Garrett Shrader out for bowl game | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Garrett Shrader out for bowl game

The season seemed to change on that monster hit he took on the first possession against Clemson. Not sure if that was the play he got injured on but it feels like a turning point in retrospect.

Yeah, he was never right after that.

What an absolute warrior... Sad he can't enjoy playing in the bowl... hH deserves to.

Didn't Terrence Roberts play his senior season with a torn shoulder too?

What an absolute warrior... Sad he can't enjoy playing in the bowl... hH deserves to.

T-Rob had bad knees.

T-Rob had bad knees.
yep torn meniscus same type of rough stronger cartilage. Same concept though, you can try and play through it for a while.

Garrett has achieved legend status as a Syracuse football player, at least in my book.

Thanks to him for all he has done for the program, his coaches, his teammates and the fans.

I wish him nothing but good things in the future.
He’s like the Don Mattingly of SUFB; what could have been if he stayed healthy. Future generations will hear our generation speak of him highly and often, and rightly so.

I get the sense that some guys wouldn’t have played at all this year. There were lots of rumors coming out of camp in August that his arm wasn’t right, and Dino’s talk about having him on a pitch count certainly confirmed it.

Speaks so highly of Shrader that he gutted it out, knowing the team had zero behind him at QB.

His highs at SU were among the best we’ve seen here. Shame his body betrayed him.

I thought it was blatantly obvious he was significantly hurt the second half of the season and tried to reiterate that every opportunity i found when people criticized his passing.

The other side of this coin - how bad was our QB depth chart to have to put him out there as our best option knowing how hurt he was - that one will never cease to amaze me.

This play is a microcosm of Dino being fired. There are a number of things that strike me as just bad in this play.

Watch all the wideouts (I had to pause and watch everything 10x) and someone please tell me what Becks and Dinos plan was for the passing game; its dreadful.

Both sets of wideouts are spread and bunched.

Top screen, 2 WR - Shrader is only looking left, I think he wants to go to Jones but it's a pathetic 2 yard out route curl whatever you want to call it, the Dback barely has to move to defend it. The other WR goes deep and out of screen.

At the bottom of the view, one WR is straight blocking and the other wr runs the same 2 yard out/curl. garbage.

Of course the line collapse. Shrader starts to panic at 2 seconds (I know this from the scoreboard clock), But Shrader also doesn’t help himself either, instead of sidestepping left outside the pocket he turns his back on the rush and 360s it. He has no chance at this point to see anything.

We can blame the line but the routes are terrible / the design the scheme it's terrible. No one would've been open with 10 seconds to throw. I also note how much room there is at the lower hash marks for an inside route. I just don't understand what their scheme/design/patterns/tree was; particularly in light of the line play. Anyhow, I'm so happy for a fresh start here.

Beck was wildly over rated as an OC.

Last edited:
This play is a microcosm of Dino being fired. There are a number of things that strike me as just bad in this play.

Watch all the wideouts (I had to pause and watch everything 10x) and someone please tell me what Becks and Dinos plan was for the passing game; its dreadful.

Both sets of wideouts are spread and bunched.

Top screen, 2 WR - Shrader is only looking left, I think he wants to go to Jones but it's a pathetic 2 yard out route curl whatever you want to call it, the Dback barely has to move to defend it. The other WR goes deep and out of screen.

At the bottom of the view, one WR is straight blocking and the other wr runs the same 2 yard out/curl. garbage.

Of course the line collapse. Shrader starts to panic at 2 seconds (I know this from the scoreboard clock), But Shrader also doesn’t help himself either, instead of sidestepping left outside the pocket he turns his back on the rush and 360s it. He has no chance at this point to see anything.

We can blame the line but the routes are terrible / the design the scheme it's terrible. No one would've been open with 10 seconds to throw. I also note how much room there is at the lower hash marks for an inside route. I just don't understand what their scheme/design/patterns/tree was; particularly in light of the line play. Anyhow, I'm so happy for a fresh start here.

Beck was wildly over rated as an OC.
I think many, including myself, were unable to be objective about Beck because we saw him as an up and coming coach, an elite QB coach, and a great family man / asset for the school and community. I still think he has a bright future as an offensive mind in football, just think he needs more time and experience

I think many, including myself, were unable to be objective about Beck because we saw him as an up and coming coach, an elite QB coach, and a great family man / asset for the school and community. I still think he has a bright future as an offensive mind in football, just think he needs more time and experience

He’s a good QB coach.

Canadian fan here - my son and I drove down from Ottawa to see the Wake Forest game.

Obviously I have just a ton of respect for this guy's toughness and commitment level. I am a bit biased being Canadian of course, but I would love to see Garrett Shrader give the CFL a shot. I fear that his NFL window has closed for now with the timeline he faces from the injury - by the time he is ready to go mini camps will be done, priority free agents will be signed, etc. One potential route for him is to do what Nathan Rourke did - go have a ton of success in the CFL then try to parlay that into some NFL looks. This league is a lot better than some think - just ask Johnny Manziel - but it is fun football and you can become a local legend if you do things right. Chad Kelly (Jim Kelly's nephew) threw away his NFL opportunities but he came here and is now the starter for the Toronto Argos and making pretty good coin to boot. Something for him to consider...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom