Ga Tech fires Geoff Collins / hiring Brent Key | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Ga Tech fires Geoff Collins / hiring Brent Key

Losing 56-0 ain’t the refs’ fault.

Refs don’t help, either. It was obvious the screw job was on, double digit penalties to 1 (called late in the game and yardage declined) was my issue. For example, we got called for hands to the head of their QB, but yet Terrel Hunt didn’t receive the same calls. Lewellyn Coker (one of my favorite special teams players of all time) being called for a bull spit “halo infraction” on a punt returner who wasn’t smart enough call for a fair catch and got absolutely leveled. Or that Tech was cut blocking someone nearly EVERY PLAY. Granted, we weren’t winning that day, especially given the 3-4 debacle that Shafer thought would surprise them, but game days like that further cemented the notion that we have no friends in Greensboro

High academics may hurt
Haven’t they always had high academic standards?

I also don’t think that’s a good excuse really, I’m pretty sure the NCAA sets minimum standards and schools can choose to change them if they’d like. Plenty of good academic schools have found sporting success beyond that of GT in recent years - teams like Duke, Wake, USC, BC, etc in both basketball and football in some cases

Tech is a low-key good job they're just waiting to get the right guy and contend for the coastal every year

Nebraska and GT, two teams who thought they should be perennial top 15 teams and wouldn’t accept anything less have essentially destroyed their programs as a result.

Tech is a low-key good job they're just waiting to get the right guy and contend for the coastal every year
Well they can kiss that dream goodbye because there are no more divisions after this year

I wonder if they might consider Doug Marrone? I bet he is the guy George O’Leary would recommend.

Doug might not want to the job either……

Believe he has a son playing college football. Maybe he would like a chance to coach him?
His rare “didn’t enhance his reputation working for Nick Saban” makes that unlikely.

While Tech is in a recruiting hotbed, they don't have as passionate a fan base like UGA, Auburn, Clemson, etc.. I work with a ton of Tech grads and few of them care about football. Non-alumni locals are UGA fans, not Tech fans. Recruits notice those things.

GA Tech has very few majors…. it’s tough.

My son graduated from GA Tech and 1/3+ of the employees at my office are GA Tech graduates.

We had a great tailgate for the previous game at GA Tech, although the game (and weather) sucked.

I’ll likely be organizing a tailgate and ticket package for next year’s game.

Here’s the stack of tickets that I bought for local alumni and SyracuseFan.com peeps back in 2013:

82ECB5DC-40F4-429A-92D4-ED95C0E08FA6.jpeg

My son graduated from GA Tech and 1/3+ of the employees at my office are GA Tech graduates.

We had a great tailgate for the previous game at GA Tech, although the game (and weather) sucked.

Here’s the stack of tickets that I bought for local alumni and SyracuseFan.com peeps back in 2013:

View attachment 220425
That’s a lot of tickets to put on your phone

View attachment 220425
Will definitely be there. Bobby Dodd has been on my bucket list and with Atlanta being so easy to fly into it’s a no brainer plus winnable road game

Really surprised GaTech can’t get it together considering they are located in such a recruiting hotbed.
I think their Russell athletic uniforms hurt them for awhile too. Collins started to make GT cool again and had some recruiting momentum but obviously never materialized.

View attachment 220425
On top off of that, don’t forget the 2025 season opener against Tennessee at Mercedes-Benz Stadium.

There’s also the College Football Hall of Fame, a huge aquarium, and Coca Cola museum downtown, not to mention the World Series Champion Braves in Marietta.

It's astonishing that GaTech of today has P5 football. It's a small school and mostly engineering majors. There is a business school. I'm not sure where they can stash football players who really just want to major in football, like other P5 schools have. GaTech has steadily risen in ranking of engineering schools over the last few decades - in some fields they are top 5 in the country (with MIT and Stanford types). It is way higher now than it was 40 years ago. You may find it hard to believe, but Calvin Johnson did the Mechanical Engineering degree there. How many football players in the ACC could do that?

The campus social life of a football player at GaTech is not going to compare to what it is at UGa, or UNC, or Florida State, etc. GaTech may be located in a football hotbed, but it has drawbacks for football recruiting.

Last edited:
Refs don’t help, either. It was obvious the screw job was on, double digit penalties to 1 (called late in the game and yardage declined) was my issue. For example, we got called for hands to the head of their QB, but yet Terrel Hunt didn’t receive the same calls. Lewellyn Coker (one of my favorite special teams players of all time) being called for a bull spit “halo infraction” on a punt returner who wasn’t smart enough call for a fair catch and got absolutely leveled. Or that Tech was cut blocking someone nearly EVERY PLAY. Granted, we weren’t winning that day, especially given the 3-4 debacle that Shafer thought would surprise them, but game days like that further cemented the notion that we have no friends in Greensboro
The (legal) cut blocking was what made me dread playing GT. It wasn’t so much fear of losing as the injuries.

Still mad at the complete screw job that game was. Had just beaten NCSU on the road the week before, the refs had it out for us. They swallowed their whistles for tech that day, with like a 15 to 1 penalty ratio. Big John severely hurt on an obvious chop block that of course wasn’t called…
This? I was there… ugly. Even Otto was too pissed to take a photo with my daughter.

1A09A2F9-A859-4120-9035-FFE354A4F566.jpeg