Game Thoughts (Long) | Syracusefan.com

Game Thoughts (Long)

OrangeBlood

Starter
General Thoughts:
-Not to repeat what I said in a earlier thread but the lack of discipline on this team is totally unacceptable. Doug is in his 4th year, no excuses. I understand it is the first game. But the penalties and turnovers were terrible. We are a young team, and that is probably why, but still, the coaches have to be better.

- Special teams were ok other than punt coverage. That unfortunately, was awful. I am sorry but this is completely on Marrone. Will you just hire a god damn ST coach? You know the type of leg fisher has and ability Mark has, prepare for it! Really frustrated me when they punted to him again after getting burned. Totally embarrassing.

- This game to me, was like Rutgers last year. We were clearly better and we lost. ST and turnovers cost us the game. I was very frustrated then and am again now. Marrone needs to win these games. This program needs wins. Winning solves everything. It is the bottom line. Becoming very frustrating we can not pull these games out.

- On a more positive note, there was a lot on this game we can build off of. Offense had a complete rebirth this offseason and it was beautiful. We went from Doris Burke to Jen Brown. Really encouraged by Hackets play calling and offensive sets. No more Fullback!! No more 3 TE sets!! Shotgun sets!! 3 WR sets!! The only criticism I have is to get rid of the TE flat pass. It never works.

- Run D was also very good I thought. I think we could have used Raymon, hopefully he gets out there soon. The combination of LBs to best suit there skills is really paying off. Have serious worries about pass D. We will not be able to get pressure with 4. We will need to blitz. This worries me. Are corners are much more suited for man to man than we have been, but we struggled big time in zone coverage today. Barkley is going to have a field day next week. I am kind of glad I have a wedding to attend.

Position Thoughts:
QB- Best QB performance since McNabb. He was great today. I loved his poise and pocket presence. Great decision making. Always kept eyes down field instead of checking down. Only mistake was a bad throw to Sales that led to NW Int. It happens. Nassib still struggles to throw the long ball. We got lucky today, the NW CBs are awful. I would be worried if I was them. Misplayed several deep passes that led to penalties or TDs. All in all hats off to Ryan. Heres to more of the same this year. Looked Big East MVP caliber today.

RB- Oh Jerome, he played really well until the fateful backwards pass play. He ran hard and hit the holes. Even showed good burst down field. BUT that play was unacceptable. He has to be aware. He dropped a pass he wasnt aware was coming and made it worse by giving up on the play and allowing a TD. To his defense every one else stopped playing but still unacceptable. Live and learn. PTG was the star of the backfield. He ran hard, made great cuts, caught it well. Played wonderful. Most importantly he carried the ball high and tight, love that. Not sure what the plan with Broyld is. When he came in, he was great. He ran hard and caught it well. Looks more like a WR/TE to me. Would love to see more of him next week. No Moore or Morris, A little disappointed by that.

WR- I have missed Sales. Today reminded all of us that he is a gamer. Team missed him bad last year. Love what he brings to the table. Soft hands and always seems to be open. Wish he would have been more aware on reviewed catch but its his first game in awhile. Kobena is a player. His YAC potential is huge. I want to see more of him. West struggled today. Dropped the critical 2 pt conversion and held on sales screen. I have no idea what to think of Clark. He looks too skinny for HS football. IMO looked awful in 1st half. Didn't know why he was out there. To his credit he made a great play on his touchdown. He is a situational deep threat imo. Got too much PT today. I hope Lemon heals up quick. I think he takes West's plays. Sales, Lemon and Kobena could be very good WRs for us. Very excited about them in new offense. Was hoping to see Hale or Flemming but they must not be ready.

TE- Wales is the new Provo. Him up the middle will be big for us this year. Looks way more in shape and natural out there. Nassib defintetly trusts him. Going to be interesting to see how Stevens fits in. Felt great to see Cutler's hard work pay off. He is an animal and what every SU player should aspire to be. Sugar Bear needs to heal up and get back. He will just add to the weapons. The 4 TEs/H-Backs are better than I thought. I am beginning to think this team has more weapons than I ever thought.

OL- You ready yet Justin? This has nothing to with Hickey, he was great. It has everything to do with Lou Alexander. He jumped more than a gymnast on a a trampoline. Phillips really out played him at RT. Phillips will start next week, if Pugh is not healthy. Macky is a much better player. He looks like he belongs and plays like it. Great shotgun snaps. Chibane seemed better than last year as well. Couldn't really tell a difference between Foy and Trudo. Both looked good for their first game. When Pugh returns and if we stay healthy the lineup of Pugh, Chibane, Mac, Foy/Trudo and Hickey will be best OL since 2001. Very high on this group's potential this year.

DL- MPB impressed me early then I did not notice him the rest of the game. He has to be able to produce pressure. I think he'll get better. Sharpe was Sharpe. Same player. Robinson looked big and improved. He is not a force yet though. Bromley looked hurt. I was expecting much more and hope his injury was holding him back. Goggins made a few plays but like last year disappeared a lot too. Crume can be a solid run stuffer, not a pass rush threat. Jones looks to not be ready. Did not notice Walls. Was hoping he would show his strength. Maybe RS? If/When Raymon is cleared he will be in rotation with Crume. I am worried about the group. They can stop the run but can generate now rush on their own. Really really miss Chandler. With Chandler we win this game and are a totally different defense. Sour grapes.

LB- Every player is put in situations that they can be successful in. I like this about the D. Diabete was a pleasant surprise. Was worried about his size, but he looked ok. Spruill is much better as an OLB. He made plays today. D. Davis needs to just wrap and tackle. Stop going for big hit. He is missing tackles because of it. Vaughn besides his sack had a rough day. bad on ST and got beat in pass coverage. tough matchup against Mark but still. Lynch is a great blitzer, dropped a huge INT. Group is solid but unspectacular.

DB- Shamwow. It is great to see him back. When he is healthy, he is our best player. Some of the hits he lays on people are scary. Just a great kid and player. Wilkes looked ok, not a great tackler and mediocre in coverage. Eskridge needs to play more. Love his athleticism and size. Future star. Desir is a young Phil Thomas. Talks trash and is a decent player. Reddish will be a star and play in NFL. Anderson looked improved now that he is healthy. Now to Lyn, I think he is the most talented of the corners. His attitude/bone-headiness kills him. It was an awful call and a total flop on that critical penalty. BUT he should have never ever even touched him. No George or Wayne except on specials.

ST- It seems like Krautman has gotten worse since his freshman year. He makes what he should make but it looks ugly. Anything that is questionable, I have no faith in him. Fisher looked great. Great leg. Same for Norton. Desir scares me the way he catches the ball on punts. Kobena has ability to return a few.

Without the offense's two best players, the O was still great. I am very high on this group. With the new look O, I think they can be close to best in BE. I would have never have thought this yesterday, but I believe the offense will be better than the D. Marrone has to start winning these games or his seats will warm very fast.

I am sorry this is so long. I will not make it this long again. I just had so many thoughts as it was first game. Also, sorry for any grammatical errors. I stopped paying attention to auto-correct about half way thru. I love SU Football and am thrilled it is back.

War Damn Otto.

Don't mind the length of your posts as you usually have something worthwhile to say. With respect to MPB - didn't he have a sack near the end of the game? Also wasn't it Reddish that got beat on the last NW touchdown pass? I am concerned about the secondary.

The NW Oline is not great but even so I thought Ryan had more time all day than I have seen except for WVA last year. Except for one missed blitz pickup I don't think he got sacked all day.

I give Hackett and DM credit for changing the offense it was fun to watch. Thank you thank you thank you.

Also wasn't it Reddish that got beat on the last NW touchdown pass? I am concerned about the secondary.

No. For some inexplicable reason he was on the bench. Reddish was great today.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

wondered the same thing. on 2 of their td's they were able to get skill position players in 1 on 1 with a lb'er.

With respect to MPB - didn't he have a sack near the end of the game? .
The official stats said no sack for MPB. You may be thinking of a recovered fumble he had in second half.

I remember he had to come out after one play. Can't quite remember why. It might've been that his helmet came off. I also think that rule is terrible. Why can't you just put you're helmet back on and keep playing? i don't get it.

I remember he had to come out after one play. Can't quite remember why. It might've been that his helmet came off. I also think that rule is terrible. Why can't you just put you're helmet back on and keep playing? i don't get it.

Yes he had to come off for 1 play when his helmet came off. But was left off for the final 5 plays of the winning TD drive. :mad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom