Game analysis | Syracusefan.com

Game analysis

Orangezoo

In the wind
First off Stanford is a tough defensive team. Two CBS teams that like to get after it on d is a great way to challenge this group early on. The cardinal should compete for tops in the PAC 12. On offense we struggled to make shots but joseph and waiters as well as triche and scoop made plays. Fab is a monster on d and is doing well enough on offense.

Against grind it out teams rotation will be 10 deep but 7 guys will get most minutes. Anybody who tries to open things up is going to get run out of the gym in my opinion. James, Xmas and mcw will be the cake toppers come the up and down games.

Keita needs to go straight up on d and not reach down so often. Xmas deserved a few more minutes IMO.

Overall we made enough plays to win in a physical sloppy game.

I liked the XMAS at center experiment but the Stanford guy drove by him for a dunk and he got pulled immediately. What position would you put him in for more minutes? KJo and CJ are clearly better at forward spots.

We were struggling on offense big time, XMAS is not a player you add when you're struggling on offense.

James needs something to happen ASAP. He might not see the court all season if he puts up another stinker. Can't figure this kid out. He looks like an NBA player the first few games of every season and then goes MIA.

Yeah Xmas I think could have helped to stem some of the run of put backs Stanford had but it's tough when he is not a big asset on offense and still gets beat flat footed. James needs to be more assertive against bigger teams. He looks star struck at times.

After such a crazy ending, it's hard to remember how good Fab was in the first half. He was a dominating presence on D.

James did not put up a "stinker." He missed a couple shots in limited opportunity. One of the shots he missed sure looked good from his release. So big deal he missed it. If he had made it people would be talking about how he had solid effort. Be careful of small sample sizes esp. with shooters.

...tough game...we were out rebounded...we won on steals and guts. Five guys in double figures..KJ, Scoop, Triche, Waiters and Fair...shooting actually was fairly good as KJ, Scoop, Triche, Waiters and Melo (few shots) were 50% or better.

we are terrible on the FT line...Triche is the best...

Guards scored, had a assts but turned the ball over...Scoop wit 6TOs

Scoop 14 but handed out 2 asst with 6 TOs...ugh and had 5 steals
Triche had 11, 4 asst with 3 TOs...4 steals
Waiters had 10, 3asst, 4 TOs

Melo is a beast...6 pts (3-6) as well as 10 rebounds and 4 blocks
KJ with good stats even with comments on chat that he just didnt seem to play well: 18 pts, 8 boards, and 5 steals--imagine if he plays up to our expectations
CJ with 10 points and 6 boards..and had what looked like a poor game...

We won...and with 5 minutes to go did not expect that...gutsy team!

James did not put up a "stinker." He missed a couple shots in limited opportunity. One of the shots he missed sure looked good from his release. So big deal he missed it. If he had made it people would be talking about how he had solid effort. Be careful of small sample sizes esp. with shooters.

I don't think he got pulled for that - he got yanked when he got caught 15 feet away from the guy who made a three in his corner.

I don't think he got pulled for that - he got yanked when he got caught 15 feet away from the guy who made a three in his corner.

I think you're right about that. James probably went a step too far out on the guard, but Scoop screwed him over by making a lazy slide, so James had to stay out there longer than he would have liked to.

I think you're right about that. James probably went a step too far out on the guard, but Scoop screwed him over by making a lazy slide, so James had to stay out there longer than he would have liked to.

I think he was supposed to just show there, but he overcommitted and got stuck.

His "d" wa suspect. He was out of position and allowed a WIDE open 3. Knew he was coming out when he did that.

First off Stanford is a tough defensive team. Two CBS teams that like to get after it on d is a great way to challenge this group early on. The cardinal should compete for tops in the PAC 12. On offense we struggled to make shots but joseph and waiters as well as triche and scoop made plays. Fab is a monster on d and is doing well enough on offense.

Against grind it out teams rotation will be 10 deep but 7 guys will get most minutes. Anybody who tries to open things up is going to get run out of the gym in my opinion. James, Xmas and mcw will be the cake toppers come the up and down games.

Keita needs to go straight up on d and not reach down so often. Xmas deserved a few more minutes IMO.

Overall we made enough plays to win in a physical sloppy game.

I don't think Stanford comes anywhere close to winning the Pac-12. If they finish 6th its a great year for them.

I don't see Stanford winning Pac 12 either. I think we might be bit overrated at this stage. We really struggled to beat middle of the pack BCS conference team in NYC. We are not explosive as the team from 2 years ago. That team had Wes and Andy who could just turn the game upside down with their offense. Plus we had Onuaku and Jackson, both very solid inside players. I really like this team though. When we think about last years team, we almost lost to William and Mary and barely won the preseason tournament in Atlantic City. Yet, we did ok... I'd rather see us do better late in the season than early on.

The teams flaws were exposed. For a good portion of the game they looks poor both on defense and offense. Stanford is well coached and looked good for a young team. Free throws were certainly a problem. No way a 5th year senior should be tossing up bricks from the charity stripe.
The good news is that we played just well enough to win and the team showed the kid of grit which is required to win close games. Dirty remains enigmatic in games that count and unfortunately a short leash prevents players from working through their issues. The game was the most physical we've played to date and there was a lot of contact that went uncalled early which set the tone for us. Baye looked at the ref twice in disbelief at the first two calls against him. KJ still has a propensity to drive to the hoop out of control at times, thus the 2 charges. Dion is looking the the straw that stirs the drink but Scoop had his mix of good moments to go with his bad.
It's early and hopefully they can learn from this game. Playing a semi stinker can sometimes do more to help the team than cruising to an easy win. At the end of the day it was a "W" and and they got it done against a team that played them pretty tough. And...Melo is becoming the real deal. With all that is swirling around this team I give them a lot of credit for pulling this win out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom