't send warning signs to the fan base as well as the AD I don't know what would.

whats kind of scary/sad in the same part that no one has mentioned...

All of the games the coaches watched (including JB)...all the recruits they went to every AAU game for...are all gone/wont come here. It was like the effort they did try to do in the summer time is all a waste. I honestly can't remember the last time this has happened where we watched all of the games/majority of games for X amount of recruits in the summer and we don't land any of them.
Yup! When Hop was here and we did that…it made it obvious who our priority targets were and you felt pretty good about our chances of landing them. We did it with Ennis, Kaleb Joseph, McCullough, Lydon, just to name a few when Hop was here. We don’t have that kinda recruiter anymore and we desperately need it.

Also the people that point to last years class and how it was highly ranked. Don’t get me wrong it’s a good class. But we had 6 kids in the class….most other classes have 2-4 players in it. Our classes was highly rated just based on pure number of players in the class. Obviously the Mintz, Taylor’s, and Bunch are great gets. But the Brown’s, Carey’s and Copelands are projects which means half the class is a project. You get a 6 kid recruiting class at the Dukes, UK’s KU’s…hell even UVAs, FSUs, NOVAs, Louisville’s they are all likely top 2-3 classes. And we have a 6 player class scratching to be a top 15 class….says all you need to know.

We weren’t even recruiting against this big boys and we still missed. Pretty sad. The uncertainty in this program has to come to an end now. JW has to come out and say this is JB’s last year. I don’t care if he can still coach. Recruiting can’t keep going on this way even if JP commits.

JB absolutely screwed up this recruitment. There’s no sugarcoating this.
And Sean Miller is absolutely a cheater. If you know for sure every minute detail about this recruiting then please share. I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm just saying Miller is no saint.

If 17-year old me tried to commit to a school and the head coach told me that they wanted me to wait to see what else shook out I’m not sure that I ever could have gotten my mother to sign off on playing for that guy

And Sean Miller is absolutely a cheater. If you know for sure every minute detail about this recruiting then please share. I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm just saying Miller is no saint.
You don’t need to cheat to get Reid. The one comment he made was key. Coach Miller has the same “drive” as me. JB is just going through the motions.

Yup! When Hop was here and we did that…it made it obvious who our priority targets were and you felt pretty good about our chances of landing them. We did it with Ennis, Kaleb Joseph, McCullough, Lydon, just to name a few when Hop was here. We don’t have that kinda recruiter anymore and we desperately need it.

Also the people that point to last years class and how it was highly ranked. Don’t get me wrong it’s a good class. But we had 6 kids in the class….most other classes have 2-4 players in it. Our classes was highly rated just based on pure number of players in the class. Obviously the Mintz, Taylor’s, and Bunch are great gets. But the Brown’s, Carey’s and Copelands are projects which means half the class is a project. You get a 6 kid recruiting class at the Dukes, UK’s KU’s…hell even UVAs, FSUs, NOVAs, Louisville’s they are all likely top 2-3 classes. And we have a 6 player class scratching to be a top 15 class….says all you need to know.
You’re absolutely correct. With six recruits you should be easily be in the top five in the country.

You don’t need to cheat to get Reid. The one comment he made was key. Coach Miller has the same “drive” as me. JB is just going through the motions.
Good point

I still cant get over how you think a kid is good enough to come on an OV but not good enough to take his commitment when at the moment you had 0 other recruits at his position with a scheduled OV. There may have been recruits who said they are interested in visiting but nothing concrete. Take the committment and then see how things play out.

Just mind numbing. Its the whole beggars cant be choosers adage. Or a bird in hand is better than 2 in the bush. Recruiting 101.

Bingo. And he thinks whatever kids he gets, he is still going to outcoach everyone else. So he doesn’t really care anymore like he used to. The buddy thing of proving to people his son was a great player made this even worse of “I told you so and I’ll show you”. Big whiff here by JB

If they loose JP, this recruiting class is empty so it’s the perfect time to announce JB’s retirement. You’ve already lost the 2023 class so pull the band aide off and get it over with. The next coach can start fresh for 2024.
I mean plus side is you can easily rebuild a team from the portal. Just depends how hard you want to work for those couple of weeks.

Bingo. And he thinks whatever kids he gets, he is still going to outcoach everyone else. So he doesn’t really care anymore like he used to. The buddy thing of proving to people his son was a great player made this even worse of “I told you so and I’ll show you”. Big whiff here by JB
He can't teach them how to inbound the ball.

I mean plus side is you can easily rebuild a team from the portal. Just depends how hard you want to work for those couple of weeks.
This is true, but you know that we put zero effort in to the portal. We only recruit guys that we've recruited before or that fall in our lap.

I mean Reid isn't a make it or break it recruit..A good get? Yes but the world isn't going to collapse. Hell even if we miss JP, it would definitely sting but it isn't the end of the world.

where I'm extremely concerned is...ok we miss out on our HS recruits, it happens...but our coach lacks the need to use the transfer portal to fill those gaps and if he does, he doesn't try and land the best of the best in the portal. It's the "what's the easiest path to grab a body".

The strategy is going to go into the late signing period and see if they can land a late bloomer or a de commit. It worked with Mintz (thank god) but that's not the angle we should go for each year.

I mean Reid isn't a make it or break it recruit..A good get? Yes but the world isn't going to collapse. Hell even if we miss JP, it would definitely sting but it isn't the end of the world.

where I'm extremely concerned is...ok we miss out on our HS recruits, it happens...but our coach lacks the need to use the transfer portal to fill those gaps and if he does, he doesn't try and land the best of the best in the portal. It's the "what's the easiest path to grab a body".

The strategy is going to go into the late signing period and see if they can land a late bloomer or a de commit. It worked with Mintz (thank god) but that's not the angle we should go for each year.
Exactly, losing Reid doesn't hurt in the long run but if we're missing on kids who actually want to commit then what happens to our other top recruits who you actually need to work for or even the portal kids? Every year, it seems like the staff is planning on being two years away from being relevant again.

The fact that fans can see the issues and not the coach (who has a much smarter basketball mind) is the scary part.

I think at best Reid will be an average solid 4 year college player so he won't be a great loss. The issue is not being able to win recruits especially when our competition are schools not in our league (and we aren't even in a top league anymore). If we lose JP then JB really should go after this season as this will prove that a lack of direction is a big part of why we are losing recruits. We need Hopkins back as he is a passionate and great recruiter. Put some solid assistants on the bench to help him coach and we will be fine. We don't need to load up the bench with former players. It's cute but it is not helping us win games and on the recruiting trail.

Jim's future has already been decided. His retirement has already been scheduled.

And Wildhack knows the schedule.

The rest of us will find out soon enough.
Unless you have inside connections in the AD, this is just wishcasting.

Good point

I still cant get over how you think a kid is good enough to come on an OV but not good enough to take his commitment when at the moment you had 0 other recruits at his position with a scheduled OV. There may have been recruits who said they are interested in visiting but nothing concrete. Take the committment and then see how things play out.

Just mind numbing. Its the whole beggars cant be choosers adage. Or a bird in hand is better than 2 in the bush. Recruiting 101.

So, you nail a lot of the key points.

Why bring the kid in on an official, if you [1] aren't willing or ready to take his commitment, and [2] have other guys rated higher on your recruiting board? An unofficial -- sure, if the family wants to come up on their own.

But why bring Ducharme up on an official if you are targeting another guy [cough, Elmarko, cough] -- especially one you don't have an official visit lined up with yet? And then have to dis the kid and his family by turning down the commitment they are willing to make? And THEN not land in the kid you covet more's top ELEVEN.

Completely botched. People can point to JB as the root cause, but the dysfunction from this entire group is rampant. Which is why we need complete change.

Unless you have inside connections in the AD, this is just wishcasting.

JB has publicly stated that he knows when he's retiring, and Wildhack knows also.

“I’m not going to tell you or anybody when this is going to be, (but) we have a plan in place,’' said Boeheim. “A good plan. An iron-clad plan. It’s not my decision. I’m not naming the coach like people say all the time. I’ve had no input in any (athletic director) that’s ever been hired here, any associate AD that’s ever been hired here, even the AD that oversees basketball. I’ve never had any input into that. None.

“And that’s fine. I’m not the athletic director. I’m not the chancellor.’'

Axe asked Boeheim if that means he knows when he will retire.

“Yes,’' Boeheim said. “We have a plan. Yes.’'

Did Boeheim know when or how he would announce his decision? “I don’t have a say in that. That’s up to the school.’'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom