Game 1 Depth Chart / Game Notes | Louisville | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Game 1 Depth Chart / Game Notes | Louisville

Good to see Alford starting, especially after everyone said he couldn’t run routes and didn’t have much growth. Go figure!
He has physical tools. Took a few big hits to a slim frame that slowed him down. Alford and Barron are two talented guys who need to stay healthy. Both are physical specimens who need to stay on the field.

He has physical tools. Took a few big hits to a slim frame that slowed him down. Alford and Barron are two talented guys who need to stay healthy. Both are physical specimens who need to stay on the field.
slim frame?

Is Tisdale hurt?

Interesting that he isn't listed on the two-deep.

Is Tisdale hurt?

Interesting that he isn't listed on the two-deep.

Wasn't he the one that somebody posted had the worst pass-pro grade in PFF out of like everybody in the country?
(only a slight exaggeration)

I know one of our OL was truly atrocious at pass-pro.

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever compared the weekly two-deep to snap counts from the corresponding game? I've always got the sense that Dino's two-deep is a mix of the obvious, and a motivational tool. Not sure if it correlates to actual playing time for the "2s" or the "ors".

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever compared the weekly two-deep to snap counts from the corresponding game? I've always got the sense that Dino's two-deep is a mix of the obvious, and a motivational tool. Not sure if it correlates to actual playing time for the "2s" or the "ors".

It often seems like:

A - chosen almost completely at random (in some cases)
B - not updated due to injuries in anything remotely resembling a timely manner.

So - "for entertainment purposes only".

Wasn't he the one that somebody posted had the worst pass-pro grade in PFF out of like everybody in the country?

He's no great shakes. BUT he's an experienced lineman who has started games. In a more limited role, I'd rather have as many experienced bodies as we can.

In 2018, Colin Byrne [who'd started games] got demoted to the second unit, mainly due to Roberts returning from injury. In the FSU game, Evan Adams got tossed after an altercation, and we slid the experienced Byrne in at OG. Byrne wasn't as good as Adams, but it was nice having an experienced player to lean on in that situation, and there wasn't a big dropoff in that game.

Not a huge Tisdale fan, for the reasons you specify -- but we've had so many injuries, etc. plaguing OL, I want as many options as possible -- let the coaching staff figure it out. And if Tisdale has truly been lapped by better options, then that's another sign that OL depth / quality is improved.

Last edited:

Yes, he regularly demonstrates the toreador technique of pass blocking.

He's no great shakes. BUT he's an experienced lineman who has started games. In a more limited role, I'd rather have as many experienced bodies as we can.

In 2018, Colin Byrne [who'd started games] got demoted to the second unit, mainly due to Roberts returning from injury. In the FSU game, Evan Adams got tossed after an altercation, and we slid the experienced Byrne in at OG. Byrne wasn't as good as Adams, but it was nice having an experienced player to lean on in that situation, and there wasn't a big dropoff in that game.

Not a huge Tisdale fan, for the reasons you specify -- but we've had so many injuries, etc. plaguing OL, I want as many options as possible -- let the coaching staff figure it out. And if Tisdale has truly been lapped by better options, then that's another sign that OL depth / quality is improved.

Dino has made it pretty clear that they want to have a solid rotation of 7 guys that are good enough to start

5 of those guys are starting on Saturday. The 6th one is Enrique Cruz

The 7th one could potentially be tisdale but could also be one of the other guys.

This is the first time in a really long time that I am pretty content with what we have upfront….the days of having Rhino on the line appear to be long gone

Dino has made it pretty clear that they want to have a solid rotation of 7 guys that are good enough to start

The 7th one could potentially be tisdale but could also be one of the other guys.

This is the first time in a really long time that I am pretty content with what we have upfront….the days of having Rhino on the line appear to be long gone

Make no mistake, I am VERY excited about Cruz. And I was hoping he'd make a push to start, but looks like he's going to be the primary backup -- get tons of game experience, and be poised to be a multi-year starter down the road.

I'm going to feel a lot better knowing that we have a core of 2nd unit guys that the coaches are comfortable playing. Doesn't mean that we have to go 10 deep every game.

Cruz seems like he's going to play a ton. Ialoa? Or is he just stop-gap? Red, who hasn't played in awhile? Bradford is also unproven. Maybe one or more of the RF [Magnuson, Hoeh], although they are unknown commodities at this point. Knowing we have 8 guys that can play is going to go a long way toward me feeling more comfortable with the OL.

But I agree that we have a core nucleus of 6 who will play, and play a lot. Hopeful [given the injury histories of Bleich / Davis in particular] that we can go a player or 2 deeper, just in case.

Yeah, if our backup floor is a guy that's limited but has the benefit of a lot of snaps and experience, that's a higher floor than we've had from the backup OL in a long time.

Thinking of an old Barry Manilow song: Ready to take a chance again.
Thinking again that this may be the first and last time one of his songs was referenced in an SU football thread.
Do i need a self-imposed ban?
Au contraire mon frere! It reminds me of one of my favorite underrated movies, Foul Play. Goldie Hawn, Chevy Chase, Burgess Meredith and Dudley Moore. Just fantastic. This was before Chevy became the over the top actor that he became later in his career. Plus Goldie was so damn cute! But, I digress. You're a Fanilow, Doc, and I can respect that. Oh, and if Jordan returns the opening kickoff against SU for a touchdown, I may throw myself off of the 3rd deck.

Cruz is the swing tackle. JI is the C/G

Everyone after is break in case of emergency.

If a Tackle gets injured I wonder if the staff favors bringing in Cruz at Tackle or if they prefer to move Vet to Tackle and bring in Ilaoa at Center just to have some kind of proven experience at Tackle. Vet was pretty solid there as he played there game 3 through 8 last year before getting injured. I assume Tisdale was there at Tackle the next 4 but not sure on all of them. Did Dakota get a start there for one of them?

My preference would be Cruz at Tackle. I think he'll be pretty solid and we need to get him developed for next year as well.

Last edited:
If a Tackle gets injured I wonder if the staff favors bringing in Cruz at Tackle or if they prefer to move Vet to Tackle and bring in Ilaoa at Center just to have some kind of proven experience at Tackle. Vet was pretty solid there as he played there game 3 through 8 last year before getting injured. I assume Tisdale was there the next 4 but not sure on all of them. Did Dakota get a start there for one of them?

My preference would be Cruz at Tackle. I think he'll be pretty solid and we need to get him developed for next year as well.
I would guess that as well. Either way Cruz and IIaoa seem to be the next best 2.

I think getting a holder that can keep the laces out would be a big plus.

iu

Had to count twice and there will certainly be other attrition, but of the 44 slots on the two deep for offense and defense, only 3 will exhaust their eligibility this season. Wow.

Some of the most important recruiting needs will be…

1 - To keep valuable pieces from hitting the portal.

2 - Keeping valuable assistant coaches in place.

Yeah, given that Bleich and Ellis are our OG's, I guess that's how you get your "best five" OL on the field at the same time.
Which implies that Vet may be better at snapping than Bleich?

Kinda impressive that youngs like Gadsden, LeQuint, Cruz & Hoeh made the 2 deep on O, and likewise -
Jacquez, Simmons, Lowery-Roon-McD, & Jeremiah Wilson on D.

That's either encouraging that they are that good, or a little worrisome that they are the best we've got.
Here's hoping for the former!
Being good at C requires way more than snapping ability. For as maligned as he is, at least Vet played the position before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom